PG / VG types, good and bad?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Rob, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Rob

Rob Member

I've been buying PG/VG from same guy for about 3 years and happy with it. But this time I bought it of Ebay so I saved $20. It was a combo 2x 1L PG/VG USP grade. I made my normal mix but it tastes harsh and strong flavored, not very mouthful, as if I had too much PG in the mix. I can even taste cotton on my coil which normally I don't. I made 1/2 Liter of the stuff :-(
    I'll have to buy from my dealer after all and dump this. So my questions is about types of VG, I believe some is made from soy and some from palm. I have no idea which type I normally vape.
    And what about PG, is that all the same or it can be different as well? I could just buy my favorite VG from me dealer so I don't waste the PG I all ready got.
    Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Sounds to me like you've added more PG than you thought you did, because you say it's "harsh & strong flavored", which is characteristic of higher PG in the mix (certainly not a bad thing, some vapers like high PG ratios).
    Is it possible you added an extra measure of PG by mistake?
    Also did you change nic brands from your last batch?
    Nic is another, highly likely, cause for harshness, if you added a little too much or just changed brands or even a different batch from the same brand.

IME, as a vaper & juice maker, I've tried several different types (brands) of VG.
    I've certainly, no doubt, had both palm & soy based VG, while I couldn't tell you which type each brand uses but I have noticed some VG seems to be a bit sweeter than others. Other than that, I am confident that USP grade VG from any source is going to behave the same in an ejuice blend, that is it will thicken the juice & add more cloudiness to the vapor.
    The added sweetness from some VG I've tried (which to be fair isn't a lot more), tells me that the impurities are not exactly alike between manufacturers but if it is USP grade then there is only 0.5% or less that is possibly different between batches.

What I think you should try, before ditching 1/2L of ejuice is, mix in a 30ml bottle just 10ml of juice with the new PG & VG.
    Use clean cotton & dry burn your coil to clean impurities from it before you re-wick (if using RBAs) or install a new coil head (if using premade coils).
    Do not take any notice of the first 2 mls you vape through the new build/coil, this is a standard amount I always allow for break-in time on a new build, before evaluating the build/new juice etc.
    If you get the same result, then try adding a little more VG to the remainder of the 10ml & see if that improves things, you may find that an extra 5% VG in the ratio is all you needed.

USP grade PG, as far as I am aware, comes from few different manufacturers, with the bulk of it coming from a single manufacturer, so it is generally very consistent. What you need to be careful of though is if it has a strong chemical smell/taste, as that could indicate contamination introduced either in the bulk batch or perhaps just in the particular bottle(s) it's being decanted into.
    It will have soemchemical taste, that is quite normal but as an experienced vaper you'd know if it didn't taste right, 1 drop on your finger is all you should need to be able to tell.

Hope you sort this out mate, let us know if you need more advice.

3. Rob

Rob Member

Thanks for the reply! I've been experimenting trying to adjust PG/VG levels.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019 at 9:06 PM
  4. Rob

Rob Member

Quick update - OMG I've just had a smell from the PG/VG bottles I received, The PG smells like Alcohol! What the hell did he send me? I'm gonna have to see if it burns and post later what I've found.
    Later :) ---- My wife said it smells like Isopropyl Alcohol.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  5. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

If he's sent you alcohol instead of PG, then it's his fault & you should definitely get in contact with them to sort the problem out. I would ask for a full replacement order, not just a replacement of the PG, alternatively put in an Ebay dispute as you did not recieve what you ordered & you'll likely get a full refund.
    Unfortunately, there is no recovering the juice you mixed if it has isopropyl in it, no matter what you do to try to fix it. The only solution is to mix a new lot of juice without the isopropyl, even if it means using just VG for dilution, you'd only need a small mix with a high VG content to get you through until more supplies arrive.

What a pain though, at least now you know it wasn't your mixing skills failing.

6. Rob

Rob Member

I will get PG/VG from my old supplier which is what I should have done in first place.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019 at 9:05 PM