NNA AU Chat and Info Thread

Discussion in 'Politics, News, Media, Campaigns' started by NNA AU, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Yesterday, myself, Dr Colin Mendelsohn and Dr Alex Wodak went to Canberra. Following is a summary of what happened there.

We saw 3 members of the Liberal Health Committee
    They appear to be on board and we just need to iron out some of their queries by providing more information. It certainly wasn't a given but they are more on our side than opposed to us.

We saw the most senior member of the Greens party in regard to this topic and one of their advisors (thanks to Alex).
    This went really well also. It was acknowledged that they have put this issue on the back burner for some time and know they need to spend some time on it. They told us they only had 5 minutes and ended up spending about 40 minutes with us. They know their stuff but need to work through the details which we are helping them with.

They asked who the objectors were and we detailed them. They acknowledged it's probably out of fear that Tobacco Co's would get a benefit. They hate Tobacco Co's. They asked us about strategy on advertising and keeping them out of the market. We've some work to do with them but I feel optimistic. They've offered to contact some other key Greens in the states and provide us with an intro etc. We've lots of info to get to them also.

Interestingly when I brought up that the CC is opposed to vaping for nicotine, and yet their public submission on cannabis said they would support if the delivery method was vaping and not smoking. they agreed with that and were very aware that this was the case. They could see the dichotomy in this position. Also they have friends that vape and basically know the benefits.

We saw a Senior member of the Labor Party. He was the least interested and did listen to us but in some ways it felt like speaking to a blank wall. When we asked if there were others we should talk to, he mentioned another Senior Labor member. Colin said he'd met with this member's advisor and they appeared to not have an appetite for doing anything about this subject for the time being. Just before we left, I asked him about his thoughts on the subject and he said, I guess I'm in line with the other member's view, not much appetite for the subject matter at the moment.

He did give us one person to contact and that is another member who apparently was singing the praises of vaping for some time. Attila's just reminded me that this is the member that Annette saw.

Also the people from mychoice australia and the tax payers alliance were there too by coincidence. They are there for the week on ecigs and other topics. Via them, we also met with another Chief Advisor to a Senator. He was a bit grumpy but I heard good things about this meeting after he walked away. Not sure who else they have or are meeting with.

Also Colin ran into the CEO of the Royal Australian College of GP's who when asked by Colin yesterday, was very pro vaping.

Alex ran into about 10 people he knew. As you would expect, singing his praises.

Gee I'm pleased they are on our side. Both top blokes.

Colin will be back in Canberra next Monday to see the tobacco/health portfolio Assistant Minister. He's also going to a dinner that night and hopes to further network. With all the suggestions we were given on people to see, if Colin makes other appointments during the day, one of us will also go up. Not for the dinner, just the meetings. It's obvious the Medico's get us the meetings and have alot to contribute but the smoker stories are the most effective.

Funny for the day....

We were in a taxi to the airport and when we were pulling in I piped up with "Hey Driver, we are all Virgins" meaning flying Virgin Airlines. Everyone cracked up.

PS: I've intentionally not mentioned pollies names as I don't think it's helpful to do so. Sorry for anyone that is annoyed by this.

THE ONE PIECE OF ADVICE THEY ALL GAVE US IS....MEET WITH AS MANY POLLIES AS YOU CAN FROM ALL PARTIES AND CROSS BENCHERS. GET YOUR PEOPLE TO RING OR ARRANGE MEETINGS WITH THEIR LOCAL MEMBERS BECAUSE IF IT EVER COMES TO PARLIAMENT, YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PEOPLE ON YOUR SIDE NO MATTER WHICH PARTY THEY ARE FROM.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Tinkerbell

I am so glad that I made a good impression! Thanks to everyone who attended this. It's time consuming and nerve wracking but so helpful.

3. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Absolutely, we all need to take a leaf out of your book and summon up the courage to do so.

Thanks so much Annette :thanks:

4. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

A car load of virgins.
    That MUST be an anecdote.

Judith and Donna like this.
  5. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Thanks for your time and advocacy.

6. Donna

Donna Senior Member

FYI everyone, we are running a donation campaign now. The reason we are doing so is that we really think we have a window of opportunity in the next six months to not only influence our TGA application but also any Government legislation that may follow.

Many of you already donate and it's appreciated heaps.

We have had several meetings recently that have required airfares and accommodation, the latest one cost us about $2000.00. We have another meeting next week that will cost over $1000.00. Terrible I know but this is the way of the political world.

There are so many other Pollies we can see after the end of next week because they will be in their home electorates.

So the ask is, if you can donate the cost of a pack of fags once a month, that would be great. If you can't, please feel free to share our donate page. http://www.nnalliance.org.au/jj-donate

Thanks

PS.

This is the post I put on Facebook

To our followers, we have never asked directly before that you donate. We really feel that this next six months will determine a way forward for vaping with our application to the TGA to have nicotine legalised.

It's important that we get to see as many Pollies as we can. Last week, 3 of us went to Canberra. Next week we have other appointments. This all costs money. We don't take any salaries at all. We don't take any expenses that are not advocacy related such as flights and accommodation.

Please consider donating at least the cost of a pack of smokes once a month. This way we can continue what we are doing. Thanks.http://www.nnalliance.org.au/jj-donate

7. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Unsolicited but heartfelt post from me below.

I would personally just like to add that all advocacy by the NNA AU will basically cease to exist when there is no money because there will be no money for travel or even printing and postage. I'm sure that the board members will pay the costs themselves because of their determination and dedication if we don't help (and if they can afford it). I don't think that is a reasonable thing to happen since we are the ones who benefit from vaping being legalised just as we benefited already by not having to pay outrageous taxes on tobacco. I don't know about anyone else but I would like to see vaping thrive, I would like to see more vape shops as more smokers switch and I would like to be able to buy nicotine liquids locally. If you have noticed a change of tone from the media and some in politics I can tell you that is directly because of all the hard work of the NNA AU. The tide is turning and now we can make it a flood if we fund the last stretch. Please contribute anything you can.

8. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Thanks Judith.

And just so you are aware, when we have these wonderful advocates such as Doctors like Dr Alex Wodak and Dr Colin Mendelsohn attend meetings, they never ever charge us a cent. We do though pay their flight/accommodation expenses if not in Sydney. Can you imagine how much their hourly or daily rates should be? They do it because they believe in the cause and we should be very grateful.

9. Aqualung

Aqualung Senior Member

Crikey. Was slack and lazy with last fundraiser. Sorry. Will correct at next opportunity

10. NNA AU

NNA AU New Member

Hiiiiiiieee. :hi: :blonde:

We had our monthly board meeting on Wednesday night so to keep you all in the loop here's what was on the agenda.

1. In conversations with allies like Dr Alex Wodak and Dr Colin Mendelsohn they have repeatedly stressed the value and enormous importance of ordinary vapers meeting with their local MPs and telling their stories. Steve Thomas and his Vapers vs Policy facebook page have been great at getting this message out there and at the meeting last night we discussed reminding the community whenever possible to get in touch with their local pollies. So don't be shy, pick up the phone!

2. With the help of Jimmy Jazz we will be setting up a Wordpress website to replace the current one as it is too far gone to salvage. All content will be transferred to the new site and hopefully this will be achieved by early next year.

3. The NNA has had a request from a university research academic for suggestions of potential new research topics on vaping. The board threw around a few ideas. For example, looking at flavours for inhalation safety, studies on cessation efficacy with long term follow up, safety of second hand vapour relative to both smoke and normal air (most studies are relative to one or the other, not both). We are still coming up with ideas so let us know if you have any good suggestions and Donna will feed this back.

4. We discussed the proposed ban on internet and phone sales in South Australia. Attila attended the Senate Inquiry earlier this year. Donna and himself worked quite hard to influence it so we are disappointed about this proposed ban. Jen contacted a major vendor in SA to ask if they were aware and/or were planning on fighting this but hasn't had a reply yet. And Donna's also contacted the Vendor Associations who said they’d see what they could do. We all agreed that this issue affects vendors more than it does vapers since Sth Aussie vapers would still be able to access gear online from other states. So we will continue to encourage and support vendors to fight this battle against the proposed changes with the NNA AU playing a more minor role for now.

5. We have been approached a couple of times by organisations like The Australian Taxpayers Alliance and My Choice about teaming up with the NNA to lobby and advocate for vaping as a common cause. We discussed this and all have concerns about the extreme political vibe around these groups. We agreed that an official affiliation with groups like this is not in the best interests of the NNA because we are a non-political, single issue organisation for all vapers regardless of their political leanings.

Any questions, fire away. :)

11. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

IMO this one would be really useful to vapers. My poor brain is suffering pre-Xmas/pre-bushfire prep overload but I will give other possible research topics some thought.

Jennifer and Donna like this.
  12. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

The physical health benefits a ex smoker who is now a vapor gains. To explain better.
    The inability I had to undertake any real exercise when smoking compared to the amount of exercise and outdoor activities I can now do as a ex smoker while being a heavy vapor. Also unlike when I quit smokes 12 years or so ago before vaping was around I piled on the weight compared to this time my weight as barely changed. Any research into these effects vaping has when a smoke switches to vaping and ceases smoking would be of interest to me and others too I am sure.

13. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles Moderator

I wish this was true for me but unfortunately I have put on weight since quitting via Vaping - I confess some of that might be due to hours spent reading forums and increasing my Vaping knowledge - hoping to turn that around in 2017 and get back to a healthy weight.

14. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I usually put on 5kg when I stopped smoking but put on about 2 when I quit using vaping. I seem to have lost that permanently now instead of it being yo-yo weight and I do lose weight when I get away from the computer and I do more physical stuff. From my perspective it is all positive and a very useful research topic especially considering that some young women apparently smoke to keep their weight under control.

Christina Ballerina and DogMan like this.
  15. NNA AU

NNA AU New Member

Good suggestion sirfoxey, it's been noted.

I think including both self reporting from vapers and medical testing of things like lung function, etc would be good.

Judith and DogMan like this.
  16. Aqualung

Aqualung Senior Member

I don't like the TGA's recent decision to remove codeine from over the counter availability, because of the risk of addiction and overdose. Tightening my foil hat, and wondering if it is the precedent upon which our application will be measured.

Jennifer and Pippi like this.
  17. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Just wanted to say a big thank you to the generous folks who have donated to the NNA AU. Particularly those that do so regularly.

Also a big thanks to those that have been heavily involved in running raffles particularly @Pippi and @Steve Thomas. Much gratitude to the vendors that donated prizes for the raffles and huge gratitude to those that have purchased tickets.

We also have another group we need to thank and that is those that attended the workshop in Brisbane that have decided not to claim their payment for attending and rather donate to the NNA AU.

Thank you everyone. We really appreciate every cent. :clap2:

18. Pippi

Wow, that is very cool :) How did the work shop go?

Donna likes this.
  19. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Really well. There will be a newsletter about what happened published after the new year.

The Vaper, Flea and Pippi like this.
  20. Pippi

Great, yes its a bad time of year for updates - look forward to reading it next year :)

Donna likes this.