1. Rest in peace, Aqualung. Thank you for the magic.
    Dismiss Notice

Modding a silicone protective cover for the Asolo 200W

Discussion in 'Modding and Technical' started by Noe, Jan 6, 2016.

  1. Noe

    Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2015
    Location:
    Noewhere
    A while ago, I reviewed the Asolo 200W TC mod here: http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/threads/asolo-200w-tc-box-mod.1595/
    While I really love the mod (it is my "go to" mod now), I was not very impressed with the protective silicone cover that comes free in the box with the mod.
    The problem with the cover is, they designed it so that the bottom of the mod was accessible, allowing you to get to the battery compartment easily, while this is a nice idea in theory, in practice it is not so practical.
    The cover Ijoy includes with the mod, is really only held in place by the firing button, as I predicted, over time it stretches a little & can easily slide up & over your tank/atty because there is no base to the cover.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    So I did quite a bit of searching to find a replacement silicone cover & could not find any that were specifically made for the Asolo, that were not of the same design as the one included.
    So that led me to search for something that could work, with perhaps minimal modding.
    Finding something that had the exact same dimensions was the hard part & of course the Asolo has a unique "T" button for adjustments, so finding a cover that would work with that was also needed.
    I finally decided to try the Smok X Pro M80 plus's cover, the dimensions are not exactly the same but as you will see in the pics with very little modding, the cover can be made to work on the Asolo & IMO it is a better cover than the original included cover, even with the slightly loose fit of it.

    [​IMG]

    This side by side pic is a little deceptive, the new cover looks wider than it actually is because it collapsed a little. Aslo the silicone is a bit thicker in the new cover, so the internal dimensions are closer than they appear on the outside.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    These next 2 shots show where the fire button sits, behind the silicone, the cover is not tight on the button & doesn't put pressure on it but it is snug enough that there is no loose feel to it when firing the button.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    In a previous pic, you can see a flap of silicone that is designed to sit on top of the M80, in the shot below you can see how it has simply been folded in, which makes the cover hug the mod better. In use it actually provides a nice rest for my finger to sit under & reduces slipping slightly better than it would without it being there.

    [​IMG]

    Now you can see where the modding comes in. The screen is partly obscured by the cover & the cover needs to be trimmed to make the whole screen visible. BTW the fire button does not sit behind the fire button mark on the cover, it actually sits above that on the blank silicone.
    The "T" button I could have cut out on the cover but decided against it, the button wouldn't sit into the cut out properly anyway due to the loose fit of the cover, so leaving the cover intact there made more sense to me.
    It is still easy to make adjustements, the "+" button is where the top of the "T" sits behind, so pushing to either left or right of the "+" works tthe + or - functions, the bottom of the "T" can be adjusted by pressing on the "-" on the cover. The feel is a little sloppy when using the "T" button adjustments, due to the cover but in normal use the "T" button is rarely used, so this really isn't an issue.

    [​IMG]

    I was short on time when doing this, so my preciseness with the cuts wasn't as good as it could have been, however I didn't trim as much as was needed, which will allow me to go back & tidy up.
    First I measured & marked with a pencil (less than I actually needed to trim) on the outer cover, then I put a wooden clothes peg under the silicone I was going to trim, so I wouldn't cut into parts of the cover I didn't want cut (any hard object would do, the peg just seemed like a good fit). I used an artists scalpel knife to cut the silicone away that wasn't needed, a stanley knife would do the same job, the important thing is to use a very sharp blade (& not cut yourself), the sharper the better or you will end up with unclean slices.
    The photos make the cuts look worse than they actually are but had I used a blunter knife they would look even worse, yes the cut wasn't quite square but I was in a hurry & I left room to tidy that up. ;)

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    So now I have a cover that works the way I want it to for my Asolo, it's not perfect but it is better than the included cover IMO. I would still buy a similar factory made cover, that should fit the dimensions better, if they were produced but currently this is the best option for a silicone cover on the Asolo I think.
     
    Aqualung, rupert and laurie9300 like this.

Share This Page