Logical Fallacies Image Generator

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by The Vaper, Mar 13, 2018.

1. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Logical Fallacies Image Generator

Having noticed some images of 'logical fallacy bingo' like below, I decided I wanted to do something similar, that allowed a user to select and highlight fallacies easily.

[​IMG]

But I wanted to change it in various ways.

• Add new fallacies - like my personal favorite, the 'compliance fallacy' which speaks to the assumption that just because some knob makes a law against doing, possessing or stealing X, does not mean people will abide that law.
    • Show the details of each fallacy, rather than just the title and graphic.
    • Given detail inclusion, the graphic produced might be quite large, unless all the non matches were not shown at all. (So only display the relevant ones.)
    • Given the variable number of fallacies, break free from the 5 x 5 arrangement of the bingo card, into either a table or just one after the other.
    So I made this:

[​IMG]

A description going by the red numbers:

1. A list of available fallacies. Select one to see the details.
    2. The (imaginatively titled) 'Fallacy Details' panel will show the details of this fallacy to make it easier to determine if it applies in this situation.
    3. If so, click the 'Add to Selected' button to see it ..added to the..
    4. Selected fallacies list.
    5. If you later decide to remove that fallacy, select it from the list and click the 'Delete Selected' button.
    6. If you're really clever, or like me, can Google these things, the styles used in the image can be adjusted. They change the look of it.
    7. After many of these things happen, or are altered, the changes will be shown in the preview image. But that's not the last of the possible ways to tweak the image.
    8. Adjust any of these controls to add or remove sections, or change the size of the icon. Even the title is listed here, but the check box for it is disabled, because it's the only part that's compulsory.
    9. When happy with the image, click the 'Create Image' button and the image will first be shown in a dialog for your approval, then saved to disk and displayed in your computer's default image viewer.
    10. There is no 10! You take it from there, champ. Do good or ill with the image as is your will.
    This is a quickly patched together app., so feel free to report any enhancements or bugs. And I'll feel free to ignore them. Or I might decide your enhancement is a great idea, implement it, and claim all credit for it. Talk to me at your own risk.

Ummm.. what else? Oh yeah. You need the Java Plug-In to run it. It is available for most desktop & laptop computers and can be downloaded for free from "download Java Plug-In" in your fave search engine.

You can get it from this Google Drive. If you're clever and import it into your very own Google drive, any updates (no promises) happen automatically.

2. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Looks interesting I think - but what is it and what does it do?

margyb likes this.
  3. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

It's a little application that ..
    .. makes an image based on the logical fallacies the user chooses as being applicable to a particular argument / article / blog / news report. I often find myself ticking off the logical fallacies used to argue against vape. But Twitter (at least) does not allow enough characters to list those fallacies in a Tweet, so I do as I always do in that case..

Cheat and make it an image! :thumbup:

The area marked 7 in the above screen shot shows how the image might look with the current fallacy selections and styling.

margyb likes this.
  4. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Ah, ok... thanks for the explanation as I see what you mean now.

Pretty cool actually.

margyb likes this.
  5. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

That’s too hard for me to understand LOL

The Vaper and RC. like this.
  6. RC.

RC. Senior Member

I know what you mean margyb as I was just trying to act sort of intelligent by pretending to understand what the hell The Vaper was saying and doing.:rofl:

I even download it and can't get anything to happen or to even install:shake:

The Vaper and margyb like this.
  7. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Once it's downloaded it is as installed as it ever gets. Double clicking it should launch it, but..
    Now, when I plug those words in my search engine, it leads to https://java.com/en/download/

But honestly, I'd only recommend a person downloads the Java Plug-In (or the Flash plug-in, or any plug-in for that matter) if they have a burning need to run something that the plug-in requires. I doubt that either you or @margyb have a burning need to do so.

To be honest, I only started this thread so I could link the page from private communications with other Twitter advocates who might actually have a penchant for both identifying the logical fallacies in an argument and turning that into an image to be tweeted. I estimate the app. has a potential user base of perhaps 3 people .. & that's including me. ;)

RC. likes this.
  8. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Ok, now that's sorted and I can sink peacefully back to my ignorance and tranquillity.:shame:

margyb and The Vaper like this.