Mixing in doublers

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jenesaisblah, Feb 14, 2017.

1. jenesaisblah

jenesaisblah New Member

Hi all,

I just bought my first starter kit and some nicotine-free e-juices online, with the intention of adding nicotine VG bought from an online store. Can someone check that the VG I'm planning to get is the correct thing? I only want to finished juice to be very weak (3-6mg). What quantity do I mix them in?

Juices (bought in doublers):
    https://vapestreet.com.au/collectio.../products/wolf-359-ejuice?variant=15961587206
    https://vapestreet.com.au/collections/nimbus-juices/products/tubbs-adv-ejuice?variant=19574052038

VG base:
    http://www.mixologyvape.co.nz/shop/unflavourednic/unflavoured-nicotine-100ml/

If it matters, they'll be going in this:
    https://vapestreet.com.au/products/eleaf-istick-pico-kit?variant=20947022662

Thanks in advance for any advice for this clueless noob.

2. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Hello Jen, the first thing I would say - is buy doublers from Vendors that give clear instructions on how to mix them - Do your research and go with reviews and how much info a vendor puts on their website.
    I think it is wrong for Vendors to assume new Vapers know how to mix doublers and those that dont give good info need to step up and do the right thing or lose customers.
    You will need to buy Zero Nic PG & VG as well as the Nicotine you have purchased from Mixololgy.
    There are many suppliers of this here in OZ.
    I use GoVape but nearly all Vape stores sell PG & VG - when you receive it - then we can help you with your calculations.
    Good on you for taking the first step -just a few more and you will be on your way. :)

3. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

There is a view that nicotine in PG is a better option, because of improved keeping qualities. But if you are buying a small amount, this is less relevant. Be aware you are going to pay a premium price, on the links you have given. Check HiLiq for nicotine prices. Also, check Fasttech for your Pico and melo price. Around $36 there, I think, for that combo. Nice kit though.
    Good luck.

Pippi likes this.
  4. jenesaisblah

jenesaisblah New Member

Is that for diluting it down?

So I'll need:
    - flavoured juice in doubler (already bought, no going back on that one)
    - 0mg nicotine PG/VG (which one? Either?)
    - ??mg nicotine VG

I'm so confused, this stuff is so complicated.

5. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

6. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Yes you will need zero nic PG/VG you can buy it already mixed which might be good for you to start with. I will find some links for you in the Morning but hopefully someone will pitch in tonight.
    Dont worry the first bits are the hardest. We have great people here and you will get help.

7. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

8. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Welcome. It is complicated but easy once you get your head around it.

Most people on here buy 100mg nicotine and that is 10% nicotine in the mixture with either VG (vegetable glycerine), PG (propylene glycol) or both and if it is written formally it is 100mg/ml nicotine. People usually buy it in a PG base because the theory is that it keeps better in a PG base but I don't think it has been proven one way or another so if you have bought nicotine in a VG base don't worry about it.

VG produces more vapour, doesn't have a throat hit (the sort of feeling you get in your throat when you smoke) and can weaken the flavour of e-liquid. PG produces less vapour, has a stronger throat hit and carries the flavour well. Most people experiment to see what suits them which takes time but as a general rule a mix of 50% VG and 50% PG is a good starting point. We usually buy VG and PG separately to use for mixing.

When you buy a doubler it can be confusing. When I started I bought some doublers and bought 48mg nicotine so only I only had to add an equal amount to get 24mg nicotine liquid. This doesn't work with all nicotine liquid unfortunately so you have to add extra PG or VG. There are online calculators to help with this and I use E-juice Me Up but some people find this too complicated to use at the beginning. I can't remember the name of any others but hopefully someone can help you out.

The doublers you bought are both 70% VG and 30% PG but we can't give more accurate information unless we know what strength nicotine you bought. the site you purchased nicotine from has a range from 25mg to 100mg and it should be written on the label, I hope. You will need syringes or something else to measure fairly small quantities of liquid and most online vape stores stock them with blunt thick needles. If you are happy to give a rough idea of your location there might be someone near you who is willing to help.

I swear to you that it will become easier and you will gain confidence quickly so persevere. :sillygrin: Most of us were just as confused as you at the beginning.

margyb, Gasman, Pippi and 1 other person like this.
  9. jenesaisblah

jenesaisblah New Member

No, I don't have the nic yet - just the flavoured things that I linked.

So should I go ahead and get the 10% from hiliq?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Pippi likes this.
  10. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

Hi there Jenesaisblah,

This is a good read and very useful on mixing ratio: TUTORIAL - DIY and calculating end VG/PG Ratio.

http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/threads/tutorial-diy-and-calculating-end-vg-pg-ratio.2240/

Now....before I answer any of your questions, lets get you up to speed with some info.

- RTV: Ready to vape. Like it said ready to vape but if it comes with no Nic then you can add Nicotine to it.(It will slightly dilute the flavour depends on your Nic strength)
    - Doublers: Are generally double the concentrated flavours for you to add your "base" (VG/PG) and Nicotine to get double the volume.
    - Mixing requires: The concentrated flavours/doubler/tripler, the base to dilute the flavour (Either VG only, PG only or mix ratio of PG & VG) and the last ingredient is the Nicotine.(VG or PG)

Ok now onto your questions :)
    - 1st link to the juice you picked was a 30ml doubler, you will end up making a 60ml eJuice with the added"Base" and "Nicotine".

30ml doubler + 28.2ml of "Base"(PG or VG or Mix ratio of PG&VG) + 1.8ml of Nic(100mg/ml in PG or VG)= 60ml Ready to vape juice with 3mg Nic

30ml doubler + 26.4ml of "Base"(PG or VG or Mix ratio of PG&VG) + 3.6ml of Nic(100mg/ml in PG or VG)= 60ml Ready to vape juice with 6mg Nic

- 2nd link to the juice you picked was a 25ml doubler, you will end up making a 50ml eJuice with the added"Base" and "Nicotine".

25ml doubler + 23.5ml of "Base"(PG or VG or Mix ratio of PG&VG) + 1.5ml of Nic(100mg/ml in PG or VG)= 50ml Ready to vape juice with 3mg Nic

25ml doubler + 22ml of "Base"(PG or VG or Mix ratio of PG&VG) + 3ml of Nic(100mg/ml in PG or VG)= 50ml Ready to vape juice with 6mg Nic

- You've picked 100% VG Nicotine 100mg/ml strength. Many people will pick 100% PG as it stores better. Some will pick VG as they have irritation to PG. Any reason for picking VG rather than PG?

- The Pico is a nice unit and the kit is good but the tank that comes with it might be too airy for a beginner. Some likes it with a tighter draw.

I should have linked this page:
    http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/threads/noes-newbie-shopping-guide-revised-2017-edition.4580/

That's everything you need to know :)

Judith, Pippi, margyb and 2 others like this.
  11. jenesaisblah

jenesaisblah New Member

You're fantastic Tezr. All of you are, this is fantastic.

As to why I'm choosing VG, from the page I bought the starter kit from:
    "Coils are designed for high VG eliquids. If your eliquid contains less than 60% VG you will have leaking problems, please purchase accordingly."

Plus I read that VG has a thicker, smoother mouthfeel and that's what I'm after.

If you look at the liquids I purchased it says they both say that the doublers contain 50/50 VG/PG. So I figured I'd need to mix it with something high-VG to prevent leaking.

Now I'm getting the idea that I need the flavoured juice + VG base + small amount of PG nic. Is that right?

Pippi and Admin like this.
  12. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

My usual mix is usually 40PG/60VG but I have used 50/50 on a Melo 3 without any issues.

Yes, you will need to get yourself some VG, PG base, some tools for mixing (I and many others use the "mixing by weight" method as it's clean and leaves no mess) and your Nicotine :)

For the base and mixing tools I recommend GoVape.
    http://supervapestore.com.au

Basedrop has the best price for VG/PG and good quality too. I've got about 5L from them on the last order.
    https://www.basedrop.com.au

Nic - I recommend Hiliq. We have a discount code on the forum as well so we are well looked after by Hiliq.
    https://www.hiliq.com

Mixing by weight thread:
    http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/threads/how-to-mix-e-liquid-by-weight.1406/

Edit: To save cost without buying unnecessary items that you don't need now, you can just buy VG base only and a 10ml syringe with a 18G blunt tip for the Nic.
    This way you should get roughly a ~25PG/75VG from the doubler. You add the required amount of Nic into the bottle with the syringe, then top it up with the VG base till full.
    As DogMan suggest below you might need higher than 3-6mg of Nic depending on how much cigarette you smoke a day. 1 cig = 1mg.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Judith and margyb like this.
  13. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

You might want more than 6mg too BTW.

Some people confuse tar mg and nicotine mg in cigs. Particularly if they started smoking after that info was taken off packs.

Nicotine content is much the same in a "4mg" cig as a "16mg" cig, which refers to tar. Nicotine is all around 1mg per cig, with a few exceptions.

I smoked thin rollies. Now vape 50mg/ml.

It takes trial and error to find your sweet spot. But looking at your kit, 12mg would be a fairly good starting point for most.

Nicotine is not a demon. The harm of smoking comes from the smoke.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Judith, Noe, iamTezr and 1 other person like this.
  14. jenesaisblah

jenesaisblah New Member

Anyone know what kind of delivery times I can expect from hiliq?

Pippi likes this.
  15. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Sometimes I get my orders in four days using DHL but I would say a week at worst.
    Dont forget to use the code to get 15% off :)

16. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

17. jenesaisblah

jenesaisblah New Member

Ooo, what's the discount code?

Pippi likes this.
  18. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

That's the million dollar question...
    HiLIQAussie

Pippi likes this.
  19. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Thanks Tez :) going to bump the thread with it on now :)

20. jenesaisblah

jenesaisblah New Member

You guys are freaking awesome. I'm gonna like this forum.

Judith and Pippi like this.