1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

Ohm Drop Question

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Old Grump, Aug 26, 2016.

1. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

As @DogMan said, the coefficient is a number (ratio) that allows the mods chip to "measure" how resistance changes in the atomiser wire correlate to its temperature.
    Kanthal does not change resistance to a large enough degree to measure this well (at least at the scale of vaping), and thus is cannot be used in TC.
    SS, Ni and Ti all change resistance differently as power is applied, and they therefore need a different coefficient to measure how this relates to temperature changes.

I agree with you in that TC has limitations that make for a not as satisfying vape as standard VV/VW vaping. Cutoffs, having to set up power curves etc etc etc.... Too much hassle and not enough payoff.

Formaldehyde studies are flawed. They are based on conditions emulating dry hits. I highly doubt that anyone could vape under those conditions to have enough of a concentrated hit of formaldehyde to be dangerous. Vapes know when they are approaching a dry hit (particularly drippers).... Its a mistake you try to only make once! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Old Grump likes this.
  2. DogMan

DogMan Butler

temperature control was invented for heat not burn/pot

rupert summed it up well

Old Grump likes this.
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

It total agreement @rupet. As I said Rocket Science. Mate I am retired transport worker I have enough problems working out ohms law. All I want from a vape is fill up the juice screw the tank on the mod and happily vape away. Don't mind building coils got my head around that. F.....k the TC nonsense.

The amount of trouble I had to go to to find what the TCE was for my Smok Guardian 3 e.pipe was ridiculous. Even having got it set up now and vape it indoors only, as the screen is not bright enough for outdoor application, I only vape it in watt mode.

Thank you for an explanation that even I can understand. However I am giving TC vaping a big thumbs down.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of my vape at its current setting and its as sweet as.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

rupert likes this.
  4. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Im with you - TC is too much of a hassle :thumbup:

Old Grump likes this.
  5. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

The very reason I gave up on drippers and moved to Squonkers. Got to love Squonking. Indeed Try to make this mistake once Yuk!:eek::eek:

6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

While not strictly TC, the Ijoy Asolo mod I reviewed in the hardware section does have a temp protected mode, which is essentially the same as TC mode, in this mode it can use Kanthal or NiChrome or SS coils. It has proper TC modes for Ni or Ti.
    I very much like using it in that mode moreso than in wattage mode, instead of measuring temperature, it "learns" your own vaping pattern in wattage mode, you need to "teach" it for a few puffs then you can switch it into TP mode.
    In TP mode, there is no temp setting to worry about, you simply set your wattage, teach the mod, set TP mode & vape as per normal, the only thing that changes is that the mod will recognize when the coil/wick is dry & you won't get bad dry hits, you may get a little bit of burnt taste but it is going to be just a few strands singeing. It is just like having TC mode using Kanthal but with the advantages of wattage mode.
    If you want to know more go look in the hardware section for my full review :)

TC to me really only makes sense on a dripper, if you are vaping your tank dry, then you deserve the dry hit you get at the end of a tankful, tanks should ideally be refilled when they are down to or just below 10% capacity. This is so that wicking maintains a constant efficiency, when you go below 10% capacity on a tank it is not uncommon for excess wicking to occur & leaks to follow, some tanks are more guilty of this than others.
    I don't use RDAs much now, there are tanks that give as good a flavor & cloud as RDAs do now, the Limitless plus (clone) I have is a very good example but I could see where TC used on a squonk mod with an RDA could be useful, however I don't have any squonk mods yet ( I do have a Skyfall squonk tank though).
    In my mind, TC on a squonk mod would make sense, if you forget to squonk when you need to, TC would kick in & save you getting dry hits, at least that is my theory. It is probably something more useful for beginning squonkers than experienced squonkers.

I don't see a lot of use for TC, it's good to have for those times when you're using a dripper but most of us use tanks & really have no need for TC.

Edit: I hate typos.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    rupert and Old Grump like this.
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Totally in full agreement well put as usual @Noe

8. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Interesting about the Asolo, Ive not seen that TP mode in action, but am keen to try it :)
    You have just reminded me that after your review I was looking at purchasing one, but never bit the bullet. Thanks for reminding me :rolleyes:

Noe and Old Grump like this.
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Here is the Video Url on You Tube.

FT have them

rupert likes this.