1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

Series Squonk Mod, Project#1 - Semi Mechanical.

Discussion in 'Modding and Technical' started by rupert, Jul 10, 2016.

1. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Starting this thread as I don't want to hijack Bowsers existing thread.

Well, I finally got around to pulling all of my bits and pieces together, and this is the general setup so far:

-Triple batt sled (one spot for bottle, two for the batts to go in series).
    -Single p-MOSFET, with 8mm switch.
    -Small factor Voltmeter (blue LED).
    -Tactile spring loaded button with blue LED.
    -Varitube BF 510 connector.
    -Wires of appropriate gauges (not shown).
    -Appropriate resistors (not shown).

[​IMG]

General potential layout is shown, and the dimensions I am set on at present are:
    W75mm x H115mm x D25mm
    Which will give enough room for the components without being tiiiiight. The only thing I am second guessing is the depth, as the deeper it is, the more room between the door and the bottle.

Anyone have any insight into layouts and/or inner box dimensions?

Id like to throw this out there before I start making a custom wooden box, as once its on the go, there is no turning back :D

Cheers.

Bowser and Aussie like this.
  2. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

Looking good rupert!

As for layout, to minimise space, you are obviously better off mounting the meter and chip in the empty space in the top right.

Depth is definitely "the narrower the better". The bottle is best right up close to the door.

rupert and DogMan like this.
  3. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Thanks @laurie9300 :)

I've revised since writing the OP to:
    W65mm x H118mm x D23mm.

That should minimise the gap to the bottle, plus, accommodate the 22mm 510 at the top of the mod. Also, will give me all the room I need to mount the voltmeter in the top right, under the button and above the sled, as well as keeping the FET and switch space minimised.

Im looking at box thickness of 5mm top and bottom, and 7mm sides - mainly due to having to accommodate the thickness of the voltmeter in the actual wall of the box, negating having to bring it inside the box too much, or having to make a 2mm spacer.

I propose that the front and back covers will be 5mm each.
    Back plate fixed, and front with hole to bottle, as well as removable via magnet.

That will make this a quite sizeable box.....
    Total dimensions of: W79mm x H128mm x D23mm (without front and back covers), or D33mm (with front and back covers).

I guess to get this much power in there plus a bottle its not going to be small form factor......

laurie9300 and DogMan like this.
  4. laurie9300

Your first project is always like that, best to have room. You learn from experience, and subsequent projects are all about minimising.......

DogMan and rupert like this.
  5. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

That was my school of thought exactly :D
    Im bound to need a little room for error on this build.

Have you ever taken length off the varitube pin? (cut it down)
    That could possibly cut the height of my box down (not for this build but in future).

6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Gently heating the bottom of the bottle, you could reduce its length (and volume) thus reducing the height required overall but you need to be gentle & careful or you can melt the plastic & create a hole(s).

7. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Will the voltmeter measure your batteries, or volt drop at the 510?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

8. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I had thought about this, unfortunately, the batt sled and the way I am going to mount the bottle won't allow for this :(
    If i went for a single 18650 sled for the bottle, and a double sled for the batt's, I could have done it this way, but the box would gain a few mm width (not a bad trade off to reduce the height!).
    But I live and learn! :D

Volt drop at the 510. It will be connected directly to the 510 pos and neg, so I can measure the actual voltage being delivered to the atomiser.
    My my very rudimentary calc's, there will be less than 0.4V drop via circuitry, so it should be fairly indicative of batt voltage too.

DogMan and laurie9300 like this.
  9. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I guess the other option would to be to not mount the bottle at the top of the batt sled (with the nut holding it in place) and bring it to sit on the bottom of the sled, which may reduce the height by 10mm or so?

10. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I just visited a local timber place and sourced some exotic timbers to build my box.
    One timber type for the frame, and a different for the faceplates. Markedly different grains.

The fellow even cut and planed the timbers to suit for me.
    Now just to actually build the boxes.

Very happy camper right now :)

Noe, Bowser, DogMan and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bowser

Bowser Member

Nice, I missed this post when you started it up. Certainly will be interesting to watch you progress through the build :)

rupert likes this.
  12. laurie9300

Fancy naming your supplier, others may benefit?

rupert likes this.
  13. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Its a local furniture producing joint, and as I know the guy through work, I was able to explain the project to him, get some timber cuts and have them cut to 5mm sheets, and roughly to size.
    Im not sure it would be of much benefit to anyone else, as he doesn't do internet sales or anything like that unfortunately.

14. Noe

I think that would make sense, the problem that I can see is the length of the 510 assembly. With a shorter bottle you could recess that 510 assembly more & shorten the height ove the mod over all. You could then use the top of the 2 locking nuts to mount on the top of the batt sled if you felt it was needed.
    I would also consider cutting the edge away on the batt sled on the bottle side & having the bottle butting up to the inner mod wall to reduce some width.

rupert likes this.
  15. Noe

Where's the pics? :p

rupert likes this.
  16. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Initial playing around with wood. Couldn't help myself and manually cur the mitre joints.
    Should have waited to use an actual mitre saw, but meh.

Durian frame, and zebra wood covers.
    I have enough to build about 5 boxes at these dimensions.

I've probably stuffed these cuts, and might save these for a smaller parallel box (perhaps a DNA75 or SJX non-squonker), then again, they might work out alright. Time will tell!!! :whistling:

None-the-less, the pics give a good indication of the grains and general look of the wood itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bowser, DogMan and Noe like this.
  17. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

That is a good call. I think the shaving down of the sled will help. I am not sure I am confident enough to do it with this build yet - once I have seen my failures in this build, I will be able to factor them into my next ones :D Hopefully not repeat them in future.

The current box size is now 72mm in width, having the sled (60mm), 2mm play space, and the 5mm walls on each side.
    The varitube 510's are longer than I had expected, and that has been the limiting factor in my designing the height of the box so far. I might look at shaving it down, as that will help with the height for sure :)

Also -pics above now :)

18. btobw

btobw Member

Rupert, I have no idea if this will be useful for what you are doing, but ...

When I swapped the FDV 510 in my VR Wood mod for the Varitube, the varitube was way too long if I wanted to keep the same size bottle. So I got rid of the spring in the varitube and used just one of the nuts (plus using the red o-ring per the instructions in that pdf).

It's no long self-adjusting, of course, but it shortened it considerably (by almost the thickness of a nut). This is what the varitube 510 in my VR wood mod looks like now (excuse crappy phone photos). The squonk pin goes a fairly long way into the bottle, and the bottle is pushed up the tube as far as it will go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Wow, that is actually really useful, and something I had not thought of.
    Im going to use an actual mitre saw tomorrow (when not under the influence of vino), and will take a look at my kit to see if this is a possibility, and how I can modify the box height.

Thanks Di :)

btobw and DogMan like this.
  20. Bowser

Bowser Member

Just on this. When I was doing mine I used a Dremel with a grinding bit for thicker areas and a sanding bit for thinner areas & finishing off. Its a slow process, sure, but in my (limited) experience you would really need do something wrong (too high speed/too much pressure) to render the sled unusable.

Just thought I would share this as food for thought.

E: If you decide to give this a shot it might be worthwhile wearing gloves, hot plastic on skin has a funny effect... It burns! Not stupid hot or anything and it cools quickly, but I'm too stupid to use PPE outside of eye protection, and I certainly felt a few of the splatters.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Noe, DogMan, laurie9300 and 1 other person like this.