1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about batteries

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by Stuart, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

Can anyone tell me what happens to the mah when your using three batteries? I'm using 3 vtc5' in my mod :)

2. DogMan

DogMan Butler

depends if they are series or parallel

3. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

I'm using the rx200. I think they run in series. I read somewhere that mods that run higher watts are in series. Not really sure thought.

4. DogMan

DogMan Butler

series the mah stays the same, amps the same, voltage is increased

really important to keep them paired, charged together etc, never separated

5. emu

emu Banned

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope that helps Stuart

Browny, Noe and Stuart like this.
  6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

To expand on what Dogman said.
    Batteries you want to use in series should be considered "married for life" or paired (a polygamous marriage in the case of 3 batts lol).
    The reason for this is that if you take one of the batts & use it for something else, then the potential charge inside the battery is going to be less than the other battery(s) it is paired with, this will cause an imbalance over time & lead to one battery working harder than the other, this can be very dangerous & is not something you want near your face if anything goes wrong.

Also it is a good idea to rotate the positions of the batteries, when they are connected in series so the batt in slot 1 this time moves to slot 2 next time (after the next charge cycle) etc, this way they share the load better & you avoid over stressing one of the batteries, similar to what I wrote above. When batteries are connected in series, usually the one closest to the load will work a little harder than the other(s), if they are not rotated in positions, over time, this can cause one to be more drained than the other(s).

Once you unpair a set of batteries by using 1 on its own for something,

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Firekombi, Browny, emu and 2 others like this.
  7. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

Thanks, I'll definitely rotate them and keep them married for life lol....lol..

8. DogMan

DogMan Butler

The sanctity of paired batteries :)

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

9. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

And poligimas marrage lol...lol..

Browny, emu and DogMan like this.
  10. Noe

Also it is a good idea to mark your pairs with a felt pen or something I mark mine with letters & numbers, so I have pair A1, A2 then pair B1, B2 this way I know that pair A cell 1 was in slot 1 & next time it needs to be in slot 2. When the batts are drained & need charging, I replace them with pair B & charge pair A with cell 1 on the right of cell 2, the same way I put them into the battery case for their next use. This way I always know to put the left batt in slot 1 & the right batt in slot 2.

Browny, emu and Stuart like this.
  11. emu

emu Banned

A three battery rotation in the A1 slot 1, A2 slot 2, A3 slot 3 -- B1 slot one ,B2 slot 2, B3 slot 3, so next time B1 to slot 1, B2 to slot 2, B3 to slot 3 because that's the spare set of batts. So when the B set of batts need replacing you have to put the A set in A1 to slot 2, A2 to slot 3 and A3 to slot 1.
    And that's only the third battery change, it's just too much and would do my head in. :)

Stuart likes this.
  12. Browny

Browny Senior Member

I believe it was you who mentioned this a year or more ago 'at another place' and it made perfect sense to me so I've been doing it ever since.

Noe and emu like this.
  13. Noe

In practice it is much simpler than it sounds, you just need to mark the batts & use a system where you know which slot is slot 1 on the mod & when you take the batt out of slot 1 you place it into slot 2 on the charger (then do the same with the other 2 batts following the system), then when you put the batts away put them in the same order every time & you'll always know that the batt in position 1 in the battery case goes into slot 1 etc, the makrkings on the batts become less important if you follow the same routine every time but they do distinguish that set A is deifferent to set B, which is the most important part.

While rotating batteries is a very good idea, it is not quite as critical as not mixing your pairs or not using a cell in a pair on its own, if you get muddled up & put the same cell into slot 1 twice in a row it won't make that much difference overall, if you continued doing that over its lifetime though it could become a problem ending in a fire or explosion but not as likely as if you mixed up pairs or used a cell on its own out of a pair.

Stuart and emu like this.
  14. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

Here's another one for you guy's :) do new batteries have to break in? Do they last longer after they have been charged a few time's?

15. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I find it quite scary that so much can go wrong with this unregulated battery business. There are a lot of idiots out there fiddling around who probably don't know half this stuff.

By the way Noe, I can barely read the white font against the standard forum back drop. Got a head ache trying.

Stuart likes this.
  16. DogMan

DogMan Butler

modern batteries have no "memory"

in days gone by, with older chemistry, it was advised to leave batteries charging overnight the first time, let them completely drain, and charge overnight again. Li ion batteries aren't like that. Charge them to 4.2 volts and take them out of the charger straight away, let them rest at least half an hour before putting in a mod

Stuart likes this.
  17. Noe

No.
    They often are not shipped fully charged though & should be charged before use but LI-Ion don't suffer from "memory effect" so as long as they have charge they are good to use.

Stuart likes this.
  18. Noe

Edited to try & fix that, is that better?

19. DogMan

DogMan Butler

and people think regulated mods will provide safety against things like drawing too many amps, or not pairing batteries. They think all asplosions are on mechs

you are right, it is ****ing scary [scarey?]

20. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Yep, much better thanks. :)