Noe's List (newbie shopping guide)

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Noe, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

First let me say a big welcome to all the new vapers!

Some of you may have heard of "Noe's List" & wondered well where is "Noe's List, what is it, why does it exist?"

Noe's list is an easy to use guide to getting started with vaping, with links provided to everything you need for a basic build-your-own starter kit, at very reasonable prices, it exists to make it easy for smokers to see what they need to transition to vaping & get them started all in 1 single order.
    The list is below but I will be reviewing the list & updating it in the near future, since some items may not be continued stock & there has been new products released which may be better suited for new vapers.

The below is a re-post but I like to keep it easy to find for new vapers or potential new vapers, because it helps if you know what you need to get started:

IMO what you want for your initial order is a 1-stop-shop, where you can get everything you need in 1 order.
    Regardless of what you decide to order, this makes things very simple & means everything arrives at the same time, so you can get into it immediately you open it(well almost, make sure the batts are charged first).

For the same reason I recommend Health Cabin for first orders, they have a large range of products, they ship reliably(choose EMS shipping & you will usually have your goods in a week, 2 at most), their customer service is very good & their prices are good too. Plus they have everything you need, including nic juice to get you started.

Essentials:
    Kit

Kits consist of 3 basic parts, Batteries, Charger & something for putting the juice into, usually called atomisers (atties) or clearomisers(clearos).

I think the best solution for a new vaper is an entry level device, which will serve as a back up should you have problems with your mod later on, like these:
    Batteries:
    You will need 2 of these
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1375_1376&products_id=8356
    or
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1375_1376&products_id=8949. Is the same but has variable voltage & costs a little more.
    Charger for the above:
    I recommend ordering 2 in case one is damaged or breaks
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1160_1161&products_id=8135

Many people will already have one of these for use with other devices & they will usually work fine, if you don't have one then I recommend getting 1, as it is safer to charge from the wall than from a PC USB socket:
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1160_1162&products_id=8366

Two clearomisers minimum (I would get no more than 4):
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1384_1385_1393&products_id=8803

Also a 5 pack of replacement coils will keep your Evods in good working order, when the coil in them dies:
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1179_1180&products_id=8527

Two of these kits will have, 2 chargers( a spare in case one fails) at least 2 clearomisers, at least 2 batteries & a pack of spare coils, all you really need to start vaping minus the juice.
    So if you bought the bare minimum cheapest products, it would cost around $35US or under $50 Au

If you find you enjoy vaping, you will likely want to upgrade to better devices, the intention of this guide is to keep prices down as much as possible for absolute beginners who may not know if vaping is for them or not.

Juice
    Next you will want some juice my recommendation is 10 bottles x 10ml, 18mg/ml, pre-mixed juices in various flavors:
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1075_1020&products_id=7919
    3 pages of listings for the above link.
    or
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1075_1020&products_id=7920
    or
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1075_1020&products_id=7921
    or
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1075_1020&products_id=7918
    or
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1075_1020&products_id=7258

Then also get some unflavored nic in 36mg/ml, 75/25 PG/VG, which you can mix later with Aussie made doublers, so 1 or 2 x 115ml bottles:
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1057_1065&products_id=7942

Optional devices:
    If you want to stop there, you can & will be able to start vaping with just what is above.
    The included clearos in the kits above are bottom coil design & have replaceable coil heads, having replaceable heads extends their life & saves you money in the med-long term.

If you want to try different clearomisers/tanks etc then there are some other good ones to try, which I will not list here for the sake of simplicity.

Items for mixing
    A bottle of PG & a bottle of VG will come in handy if you need to dilute your juice later on & it is cheap to grab a bottle of each at the same time:
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1057_1064&products_id=7659
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1057_1064&products_id=7668
    Some empty mixing bottles will also come in handy, perhaps 4x 30ml & 4x 10ml to start with:
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1057_1410&products_id=7439
    A syringe is also a good idea to grab for measuring liquids & refilling some kinds of clearos etc, I would grab one of each size:
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1057_1410&products_id=7437
    You will also want blunt tipped needles for your syringes, 4 of these, Long(XL) type:
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1057_1410&products_id=7823

Devices not recommended
    I DO NOT recommend v2cigs(etc), overpriced, cigalikes for anyone!

Cost & shipping:
    For shipping EMS is usually fairly fast, you should get your package in around 2 weeks, sometimes faster.
    Including shipping the above will cost around $110 -$120Au for the basics, if you choose to upgrade to the VV batteries it is going to cost approx $20 more.

To keep it a bit more simple & so that newbies can check to see they have all that they really need to get started, here is the TL: DR version of the above:

• E-juice 10x 10ml @ 18mg/ml
    • Clearomiser tank x2
    • Battery x2
    • Charger x2
    • Replacement coils 1x 5pack
    • Highly recommended though not absolutely needed 1x 115ml unflavored nic in 36mg/ml, 75/25 PG/VG
    • Also recommended but not absolutely needed 1x 115ml bottle of PG & 1x 115ml bottle of VG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Rocksie, Steve Thomas, margyb and 4 others like this.
  2. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Brilliant. Simple, quality, and effective beginners set up.

You can't go wrong with this list guys.

3. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

Nice I literally have all those devices.

4. Noe

I started out with a Riva kit(similar to the batts above), which had 2x 1100mah batts only had 1 charger & some horrible 2 piece combo cartridges that slid onto a 510 atomiser (ancient vaping tech that was pretty useless the atty was ok for dripping without the carts though).
    Those batts were all I used for my first 12months of vaping but I did switch to cartomizers, which back then were about the best thing for dropping your juice into & without a tank of any kind, the clearomisers listed here are much simpler & better to use.
    Even two & a half years later those same Riva batts saw use, one still works now, the other is dead & this is going on more than 4 years later, they haven't been used for a while because I have so many other devices but the point is they make excellent back ups for if you main device is out of action for any reason.

I know a lot of vapers bang on about VV/VW devices & think newbies should be buying the more expensive starter kits but there really is no need, when you match the Batt & juice holding device for compatibility the vape is not really going to get a whole lot better just because you paid 3 times more for a VV batt that is running at 0.2w higher.
    My theory is keep it simple for newbies, let them get comfortable with vaping first, then they can move up to fancier, more expensive devices & VV/VW if they want to.

eyeoflight and Judith like this.
  5. Nico and Laughter

Totally agree, over at the other place style went all out for subohming as a newbie then realised it wasn't for him but he spent so much on gear that when some of it played up he didn't have a backup. I was thinking the other day about how all the gear that I bought but the one tank I still use admittedly for testing juices is my k1. When the expensive stuff let me down or was too hot or whatever it was always there. I still have a tank of grasshopper (the drink not the insect) eliquid in it that I vape to refresh my palate. It an absolute beginners tank cheap as but really good. Simple is best when everything is a bit complicated. Cheap is good too.

DaveJ, Judith and Noe like this.
  6. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I confess. I recently advised a beginner to get an Istick and a Kanger mini Sub with a few 1.2 ohm coils. That is what I was using at the time and he liked it and I knew he couldn't harm himself with it. I know that simple is best but I outgrew my starter kit pretty quickly. If someone is genuinely interested in vaping it only costs a few dollars more to get a set-up that will function for a while but it still fairly simple to use. Mind you, he was in Sydney to I could send him to a vape shop for purchase and instruction. I guess it is harder without someone to show you how to use power settings and the relative slimness of an ego type battery has it's advantages for beginners while they get used to not holding something between their fingers.

rupert, DaveJ and DogMan like this.
  7. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

i am completely out of touch with beginners, the other other place doesn't get many, and i just squonk mechs

evods were cheap but effective enough for me to know i could put my fortnightly smoke budget into a mod setup. the evods i only used a few days, having bought them with money unaccounted for with any expenses [including smokes just in case]

Judith likes this.
  8. Noe

There is nothing wrong with that set up, as long as someone is there to show the newbie how everything works. The trouble comes when a newbie that knows no vapers in person that can help them wants to get started, a kit like that could easily see them turned off of vaping by burning coils & that kind of thing.
    The kit listed here, is all compatibly matched, there is almost nothing that the newbie can do wrong when using the kit, except maybe forgetting to fill it with juice & the vape from that set up is good.
    If I were caught short & all I had was a similar kit, I could easily be satisfied using it for a few days or even for a couple of weeks while waiting for a new lot of vape mail to bring me a set up I'd prefer.

Judith and DaveJ like this.
  9. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Agree completely. When first starting out there is a LOT to come to terms with - especially in Oz where ya can't just run down to the local store to pick up something you've missed ordering and you have to deal with OS ordering for at least the nic part of your setup. So a simple uncomplicated starting kit seems logical to me - especially if you don't have someone readily handy to call on for help.

Once you have started, have find you are likely to stick with it, have established a bit of a "stockpile" of basic essentials (toppers, batteries, nic and juices) and have started to get comfortable with some of the knowledge (nic mixing and strength, battery life, coil maintenance and stuff) then look around at your options and what directions you might like to try - be it dripping, or more clouds, or flavours or whatever.

All that said, compared to when I started (just about 20 months ago) hasn't the range of equipment expanded LOTS! Beginners, nowdays, are somewhat spoiled for choice - although, yeah, that is a double edged sword. :)

DogMan, Noe and Judith like this.
  10. Noe

Yep Dave, the choices are stacking up & as a "2nd step PV", there are multiple choices that are good for someone coming off their "training wheels" but I still think it is best to keep it simple, when a smoker wants to get a kit to try vaping for their first kit.
    Also, carrying around a big (relative to a cigarette) box looking thing to puff out of, isn't what smokers initially want or expect. Very often they want something that looks like a cigarette, while an eGo batt isn't the same size it is much closer to resembling what they initially want & won't make them feel as self-conscious as a box or tube mod would.

Of course this is generalising, there are some who will want to get into bigger devices with all the bells & whistles right away but IME the majority of those people have or will do a bit of research on their own, then ask questions if they think they need more help.
    Noes List is there for people that perhaps don't feel comfortable asking a lot of questions but want a quick & easy buying guide.

Judith and DaveJ like this.
  11. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Yep. Especially the "I wont something small - like a cigarette". Size of the battery/topper is an issue to many first starting out. It certainly was to me.

Donna likes this.
  12. eyeoflight

eyeoflight New Member

wow, to much information I think I will go to the vape store and get some help, I didn't realise how complicated it is, just hope I don't need to call my bank manager for a loan :rofl:

Judith and Jennifer like this.
  13. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Yeah - initially there is a bit to grasp. But rest assured, once past that initial hurdle it will get easier. If you have a vape store near, likly that would be a very good option for you.

hehe - many of us suffer with that problem. Always something new and shiny to try. :)

eyeoflight likes this.
  14. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Yeah, it can be overwhelming looking at all the stuff in that list.

The simpler version is:

• E-juice
    • Clearomiser tank
    • Battery
    • Charger
    • Replacement coils
    That's it.

eyeoflight, Nico and Laughter and Noe like this.
  15. Noe

Sorry if it is too hard to understand but it is as simple as I could make it, while offering some options for different budgets.

All you need to do is read the post from top to bottom, click the links & decide what you want but I have just highlighted the kit essentials in my post based on your feedback :)

eyeoflight and Judith like this.
  16. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

I wish id known about v2 being overpriced when i started. I wouldnt say i wasted $200 as it got me off smokes, but i did only use them for a week before upgrading to an ego and pro tank 2. If i knew then what i know now!:banghead:

DaveJ and Noe like this.
  17. Noe

The simpler version is:

• E-juice 10x 10ml @ 18mg/ml
    • Clearomiser tank x2
    • Battery x2
    • Charger x2
    • Replacement coils

Fixed & bolded to show changes :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Jennifer likes this.
  18. Nico and Laughter

Don't worry Steve we all did that once!

DaveJ and Judith like this.
  19. Nico and Laughter

At least you bought something decent I bought a cigalike kit from soulblue then one from Mr ecig all up $200 and they still didn't work!

20. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

I really appreciate my devices as i have progressed. I guess when i start at the bottom and work my way up i understand the sort of knowledge to help some of the newbies out with. I would never recommend any cigalike to anyone.