Mods - What's really important?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Charles Vaper, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Mods have evolved quite a bit from where we were a couple of years ago. Whilst this provides the end user with a plethora of options, it's important to put aside all the hype.

If you're new to Vaping, and looking for a decent starting e Cig Mod - System, here's a few things to consider.
    (My opinions are based on the needs and success of those we have helped transition to Vaping. The following holds true for 90% of smokers)
    • Forget Cigalikes and any device that does not provide variable voltage
    • Variable Wattage is not required (although it is now the norm)
    • You do not need a temperature controlled (TC) device
    • You do not need Re-buildable Atomizers (90% of those who transition never use them or wish to)
    • Vape Pens, such as the Vision Spinners and Aspire CF Mods are suitable for light to medium smokers only
    • Heavy or long-term smokers, or those with a strong dependency, should look at something like a Cool Fire 4 or Eleaf iStick 30 Watt box mod.
    • You will need more than one Mod or battery
    • The Silo Tank, Aspire Nautilus Mini Clearomizer, or the Crown Sub oHm Tank with replacement coils, are perfect for the above Mods.
    There are numerous options for today's Mods. Transitional success, comes from the right marriage of Mod, Juice delivery system (Tank) and e liquid.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    Maggie, margyb, Stevojumps and 6 others like this.
  2. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Couldn't agree more. I would add the Subtank to the list of atties to use with a Cool Fire 4 or Eleaf iStick 30 Watt box mod. As a heavy long term smoker I couldn't stop smoking until I used an RBA but a Subtank Mini or Nano with 1.2 Ohm coils would have suited me and would have been a whole lot easier than the learning curve I had to go through to quit.

Browny, DogMan and Charles Vaper like this.
  3. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Pleased you got there in the end, Moonbeam. One day I'll make it to Tasmania, looks so beautiful.
    I did mention the Crown Sub tank which IMHO is one of the best of the bunch; far superior to the Atlantis or Kanger offerings.
    Good to hear from you, take care.

DogMan, DaveJ and Judith like this.
  4. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I'll have to have a look at the Crown. Tasmania is beautiful but bloody cold this winter.

DogMan and DaveJ like this.
  5. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Yeah - I'm really liking the iStick 30 as a great little general purpose good all round battery/mod. I sure wish they were available when I started.

Not so sure about the sub tanks for beginners though.... *shrug* but everyone is different. You do include the Nautilus, though, which certainly has a popular strong following. Again I wish such were available when I started.

And I do echo comments about Tassie being a pretty place to see. Strongly recommend booking a couple of weeks and a car to do "the lap". Not in winter though! :)

Stevojumps, DogMan and Judith like this.
  6. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

I think one of the most important things about Mods, is to have more than one! You never know when it's going to die or go flat. You never know when your going to drop it or lose it. The last thing you need, especially when just starting your journey, is to have to go running back to smokes!

7. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Oh yes. Many times yes.

The same goes for all the other vaping bits and pieces too. If you needed a special charger - buy two. Use a USB wall adapter? Get a spare. Make sure you have a spare charge cable as well. Spare atties/tanks too. One day you'll be very glad you did.

Stevojumps, Judith and DogMan like this.
  8. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

The sub ohm/big air thing came up in another place, another time. Consensus then was bong smokers will take to big air, tailor cig smokers to closed, and rollie smokers could go either way.

The anecdotal poll showed it held up pretty well.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Stevojumps, The Vaper and Judith like this.
  9. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Interesting, so we can tell who has been up to mischief.

Stevojumps and DogMan like this.
  10. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

It is pretty similar on the draw of a wide airflow attie

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

11. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

hehe - yeah.

Clearly not me. :(

12. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Makes sense to me Doggy, I was a tailor made smoker and I like the tight draw of the evod.

DaveJ and DogMan like this.
  13. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Yep. Me too.

DogMan likes this.
  14. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Makes sense to me too. Tootle puffers are innocent.

DaveJ, Donna and DogMan like this.
  15. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

There are more ways to smoke illicit substances than just 'bongs'.

Heck ..a friend of mine could make a nice tight draw pipe from a soft drink can. He hasn't done that in a while, but I reckon he still could.

DogMan likes this.
  16. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I haven't pulled many bongs recently, and never was a big fan anyway. But I loved my rollies (and spliffs) and couldn't stomach tailor mades even if I was desperate. The Evod draw is too tight for me, but they are perfectly fine if the hole is made bigger.

Not sure where I fit into Dogman's picture, but I'm a tootle puffer and far from innocent.

17. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

Long time bong puller and spliffer ( started that at 12 as well as smoking ) , but very rarely these days ( random tests at work ).
    Rollie smoker and can handle tight or loose draws :sillygrin: a line there but nah not today :bolt:
    Happy with my kayfuns/aga t5 etc etc ( yes Dave they are pretty good thanks for the tip )

Stevojumps, Judith and DaveJ like this.
  18. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

You are welcome. :tiphat:

19. Broony

Broony Senior Member

With sub-tanks it works better better when straight to lung, not so good mouth to lung, personally I think sub-ohming is to far removed from smoking to start with. Unless you use herbs in joints or water-pipes regularly, then sub-ohming my be a good choice for starting the transition to vaping.

20. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

Well for me an ego style setup got me started. I wasn't even remotely interested in the istick when I first started vaping, the just looked too chunky. It didn't take me long to transition to a couple of istick 30s which I loved to death. But if isticks etc had been my only choice I may not have vaped. So beginner kits have their place.
    As for doggies theory I mostly smoked rollies and I know mostly vape 1.2 ohms at 12-13watts so am I a tootle puffer? I'm not a subohmer!

Broony likes this.