NNA AU Chat and Info Thread

Discussion in 'Politics, News, Media, Campaigns' started by NNA AU, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Hi all,

Jen's on holidays so we haven't had our January meeting yet but will get to it when she's back.

A small update for information purposes.

The New Nicotine Alliance Australia's application to the TGA is currently being considered and we expect an interim decision published on the TGA website on the 2nd February. We don't believe we'll hear anything until then.

The time frame going forward is below....

2nd Feb - Delegates Interim Decision published and invitation for those that have submitted to further submit.
    16th Feb - Further submissions on Interim Decision close
    23rd Mar - Final decision of the Delegate published.
    1st Jun - Change to the SUSMP effective date if any change is made by the Delegate.

Gasman, Jennifer, Judith and 4 others like this.
  2. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles Moderator

Thanks Donna, good to know :)

Donna likes this.
  3. Dr Attila Danko

Dr Attila Danko V.I.P.

I'm back! After months of not doing much advocacy and trying to save my marriage, just before Christmas I was told that it was over. I spent a few weeks in a bit of shellshock, and getting my new life together, (rent a house, work out child arrangements, furniture, etc) but I'm now feeling quite free and liberated! So now I'm back in the game, more enthusiastic than ever, and with more capacity than ever before, as long as I don't get dragged into lengthy divorce proceedings. I'm being as generous as I can to make sure that doesn't happen, my life and freedom is far more important than my money.

Noe, Old Grump, Cat and 10 others like this.
  4. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Good to have you back Attila :)

margyb, Pippi and The Vaper like this.
  5. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Really, really happy that you are feeling free. You seem to have been through some traumatic times and I'm glad you have come through it feeling positive. :thumbup:

Old Grump, margyb, Pippi and 2 others like this.
  6. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I'm conflicted to acknowledge this as good or bad news but I certainly wish you all the best moving forward with everything.

Old Grump, margyb, Pippi and 3 others like this.
  7. Pippi

Welcome back Attila, its so good to see you here and know you are feeling revved and ready to rock again. I am sorry for the breakdown of your marriage as it seems like you did all you could - Anyway enjoy your Freedom and Liberty. There is much to be said for the single life :)

8. Pippi

One of my favourite quotes from Aldous.

“...most men and women will grow up to love their servitude and will never dream of revolution.”
    Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

Cat, Flea, Judith and 2 others like this.
  9. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

That's ..inspiring. I look forward to being the benevolent overload of y'all. :bolt:

Old Grump likes this.
  10. Christina Ballerina

Christina Ballerina Senior Member

OMG my life would be so much easier if I had this attitude..........But I don't and I suffer for it.

Old Grump and Pippi like this.
  11. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

It's all about the kids, as long as all involved have that attitude it should be easy. Great to have you back in the saddle.

12. NNA AU

NNA AU New Member

Hi guys! The board met for our first meeting of 2017 last Wednesday night. This is a rough outline of what went down. :)

QLD Legislation
    Shockingly, at least 3, perhaps 4, vapers (not vendors) in QLD have had a visit from the Queensland Health Dept, with police in tow, and their nicotine eliquid was seized following citizen complaints about the possession of nicotine eliquid. One person did have a prescription but was told it made no difference.

The NNA contacted the QLD Health Dept and were told that the department were obliged to follow up complaints from citizens (ie the ridiculous 'dob in your neighbour' thing). Although this is not official legal advice, we can confirm that nicotine eliquid with a prescription is actually legal to possess/use in QLD, as in the rest of Australia.

Collection Tins in Vape Shops
    After an enquiry from a vape shop owner about placing a collection tin for customer donations to the NNA in their shop we had a discussion about whether this was a bit too close to our 'no industry funding' line.

The board agreed to test the idea and accept donations from collection tins in vape shops as the money was technically coming from vapers. However, with a caveat that a vaper is responsible for monitoring, collecting and banking the funds rather than the vendor.

Australian Libertarian Conference
    This conference is happening in Sydney in April, I think it was the Aust Tax Payer's Alliance who informed us and encouraged us to attend. We had a discussion about the appropriateness of Dr Danko attending and/or presenting at this conference given the partisan political nature of it. We will have the opportunity to set up a stall and hand out info and chat to people about THR if the presentation doesn't come off.

It was agreed that attending could be beneficial and a way to network with other non-partisan harm reduction organisations who will be attending. Also, this is not a formal alliance with any extreme political group. As it is free for us to attend, costs to the NNA will be low.

Website
    Development of the new website is going slowly and now that the silly season is over Dr Danko will follow up with our volunteer helper to clarify how it's all going.

Adapting the NNA UK Position Statement
    All agreed it would be timely to update the NNA AU position statement after the TGA decision is out in a couple of weeks. Donna will have a chat with the peeps from NNA UK to see if it's ok to adapt their statement for our use, with a view to this being uploaded to the new website after the TGA decision.
    We are working on the statement, which is especially complex and time consuming given our very different regulatory environment here. To put it politely.

Federal Health Standing Committee
    Dr Mendelssohn and Alex Wodak proposing a morning tea in Canberra, with themselves and vapers attending to meet with Federal Politicians with a view to encouraging them to support vaping in Australia. All agreed this is a worthwhile expenditure.

Alliances with Partisan Organisations
    We had a discussion about requests from organisations representing strong political views to align with NNA on the common cause of vaping. All again agreed it is better not to formally align with any particular political organisations as we represent all consumers.However, we feel that if the group of organisations representing all sectors in the field including generalist Harm Reduction organisations, it might be something we should consider.

What do you guys think about this issue??

Tasmanian Politician Contact
    Margy made a suggestion to contact a media outlet in Tasmania. Dr Danko has submitted an article for publication.

Donna, margyb, The Vaper and 5 others like this.
  13. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

DYM this one?

14. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Can I come? OK.. let me rephrase that. I can pay my own expenses and will likely be able to arrange accommodation (I have 3 relatives in Canberra). Am I welcome to come?
    I agree with "better not to formally align". When a certain senator led an anti-Nanny state inquiry, I noted with disappointment that he did not lodge any formal counterpoint to the generally negative view on vaping. If political entities support vaping, great, but their main goal is to get re-elected.

Donna and NNA AU like this.
  15. Pippi

Will there be "official" tins? or something with the logo and small blurb that can be attached/glued to the tins? let me know if you need help with this.
    I will be happy to ask VV to have one instore and can be responsible for depositing the donations into the NNA account after they have been counted in the presence of the store owners. Not long now and they will have a beautiful new shop in town which should increase traffic and therefore donations from Vapers. :)

Noe, NNA AU, margyb and 2 others like this.
  16. Pippi

Something like this might be good as the space for signage is very visible -- there is also the option for a chain to secure it ( extra $5 ) Postage is the killer around $25 but I guess as a one off that would be fine.
    My suggestion is that a few Vapers that support a particular store go in and share the cost of buying one to place in their local.
    If the boxes are all the same it will be easy to produce the display sign to fit it and can be emailed or posted out:)
    I will commit to purchasing whatever you think is suitable and will find one or two others to share the cost with me.

http://www.retaildisplaydirect.com....d1dqSaC1Wv7hVDKYCNj9O3NM0jfTgKY15phoC8kjw_wcB

NNA AU, margyb, Donna and 3 others like this.
  17. Squid

Squid Member VCA Approved Vendor

I'll take a tin

NNA AU, margyb, Donna and 3 others like this.
  18. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I wonder if it is possible to get a bulk deal if we could find out how many vendors would be willing to have them. It would be a pity if the boxes ended up costing more than any donations though.

margyb, Donna and The Vaper like this.
  19. Pippi

It wouldn't as its a one off purchase with possible long term gains. and its a small cost if a few go in on a box for their Vape shop.
    I wouldn't mind co coordinating it if you need help. I just think it will be more effective if done properly with good signage rather than a tin on a bench. People are more likely to donate if it looks official and the box is locked.
    Just my thoughts :)

margyb, Donna, Judith and 1 other person like this.
  20. Pippi

I meant buying one for my local store - not buying the lot as I dont have the funds for that but maybe people could pay in advance?

margyb, Donna and The Vaper like this.