SKYFALL RDA Squonk Tank

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Noe, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

FocusEcig the manufacturer of the SKYFALL RDA Squonk tank, kindly sent me this product free for testing & review.
    For those that don't know what Squonk is, it is a term used to describe the sound made when using a bottom fed RDA, which is usually done with a refillable juice bottle inside your mod. These mods are generally either hard to obtain, expensive or both, although more are becoming available made cheaply from China but good ones are hard to find.
    The Skyfall does things a little differently, it still feeds the RDA from the bottom & squonks but it is a self contained unit, separate to your mod. This means you can use it to squonk with on any mod of your choosing!
    This is IMO a very innovative product & a bit of a game changer, it opens up a different method of vaping to many more vapers!

Unboxing:
    The Skyfall comes in one of those hard plastic cases which I quite like.
    On the back side of the case there is a lot of information written on the cardboard inside, these are the only instructions provided with the Skyfall & unfortunately they do not make it very clear about how to fill the tank (more about that later).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flipping to the front of the box, we can see the Skyfall itself & an included Stainless Steel chuff cap plus a bag of spares, housed in a foam insert.
    On the Side of the box the word Skyfall is proudly displayed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Opening the box up, & removing the foam insert reveals a sheet of organic cotton, in a plastic zip lock bag, however the box itself has a very strong odor of either glue used on the foam insert, thinners or some kind of solvent used in the cleaning of the device. This odor had permeated into the cotton, even through the bag, so I will not use the cotton provided & recommend that if you do, you check/smell it carefully before using it.
    Not a big con, I have plenty of good wicking material of my own, as most vapers who buy this device will but for some vapers, this may be their first Rebuildable device & if it is I recommend adding some organic cotton wick to your order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bag of spares includes 2 screws for trapping wires, the screws used in the Skyfall for positive & negative terminals have large screw heads, your magic blue screwdriver is not going to work well on these, I found a size 1 or size 0 posidrive screwdriver (not phillips) works best with them.
    Also in the bas is a spare spring for the pump section in case you lose one, 2 premade coils, a spare insulator, a spare positive post nylon screw(this fits on the underside of the RDA), spare o-rings & a Standard (non-BF) 510 pin, to allow you to use the RDA as a stand alone without the tank.
    A nice selection of spares here, perhaps adding 2 spare springs would have been better but you won't be needing to check the springs or take them out very often, so 1 should be enough in case you have 1 fly off & lose it.

[​IMG]

Setting up:
    As already mentioned the Skyfall box had a strong odor inside it, thus cleaning this device before use is essential. For this I took the RDA & tank sections completely to pieces & in sniffing the inside of the tank detected the odor on these parts too. I even went as far as to break the pump section down into its component parts before washing everything in hot soapy water & allowing it to soak for a while, before rinsing & allowing to dry. Thankfully the odor wasn't present after a thorough washing.

Pump disassembled:
    [​IMG]

All parts broken down, cleaned, dried & ready to be reassembled:
    [​IMG]

Bottom feeding comes through the BF 510 screw then out at either side of the screw, at the lowest point possible, which is below the bottom of the main juice well, this means excess juice is removed more efficiently than on some other BF RDA designs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The RDA uses a 2 post design, these are at opposite sides, leaving the center of the RDA post-less, the post holes are very large, as you can see the 2mm shaft on my magic blue screwdriver slide through with room to spare.

[​IMG]

rupert likes this.
  2. Noe

In use:

My preferred RDA configuration is a flavor chasing build, with a single coil for quick & easy set up.
    Some RDAs are designed for great flavor, some are designed for cloud chasing, the Skyfall's design allows for both styles, it also allows for single or dual coil in either style & it comes with 2 different top caps, which allows for a 3rd option of not the best clouds it can produce nor the best flavor but rather a configuration somewhere between the 2.
    Using the chuff cap, with the outer sleeve set to allow side AFC, you can use dual or single coils for cloud chasing, in this mode the outer sleeve controls air flow & has 3 slots for single or dual AFC.
    Using the unusual looking 510 top cap, you can set the RDA up in single or dual coil for either side airflow for middle of the road or top airflow for better flavor chasing.
    This last, using a single coil is how I chose to test the device, mostly, for this configuration the outer sleeve is turned so that the AFC slots are at the top of the RDA. There are 2 air slots on the top of the RDA body, the 510 top cap has 3 cut outs to line up on these slots, in single coil mode only 1 needs to be lined up, in dual coil mode 2 need to be lined up, once lined up AFC can be reduced or increased by turning the top cap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 510 top cap also serves as a splash guard, to reduce spitting juice coming off the coil(s) up into your mouth, the way it does this is one of the better methods I have seen used for this prevention.
    There is a "stem" on the top cap (all one piece) that sits inside the tank, level with the bottom of the side AFC slots on the RDA body, this means where your coils sit is above the bottom of this stem, helping to greatly reduce any spit back.
    The other function this stem serves is in reducing the atty chamber, which helps it produce better flavor than if it was not present, it is clear that a lot of thought & innovation has gone into the design of the RDA.

[​IMG]

The RDA base & post design make it easy to build on, fitting in a Kanthal Clapton coil was a breeze.
    I did however have a few issues with installing a 26G Titanium coil, due to the screws used to trap the wires.
    The ends of the screws may be sharp, one of the ones in my Skyfall was, I mentioned this to the Focusecig rep along with all other cons I found with the device.
    The rep said that they do not manufacture the screws, they just order them in & install them, so a factory fix is unlikely, however I found that by filing/sanding the end of the screw to remove sharp edges, this problem was remedied.

[​IMG]

The Squonk pump works well & as you can see in this picture (taken just after Squonking from a dry wick) the wick gets soaked nicely & there is little to no excess juice left in the base of the RDA.

[​IMG]

The RDA body is easy to align & goes on easily, ready to be used in either cloud chasing or flavor chasing config., as described above.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    rupert likes this.
  3. Noe

The Tank:

[​IMG]

Focusecig, state that this will hold 5ml on the box, using a 5ml syringe I measured it to hold 4ml at most, before eliquid would start coming out of the top of the tank, from around the o-ring where the air ports are for the tank. So I would not try to put more than 3.5-4ml into the tank, which I still think is a good amount of eliquid to hold.

Pumping the tank is done by pushing the outer ring(with SKYFALL written on it) down, the system works very well & the springs inside seem to be the right balance of stiff & soft to allow it to automatically come back up but not be too stiff to squonk.
    Over the course of going through a full tank, you may notice a few droplets of juice around the squonk ring, it is not very much at all, more of a film than anything. This is unavoidable due to the design of the tank & is really a non-issue, I never had drips of juice running down the sides of the tank, even with frequent over-squonking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To make connection with the 510 of the RDA section, there is an adjustable (screwed) positive ring that screws onto the juice tube.
    This is what may cause some users frustration, I found that adjusting this properly took some practice & it needed to sit higher than I would have initially thought it should.
    The 510 pos pins on the RDA (BF screw) when tightened all the way up are slightly recessed inside the 510 of its connector. This also leads to the tank's 510 post to need to be screwed higher than necessary, Focusecig have said they will be improving this by making the heads on the RDA 510 pos pins longer, so that they are not recessed & rather poke out a little.
    This adjustment screw may need adjusting after every time you remove the RDA from the tank, however it is stable enough of a connection for use with TC builds/mods.

[​IMG]

To fill the tank, you need to use a syringe & needle or a needle tipped juice bottle, loosening or removing the pump ring is needed to allow air inside the tank to escape.
    This was not clear on the instructions & at first I had thought that the only way to fill the tank was to remove the tank's base, which was a messy process. This was another point I raised with Focusecig, this method of filling is not ideal & I felt that it would be easy to install a fill screw on top of the tank, to allow for dropper bottle filling. Focusecig listened & say they will revise the design for the next run, to include this feature.

[​IMG]

Overall:

The vape quality from the SKYFALL is very good, the pump works as it should, it is customisable to your own vape style, it can bring squonking to vapers that otherwise may never experience squonking.
    The SKYFALL is a high quality device, made from 316grade Stainless Steel, with a quality glass tank & all parts are machined (post screws notwithstanding) to a high standard.
    The innovative RDA & tank can be used separately or together, if you have a favorite BF RDA already, you may want to use it on the tank & you can, if you want to use the RDA as a standard (non-BF) RDA on any mod, you can.
    Priced at around $30US this represents good value, as you are getting 2 different high quality pieces (tank & RDA).
    To say I am very impressed with what Focusecig has produced with the SKYFALL, would be an understatement & it will only get better once they implement the minor changes to the device from the feedback they have received & listened to.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Catweazle, rupert, Studiovape and 3 others like this.
  4. Pipesub

Pipesub Senior Member

Read the whole thing Noe, nice write up. A 5 second vid showing the squonk action would be a killer addition to this great review.
    Thanks for this :)

Noe likes this.
  5. Studiovape

Studiovape Member

Nice review Noe. Better than a 3D by the sounds of it.

Noe likes this.
  6. Noe

Never tried a 3D so can't compare the two.
    What I can say is the 3D never really interested me, the SKYFALL looked very interesting to me the moment I saw it, once I got it in my hands I could tell it was a quality made piece, testing only went to prove to me that this was the case & that a lot of thought had gone into its design.