Rofvape Witcher 75W TC Kit

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Noe, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Recently, I was sent free for review the Rofvape Withcher Box Mod 75W TC Kit, by Pheric at ElegoMall.com .
    Rofvape also make the Witcher tank, which is available separately at Elegomall here: [-url=https://www.elegomall.com/rofvape-witcher-tank.html]Witcher Tank[/url]
    Rofvape replacement coils for the tank, are available in 0.5ohm Kanthal, 0.5ohm SS316 & 1.5ohm clapton (most likely also Kanthal wire used in these), Elegomall sells these too: Replacement coils
    The Witcher mod can also be purchased separately but the price for it alone is more than for the Witcher Kit on Elegomall: Witcher mod

UNBOXING:
    I need to give Elegomall.com props here. Rather than the usual bubblewrap envelope or bubblewrap wrapped around the items inside a plastic satchel, that most vendors use. They put the Witcher Kit inside a sturdy cardboard box, then used shock absorbing foam sheets to wrap the Witcher Kit's display box in & pack into the void left in the protective box.
    This speaks volumes to the care taken with their outgoing orders.

(click on pics to see full size)
    [​IMG]

On the front of the Witcher box is a picture of the Witcher, this is not the color of the mod inside, the color of the mod will be the same as a sticker found on the end of the box.

[​IMG]

On the back of the box is a fair amount of info about the Witcher, as well as a list of the contents inside.

[​IMG]

Opening the box there is the Witcher Mod, the Witcher Tank, a spare glass tank section & a second cage section. This cage is a smaller size than the installed cage, for 22mm diameter or smaller tanks, the installed cage can accomodate tanks up to 25mm diameter.

[​IMG]

Lifting out the foam insert, there are more accessories underneath.

[​IMG]

There is some spare orings for the tank, a hex key for removing the protective cage, a USB cable for charging, A second Drip Tip, warranty card, instruction manual & 2x spare coils.

[​IMG]

The included coils are all different types of wire, all three are sub ohm coils. The one installed in the Witcher is Kanthal (Wattage mode only), the spares are Ni200 (Ni TC mode only) & SS (SS TC & wattage modes).
    Since SS can be used in TC or Wattage mode, I think this would have been enough for testing the TC mode on the Witcher, the Ni200 coil is not something many vapers will use.

Rofvape also make a 1.5ohm Clapton coil for the Witcher tank, which is not but I think should be, included in the package. This is disappointing because the Air Flow Control (AFC) can be reduced for a tight MTL style vape & the 1.5ohm coil would most likely be ideal for this style of vaping, none of the included coils work very well for MTL style.
    I think Rofvape should do away with the Ni200 coil & instead include the 1.5ohm Clapton coil or keep the Ni200 coil but still include the 1.5 ohm coil. By not including this coil, Rofvape are missing a whole segment of the community that enjoy MTL style vaping, with the kit only having sub ohm coils, MTL style vapers are unlikely to consider the Witcher as a purchase.

IN USE:

When you take the mod out of the box, you will need to install an 18650 battery. Since this mod can run up to 75W, I am going to recommend Samsung 25R or 30Q or similar LG or Sony batteries that can handle a continuous 20A output.
    Removing the battery cap on the bottom of the mod is easy, the threads are smooth on the screw cap & the grooves on the cap help with grip. On the inside of the cap & on the bottom of the mod is a "-" marking, indicating negative end, place the battery in positive end first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the battery installed the screen will light up with Witcher on it.

[​IMG]

The screen then changes, with the mod in wattage mode & set at its maximum of 75W.
    The Witcher can be used as low as 7W up to 75W & is adjusted in increments of 0.5w. It would have been better if the increments were 0.1w but I think 0.5w is acceptable in most instances.
    All testing with this device was done in wattage mode.

[​IMG]

Changing into TC modes is simple, with the mod switched on, click the fire button 3 times rapidly & then use the up or down buttons to select the TC mode you want.
    You can also change the screen mode from left to right orientation this way.
    When you choose your TC mode, you will first need to select the wattage(ramp up) for that mode, it will then go to the normal TC mode screen & you can select the temperature you want from 100C to 315C, if there was a setting to change to degrees F I was unable to find it.
    Holding the down button & fire button together will lock your wattage setting, so that if you accidentally hit the up or down buttons it will not change the wattage, it will also prevent you clicking the fire button 3 times to change modes, to unlock just hold the fire & down buttons a second time.

The mod feels very comfortable in your hand, Rofvape have obviously thought about the ergonomics of the Witcher. The fire button is ideally placed for thumb firing with either hand & there is a well rounded cut out below where the tank sits to use as a finger rest for your 3rd or 4th finger (depending on hand size).

[​IMG]

Before using the Witcher though, as with all new atomisers I recommend washing out the tank, here is what the tank looks like broken down into its parts after cleaning.

[​IMG]

Before filling the tank, I recommend priming the coil you are going to use. To do this I dripped some juice into the top of the coil, until I could see the wicking slots on the coil head had changed color & looked wet, notice the dry wick on the coil on the right. Also notice the positive connector on the coil heads, which appear to be silver plated, this will help reduce volt drop & aid good electrical conductivity to the coil.

[​IMG]

Here is the tank upside down, to illustrate how the airflow works in the tank & through the coil.
    The air passes through the AFC at the top of the tank (pictured on the bottom), passes through the 6 pipes running the length of the tank, into the base of the tank, then through the airflow slots on the positive connector (with the base pictured beside the tank screwed on) of the coil head & up through the coil to the Drip Tip.
    This system works extremely well, at no time during testing did I feel like there was not enough airflow, in fact I had the AFC open only about 1/4 of the maximum. The afc can be closed nearly completely to get a very good restricted MTL type draw but when I tested using the provided coils the vape was too hot to be used this way. I really wish Rofvape had included one of the 1.5ohm coils in this kit or that ElegoMall had included some as spares, because I can't say for certain that is tank will be good for MTL vapers but my best educated guess is that it would be, with those 1.5ohm coil heads.

[​IMG]

With the coil primed, the tank assembled & screwed back onto the Witcher mod, you are ready to fill it. The fill method is from the top, so you need to unscrew the top cap, which is mad easy by the crown-like design on the top cap. Under the top cap is a large silicone seal, that seals the juice section of the tank, with the top cap off you can see the air flow tubes around the fill port of the tank. The AFC has a stopper, you can also see the stopper pins protruding on the inside at the top.
    Filling with a glass dropper (as pictured) is possible but it would be easier using a dropper bottle, just be careful not to get juice into the center hole because that is where the vapor from the coil comes through, also getting juice down into the air tubes is not ideal either. I was able to fill the tank to almost overflowing without any problem.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    jonboots, Gasman, RC. and 1 other person like this.
  2. Noe

As mentioned above, the Witcher will accommodate 25mm tanks, to test this I tried the Ijoy Limitless plus on the mod, in the picture it may look like the Airflow is being restricted by the cage but that is not the case, there is sufficient room for the air to pass between the cage & into the AFC of the RDTA.

[​IMG]

If the tank looks like it is not sitting exactly flush, that is because it isn't, the 510 connection on the mod sits up a little from the housing by about 1-2mm, I think this is by design to allow tanks/clearomizers with bottom airflow from under the tank to work on the Witcher. In use this gap is barely noticeable & probably will not get anyone's OCD meter rising, for me it looked fine.
    Even with a 25mm tank on the Witcher, the cage is going to be the most likely point of impact if the device is dropped on any of the three sides where the tank is, followed by the base of the mod, I really like this idea as it means the glass tank is given quite a lot of protection from the cage.

The Witcher will stand upright quite well on its battery cap end but I found myself often just laying it flat on its side. I tested the tank for leaking on its side by sitting the device aside for 5 days with a near full tank of juice, when I came back to it, there was not one drop of juice anywhere outside the tank, not even in the base where the coil is installed. However as with all tanks, condensation will lead to some watery juice being deposited & this will end up in the base of this tank, as I found out after a few tankfuls there were a few drops in the base, although there was no gurgling at all from the tank at any point.

For comparison sake, here is the Witcher side by side with a well known tank & mod, the Subtank Mini(converted to be a TopTank mini) & the Evic VTC mini. While the form factors are different, there is not a lot of difference in overall size, where the Witcher kit is wider, the Evic/STM combo is taller.
    However when held, the Witcher's ergonomics make it feel less wide than it actually is, while the Evic/STM combo still feels tall to use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Given my experience in using the Witcher tank, I am happy to declare it leak & seep free.
    The design of this tank is top notch in many respects, the threads are all smooth, the AFC works very well & is hard to knock out of place but spins effortlessly when you want it to, the vape quality is good for both volume & flavor, I just wish it came with the 1.5 ohm Clapton coil heads included in the kit, that is the only con I can think of for this tank.
    If only someone would bring out a RTA with similar airflow design...

The Witcher Mod is not quite stealthy but it does have a very low profile & it sits comfortably in the hand.
    I have 2 issues with it though, the first is minor, changing wattage at 0.5W increments is not always ideal, I would have preferred 0.1W increments.
    The second, also minor, is that the low battery protection cuts in at 3.5V battery power remaining. While this is good for battery protection, it reduces run times, 3.2V power remaining would have had the same effect of protecting the battery from being over drained but allowed for longer run time.
    Despite those 2 minor issues, it is hard not to like this mod, it feels solid & well made, without being heavy.

Overall Rofvape has put together a well built & well thought out kit here. Their one big oversight was in not including the 1.5ohm coils (yes I have mentioned it many times), which would most likely have interested more vapers than a Ni200 coil head will.
    I do plan to get some 1.5ohm coils for this Kit, to test it for MTL compatibility & I will update this review when I have, at present I am not certain but I do think it will be useful for MTL style vapers.
    For everyone else, if you are looking for a pocket friendly (no leaks!), reasonably well protected, comfortable to hold PV, then this could be just what you are looking for.

Gasman, RC., Wanda and 1 other person like this.
  3. Noe

@Gasman, I know you like these kinds of devices, this review should interest you :)

Gasman and RC. like this.
  4. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Nice review Noe, I personally don't like the looks of it but it seems to work ok.

Noe and Gasman like this.
  5. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Yeah Noe I did read your review with interest. I've also watched one if memory serves from Vaping with Vic in Scotland.

I very much appreciate you mentioning me but to be honest I think I'm with R.C. in that I don't think it's for me.
    My opinion hasn't changed from what I've seen which is it still appears rather cumbersome and fugly.

A bit like me really.

Noe and RC. like this.
  6. Noe

Well if you ever hold that vape meet, I'll bring it along for you to try :)
    It's better than it looks, when i was offered to review it I was a bit hesitant because of how it looks but once i got it in my hand I was not quite "in love" with it but saw the beauty of it.

7. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

8. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

What happened there?

What I said was I'm more than happy to host a vape meet but due to a perceived lack of interest I've left it there.

Time will tell.

9. Noe

I don't think there is lack of interest. Speaking from experience, organising a vape meet in WA takes a bit of effort on the forum to "advertise" & keep the thread running (eg. bumping the thread). Getting the numbers won't happen by itself, if the thread isn't active it is hard to get the numbers.

Back on topic, this device quite surprised me, I really didn't think much of it until I started using it, I thought it would be cumbersome to hold but it is quite the opposite. There's reasons I compared it to the Evic VTC mini, one of those is that it feels better in the hand than the VTC mini, the rounded edges on the Witcher vs the square edges on the VTC mini, the angle both need to be held at to vape & the fire button placement on each all add up to helping make my preference to use the Witcher over the VTC mini.
    Sure the VTC mini is not as wide but width isn't the only measure of comfort, when I hold the VTC mini, I know I am holding a box mod, it feels like a box, when I hold the Witcher it doesn't feel like a box, that is the best way I can describe it.