Next Mod...

Discussion in 'General Hardware Discussion' started by Ben, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

Hey all,
    Brief History: I started vaping in earnest last year in March using an istick 50w that survived going to Bali and having a short dip in the hotel pool, being dropped constantly, having a hot iron fall on top of it and even an evening with my 30kg staffy/ridgeback when it unknowingly dropped out of my pocket into his bed. This thing fired perfectly, never rattled, screen was fine, held its charge and read resistances on the mark from what I could tell. Alas, it was not meant to last. After so long and with me laughing in the face of so many who said that it was a matter of time, she is kaput. Autofiring, not firing when I want it to, and weird battery life means that I'm not letting anything near its centre pin for fear of being blowed up.
    So that means I'm going to need a new mod :D I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, or may have something they wish to sell on so that I can have something on rotation with my trusty coolfire 4 (not the new one).
    I've used a Kanger K-Box, which I still use for subbing, but the inflexibility with the VW is frustrating as I'm using predominately BVC equipped tanks, like the Nauti, Silo and hopefully soon the Kabuki, with a variety of coils, from the old 1.6 and 1.8s to the new 1.2 and Clapton coils, which I'm loving. I'm generally vaping around the 11-12 mark for the regular bvc's and around 17-18 for the 1.2 so K-Box is just out on both.
    I like a small mod, was getting serious GAS looking at the 'small form factor' thread, but I don't need it to be miniscule. I am a fan of an in-built battery, however I'm ok with externals, that can charge via USB. I don't need anything with massive Wattage headroom, the highest I've ever been on my RDA's is 50w and I doubt I'd go higher, I don't enjoy subbing that high. Having the ability to sub-ohm is preferable, the max I'll NEED is 40 in all seriousness.
    I'm not too fussed about aesthetics, but price is a factor, not having a hell of a lot of disposable income, plus with the Chinese holiday, getting decent priced gear is difficult at the moment. I'm thinking the EVIC VTC Mini looks a good bet, I'd probably skip the tank that comes with, but it looks like it would be what I'm after, and have that extra headroom in case I feel the need to blow huge clouds later down the track.
    If anyone could share their knowledge, I'd really appreciate it :)
    Thanks all

Fluffy, Pippi, rupert and 2 others like this.
  2. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

looks like you answered your own question, great little small form factor mod. EVIC have been around forever too

Fluffy and Pippi like this.
  3. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

When I got to the end of typing that, I kind of realised the same...
    Cheers Doggie, I haven't used any EVICs but the reviews seem to be pretty positive. Might have to go for it...

margyb, Fluffy, Pippi and 1 other person like this.
  4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Take a look at the YouDe Balrog, until it came out the Evic VTC Mini was what I would have considered recommending but now I think the Balrog is the better quality & better mod overall.
    I have both here & can bring them to the WA vape Meet for people to look at.
    The only advantages the Evic has over the Balrog is the larger screen, better range of colors & being able to easily find silicone covers for it, the Balrog wins in every other respect IMO.

Fluffy likes this.
  5. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

Well since those things dont bug me, the balrog looks like a go... i do like the look of it too. Id really appreciate that thanks Noe!

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Fluffy likes this.
  6. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

My advice is get at least a second mod as a back up.

Fluffy, Catweazle, rupert and 2 others like this.
  7. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Second the second mod recommendation.
    Prob' get a third, and fourth just to be safe :D

8. Nico and Laughter

Totally:sillygrin:

9. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

he has a cool fire 4 and a kbox

he is asking about a third mod

not being narky, just don't want the thread derailed about backups when he has them

10. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

True dogman, but in truth it is a backup, as i hardly use the kbox. But yeah in an emergency the kbox is there plus a cheap little 18650 mech mod, i suppose im looking for a new number 1 more than anything and the balrog looks like it fits...

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

11. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

OK so there is a Wismec Presa (WP) 75w for sale on another forum, $60 express posted. It seems to be a fairly similar gizmo, does anyone have any experience with it (or heaven forbid - both) who could let me know their experience and which they would recommend?
    From a quick look, it seems like the Youde Balrog (YB) is only available as the starter kit with the tank, which I wouldn't mind (MOAR STUFF!) but they both have a similar range (WP: 1-75w, YB: 5-70w), Temp ranges are the same (100 - 315 deg), both single 18650, both quite small. I'm leaning towards the balrog though, it does look like a good little buy. I may pick up an ijust2 as well, because Ive wanted to try one for a while and I'm actually really enjoying my atlantis at the moment...
    In short, this guy has no idea what he wants, but clearly wants it all :p

Pippi likes this.
  12. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Ben, I am a mostly a Provari Gal, but @Steve Thomas gave me a red Evic mini and I really like it - after some trial and error with wasted money on two tanks for it (Trition Mini and unwell crown) - I have decided I dont like temp control. It works beautifully with a mini naut running at about 17watts with a Kanthal coil.
    The screen is great, its easy to adjust, batteries super quick to change over, and it sits nicely in the hand - its also feels well made.... plus its red!

Firekombi, Noe and Steve Thomas like this.
  13. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

Mmmmmmm you're killing me Pippi! I had just kind of settled on the Balrog, but I really like the look of the EVIC. I'll be keen to have a look at peoples suggestions on Sat :)

Pippi likes this.
  14. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Steve has a white one and loves it too.

Steve Thomas likes this.
  15. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

Its my trusty backup mod. It goes everywhere.

16. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

Dare I ask what is your number 1, Steve of the clan Thomas?

17. Nico and Laughter

Oooops this thread should have been named my next mod and my next one and my next one! I love my evic mini by the way. Is the software on the balrog upgradable Noe?

Pippi likes this.
  18. Noe

The Presa, while nice, had some issues with the firing button, if I remember correctly, something to do with the "lock" feature.
    I don't own one so I am not certain but I don't like the idea of the entire section I am gripping being the fire button, it seems like it would be a recipe for blown coils IMO.
    Also I think the Balrog is just a bit smaller.

I'm not a fan of the included tank, it's ok but there are better designed tanks available, YouDe dropped the ball a little on the tank.

LMAO @ Unwell Crown!! :rofl:
    BTW I've been using the Triton Mini all week on the same coil with almost no issues. The only things that I don't really like about it is the juice capacity & its tendancy to gurgle a little after filling (which can be worked around fairly easily), the way the top fill is designed causes pressure into the tank, which transfers to the coil head, causing the gurgle. To get around the gurgle you can close the JFC off as if you are going to fill it & vape a couple of puffs to remove some of the juice from the coil head, this improves the situation but if you vape too much on it like this you will burn the cotton in the coil & need to replace it.

Wait until the vape meet mate, you can try both, honestly I prefer the Balrog but the Evic is a good choice too.
    My go to mod though is my Ijoy Asolo with dual batts it is a little larger than the Balrog (obviously) but it is the only mod I own that I would replace without thinking about it if I lost it, the rest I'd have to think about whether I'd miss them that much or at all.

I'm not certain, I haven't seen anywhere that says it can but I don't really think it needs to either, it is very economical on power consumption, I have been getting through a minimum of 4 x 2ml tanks of juice on it before needing to recharge a battery with the setting on 15W.

Pippi likes this.
  19. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

The Unwell Crown got tossed in the bin at only 4 days old - hated it! fished it back out and now it will slowly die - unloved and unwanted in a dusty draw. I wont touch the damn thing again.

20. Noe

I'm sure someone will want it if you offer it up for sale or PiF, a lot of vapers like them, I prefer other tanks to it though.

Pippi likes this.