NNA AU Chat and Info Thread

Discussion in 'Politics, News, Media, Campaigns' started by NNA AU, Aug 30, 2016.

1. NNA AU

NNA AU New Member

We had our monthly board meeting last night, although because Attila has been on a holidays with his family it was a bit longer than a month since the last one.

Next board meeting is planned for 9 October.

Stay tuned and I will post up the rough minutes later today when I get home from work. :)

2. Angela

Angela Admin

Thanks Charles. I'm so glad you were able to attend this as I was unable to. You're a great speaker and I have no doubt the nurses were extremely interested in what you had to say. It's really important to have them on side in this debate. Well done!

3. Dr Attila Danko

Dr Attila Danko V.I.P.

Chipping away, bit by bit, until we get a critical mass. Every meeting is important. When we actually get to engage people in person, they end up agreeing with us at least 90% of the time. It's difficult to argue that vapers should be punished until they go back to smoking. Eventually this will even erode support away from Cancer Council's position from below, even if the leadership remain trenchant fanatics.

margyb, subyXV, Charles Vaper and 5 others like this.
  4. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words Angela and Dr Danko.. I couldn't agree with you more. Having those in the medical industry hear real stories is so powerful. True, there are those that refuse to listen or perhaps ignore the obvious yet, if we take the opportunities to engage, little by little, sanity will prevail...

Gasman, NNA AU, margyb and 5 others like this.
  5. Maria

Maria Senior Member

Well done, I cannot even begin to imagine the hard work you have and will be doing to support and move forward in such important advocacy and bringing such positive awareness and knowledge about vaping.:thumbup:.

Donna, Pippi, NNA AU and 1 other person like this.
  6. margyb

margyb Senior Member

Thanks for attending with Colin Mendelsohn Charles :):)
    Looks like Colin has a really busy schedule all around Australia

http://colinmendelsohn.com.au/presentations/

Gasman, Pippi, Charles Vaper and 5 others like this.
  7. NNA AU

NNA AU New Member

Morning! :) Here is a quick summary of what was discussed at the board meeting on Wednesday night.

1. The NNA's end of year financial statement will be up on the website by the end of this month. A big thanks to Judith for her work putting the in and outgoings into some kind of understandable and legible order. Much appreciated.

2. The website is coming along, thanks to Jimmy Jazz's help. Still a few things to get sorted so we will be working to get the last few things ironed out shortly.

3. We had a bit of a dilemma to resolve because we got a donation from a vendor who said it was from his customers, not directly from him. We all agreed that we just can't bend on our rule of not accepting any money from industry and this situation was just a bit too close to the line for comfort. The donation was refunded and we will be declining any other similar offers from vendors/industry.

4. Donna will be representing the NNA as consultant to the University of Queensland's Tobacco Harm Reduction Research run by Coral Gartner (More info here: https://public-health.uq.edu.au/tobacco-harm-reduction ). She will travel to QLD to meet with Coral to discuss the details. Expenses covered by the project, so this is not costing the NNA anything.

5. And the most exciting news! We have decided it is the right time to publish our application to the TGA to have nicotine for vaping exempted from the poisons schedule. We were informed that members of the committee who will be assessing our application will all receive a copy of it on Monday (17th Oct), which is a month before they meet to assess it. So we will be publishing it some time next week and Donna is working on getting it out to the media. Once that is arranged we will let you know here and publish a copy of our application on the website. I may even get around to reading it properly myself!

That's all folks! Any questions, fire away. :bounce:

Flea, embee, Aqualung and 10 others like this.
  8. Squid

Squid Member VCA Approved Vendor

Old Grump likes this.
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

@ Squid Checking it out, but uncertain, I have been to similar sites, for other "Write your MP campaigns" What makes me suspicious is that some of these sites add your details to to a favoutite hackers site called pastebin.com. I got this info from a contact that wrote what is below any of you IT guru vapers heard of this.
    I was wondering why I was getting all sorts of spam crap before I installed my mail washer.....Only one acount was copping it. I have four. The one that was getting the spam was found on pastebin.com.

"Also on another matter, I don’t want to worry you but I did a Google search on your email to check that I had it correctly and found this interesting result.

It appears is a site used to transfer text information between people around the world,.

It appears your email and approx. 7500 others are listed here for people to copy and paste. I would recommend that you possibly contact your service provider to see if there is anything they can do. There may be a national cyber safety organisation also.

If you search for pastebin.com/xxxx xxx xx you can search that page (Ctrl F) to find your email.

You may be able to find someone to help at http://www.australia.gov.au/information-and-services/public-safety-and-law/online-safety"

Flea likes this.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

I found the format of the letter good, and copied it and saved it, but I am very hesitant to add my details to his site for reasons previously outlined.

11. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

"tobacco harm reduction Now is a joint project of the Australian Taxpayers' Alliance and MyChoice Australia

This campaign does not advocate smoking, vaping, or nicotine use. We support allowing adults to choose for themselves if they want to switch to less harmful alternatives to smoking."

I tried to use the ATA link & got sent to this page by Firefox:
    "Your connection is not secure
    The owner of www.taxpayers.org.au has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."

So I tried the Mychoice link & found this little gem: http://mychoice.org.au/uncategorized/2016/73-australians-support-legalising-vaping/

I'm not a big fan of form letters, personal letters have a bigger impact.

Flea, Judith, Old Grump and 1 other person like this.
  12. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Thank you @Noe, my suspicions are confirmed. However I found the contents of the form letter good. As to giving him my details no way hose!

Maria likes this.
  13. NNA AU

NNA AU New Member

I hadn't seen it, but I know that the Aust Taxpayers Alliance supports vaping and vapers. They submitted a comment supporting our TGA application. Donna may know more though. Thanks for the interesting link.

Good idea to copy and paste the form letter. :)

Old Grump likes this.
  14. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Yep those sites are not secure. I can't even detect their security certificate. MY Av also said proceed at your own risk if you feel its a trusted site...Nope paranoid Grump don't trust.

Moving towards a tobacco free World!

15. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

I just got a letter from them thanking me for assisting/presenting and showing interest in further opportunities to attend future events. I WILL be there....

NNA AU, Aqualung, Donna and 4 others like this.
  16. NNA AU

NNA AU New Member

Hello there. A whole month has passed with not much to report....or rather not much motivation to on my part. We haven't had any questions to answer lately on this thread, so don't hold back in asking if there is anything you want to know about the NNA and what we are working on.

We had a board meeting last night and here is a quick summary;

Website
    Jimmy Jazz was a great help and did all that he could but in the end he recommended the website be completely rebuilt by a professional using a different platform. We all agreed to put this on the backburner because there are other important things to focus on.

Financials
    Judith is almost finished the end of year financial statement and it will be published on the website in the next few days. Thank you Judith!

Purchasing of RCP reports
    Dr Danko will purchase 5 more reports with NNA funds. He had previously purchased some copies at his own expense to give to pollies and other people at meetings and only has one copy left.

2017 Public Health Conference
    A big international Public Health conference is happening in April 2017 in Melbourne. Dr Marewa Glover who has been instrumental in getting vaping legalised in NZ will be attending and possibly will promote vaping as a public health initiative there. Donna will look at costs for hiring a room at the venue for an information session/event about vaping. This is likely to be very expensive so we'll also look at the alternative of applying as a Not For Profit to have an information stall at the event. Both options will be very costly so will likely need to fundraise to achieve this. All in the pipeline so watch this space.

General strategy pre & post TGA decision

PRE
    -Continue to meet with politicians from all parties to keep the upcoming TGA decision at the forefront of minds.
    -Attending a National Party Health Dinner in Canberra late November, Assistant Health Minister responsible for Tobacco will be present.
    -Having lunch at Parliament House with the Liberal Back Bench Health Committee later November.

-Whether our application is approved or not we are tossing around the idea of submitting the same application again for snus as it is cost free for us to submit further applications. It will however be an immense amount of work to take on.
    -If our application is rejected we will start organising protests, rallies, etc

The next NNA board meeting will be held on Wednesday, 7 December.

That about sums it up! :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Angela, Pippi, sirfoxey and 2 others like this.
  17. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

Thanks for the update. Love them

Donna, Pippi and NNA AU like this.
  18. NNA AU

NNA AU New Member

That's good to know sirfoxey! It's been quiet on this thread lately so I wondered. :)

Pippi likes this.
  19. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles Moderator

Thanks Jen, great to have a update - all sounds excellent.

NNA AU and Donna like this.
  20. NNA AU

NNA AU New Member

sirfoxey, Judith and Donna like this.