1. Rest in peace, Aqualung. Thank you for the magic.
    Dismiss Notice

Noe's Newbie guide to nicotine juice consumption & strength. Plus technique for reduced coughing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Noe, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

My method to work out how to advise new vapers on the strength of nic they should use in their juice is to first find out how many cancer sticks they smoked per day.

If you smoked 20-30 per day, regardless of the mg written on the packs, then to keep the cravings at bay, you will probably need to vape :
    4ml - 4.5ml @ 18mg/ml per day
    or
    3ml - 3.5ml @ 24mg/ml per day
    or
    6ml - 7ml @ 12mg/ml per day
    or
    12ml -14ml @ 6mg/ml per day.
    Vaping 12ml of juice per day is not going to leave you much time to have your hands free for other needed tasks, especially if you are using standard delivery devices like clearos.

The way I worked this out is by assuming 1mg of nicotine per smoke is absorbed, which is roughly accurate according to what we know.
    So 20 smokes = 20mg/day of nic that you are used to, 25 = 25mg/day etc.
    Rollies & other types of smoking tobacco are a little harder to quantify this way but this guide still works with rollies if we assume a rollie of medium thickness = 1 tailor made.
    When vaping, we assume 1/3 of the nic in the juice is what we absorb, so at 18mg/ml if we are absorbing 1/3 of the nic that is 6mg/ml absorbed.
    4ml x 6mg = 24mg, almost the same amount as is in 20-25 smokes.

I used to vape at 18mg/ml & was finding I had a PV in my hands/mouth very frequently, I stepped the nic up to 24mg/ml & the amount I was vaping dropped, freeing my hands up for such important tasks as typing to replies on AVF
    Without measuring the exact amounts of juice, when vaping 18mg/ml I was using roughly 5ml per day, I now vape around 3.5ml @ 24mg/ml per day, which seems to fit the pattern of my theory above

Commentary & example of the method:

The above is only a guide but IME & from talking with other vapers, I have come to believe that the formula above works.
    "I had a nice chat with another vaper , about her vaping & the struggle she is having giving up smokes completely & with dual use - vaping & smoking.
    I seriously believe that this is because she is vaping low mg/ml juice (6mg/ml) & that her body is still craving nicotine, because the strength in her vape is not providing what her body needs.
    When we give up smoking, it is not just the nicotine that is in the cancer sticks that keeps us hooked, there are other chemicals(4000+) that, when combined with nicotine, reinforce the addiction.
    I told this other vaper to try vaping some higher strength nic for a day, which she said she would do(@16mg/ml), to see if she still had cravings for a smoke throughout the day, my guess is she will have far fewer, possibly no cancer sticks today [​IMG]"

Originally Posted by The other vaper *elsewhere* (name removed for privacy) :
    "So......after our little chat the other night......I have to say that Noe's theory is definitely working for me [​IMG]

I've been pretty much still smoking and vaping 50/50 for the past month, still finding myself reaching for the rollies. I started on 6mg juice. Why?.....coz I thought most of my 'habit' was indeed the habit, not so much the nicotine. Hmm...OK...think I was definitely wrong here!

So....armed with Noe's suggestion of 16mg juice for a day, off I went to work. I will admit, I still had my two rollies with my coffee first thing in the morning, but for the rest of the day I went with the 16mg juice. I actually didn't find it that hard. I had no actual cravings for a rollie at all. Or maybe it was remembering Noe say to me 'every time you want a rollie....pick up your PV....Ha!!

That was Friday...here we are on Sunday morning....and I still have not had a rollie!! For me.....the higher mgs definitely seems to be working. I have not had that craving at all.

A few times I have had a tad of a mild headache. After consult with Noe he thinks I'm maybe still using the 16mg juice like a constant lollie pop! (prob right!).......so now I'm alternating between my 6mg and the 16mg. No headaches......and still no rollies [​IMG]

Thank you Noe [​IMG] I feel as though I am on the right track at last!!"

Notes:
    1. I posted 18mg/ml above 24mg/ml because that is the most recommended strength, the rest are in descending order.
    2. Thin Rollies - If you rolled thin ones, I would 1/2 the approx mg per smoke, so that would be 0.5mg. So 30 a day would = 15mg/day absorbed.
    3. Thick rollies - I wouldn't call a standard size rollie as thick as a tailor made, in fact I would consider that to be a thick rollie & have probably double the mg of nic of a standard size rollie.
    4. If new vapers vape at a strength of nicotine that prevents them from craving for a smoke, then over time those other 4000+ chemicals in cancer sticks won't have a hold on them.
    At that point(I estimate at least 1month) dropping the nic level in your juice, with the goal to wean yourself off nicotine altogether, is probably safe to try without returning back to smoking.

Disclaimer: I hold no medical qualifications, nor have I conducted research or done proper studies, everything is based on my observations as a vaper for over 2.5 years & many years of smoking previous to that.

Sodapop, Puffadda, MetalOz and 9 others like this.
  2. Noe

New vapers may find that vaping is causing them to cough, because it is new to them.
    If you are one of them, then this thread may help with a technique to ease you into vaping without coughing.

Most of us draw vapor into our mouth, then inhale into the lungs, some of us bum suck(not many) & some of us draw vapor directly into the lungs.
    Well I discovered a new technique, draw some air into your lungs first, then draw vapor into your mouth, then draw that into your lungs.

Ok now I hear you all saying why?
    I was thinking about how new vapers find vaping makes them cough, this is due to Throat Hit to a greater percent. By drawing air into the lungs first, the vapor/air mixture changes & the TH is a lot lighter, at least this is the effect I am finding.
    It may be a good way for newbies to get into vaping without the coughing for the first few days.

This has been tested by other vapers & has proven effective in most cases, so give it a try if you find that vaping makes you cough.
    I know it probably isn't something that long term vapers are going to switch to but it may help convert smokers to vapers, that dismiss vaping because of the initial introduction & coughing fit.

Sodapop, MetalOz, rupert and 3 others like this.
  3. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

The noes nicotine theory worked for me.

Sodapop, KITTY, Noe and 1 other person like this.
  4. Joan

Joan New Member

Thank you Noe! I got my EVODs today, and coughed a bit to start with. I think you were right about the tobacco juice too (yuck).

KITTY, Noe and Judith like this.
  5. Nico and Laughter

Oh yay, if you have any questions ask! And tobacco is yuck.

Sodapop and KITTY like this.
  6. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

As Nico and Laughter said, keep asking questions. We want it to work for you and for you to enjoy it. We all started off not knowing and most of us remember clearly. Was there any particular problem with the tobacco juice #Joan?

KITTY likes this.
  7. Noe

Not all tobacco flavours are yuck but in general the one's trying to imitate Brand name packs aren't much good, there are good ones but they still won't taste like burning tobacco.

KITTY likes this.
  8. Nico and Laughter

Yep I can tolerate some ry4s. That tobacco with vanilla and caramel. Tastes like a sweet pouch tobacco smells. I love love love vanillas.

KITTY likes this.
  9. TrueNews

TrueNews Member

I can second that - I still have around a hundred TW brand tobacco base concentrates from 4 or 5 years ago.
    I should bin them really but they do serve to constantly remind me of how far I, my wife, my son and my daughter have come since we used to smoke.

KITTY and Judith like this.
  10. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

Thanks Noe, that taking a small breath before inhaling does seem to work. Nice hint, I had someone I converted to vaping just a few days ago having trouble vaping from the cough. This technique certainly seems to help them and within a day are now enjoying vaping far more. BIG thumbs up buddy!

KITTY and Noe like this.
  11. Bandsaw

Bandsaw Member

Ok the mrs is quite bummed about her experience vaping so far. She is using nic in her juice (she has 24mg in a 50mL bottle 50/50, also 12mg in premixed juices), and it's burning her throat and she's coughing her guts up too. She also says that she's not getting much flavour because of the burn.

As I said, she's really bummed and really craving a cigarette. Can any of you awesome bunch of people help?

DogMan likes this.
  12. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

Some people get that. Do you know her inhale technique? A common cause is sucking too hard, and not prepriming the mouth with fresh air

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Dalork likes this.
  13. Noe

Please start a new thread in http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/forums/ask-the-veterans.4/ you'll get better help if you start your own thread there & you won't clutter up this thread with largely off topic discussion :)

Bandsaw likes this.
  14. Bandsaw

Bandsaw Member

Noe likes this.
  15. cloudwarrior

cloudwarrior Member

Another great thread. Judging by the theory in the first post I may not be vaping enough. A 4ml tank is lasting me a few days.

I did also find that drawing some vapour into my mouth without inhaling the first few times when having "a Vape" helped with the coughing

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Pippi and Noe like this.
  16. Noe

Everyone is a bit different but in general when we start vaping the figures in the first post are about right.
    That doesn't mean you have to fit the mold, if you are vaping less & not craving cancer sticks, then that is great. However if you still get cravings or if you are dual using & smoking sometimes, then upping your nic strength should help you transition to vaping easier.

Nico and Laughter and Jennifer like this.
  17. Nico and Laughter

The other advantage to vaping higher Nic but lower mls of juice is that in the two years since I've been vaping without doing anything I have halved my juice consumption. How good is that! Just find a juice that is strong enough and as your desire for nicotine decreases you Vape less bingo! Less money spent batteries last longer to good.

18. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

And here I am vaping more..Partly due to not using nicotine much of the time. Go figure.

19. Nico and Laughter

20. Noe

Seriously, if you are vaping heavy amounts of flavored, Zero mg nic ejuice, then you are potentially doing yourself more harm than someone vaping less mls per day of even 50mg/ml ejuice.
    You would be better off using 3 or 6mg/ml juice & giving your body what it wants, you'll probably vape far less & potentially be doing yourself less harm :)
    Given that I know you love to vape custardy/creamy type flavors, that are highly likely to be ladden full of Diketones, this is even more true.

Charles Vaper likes this.