1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

So youve given up smoking..would you try giving up vaping?

Discussion in 'Polling Booth' started by Steve Thomas, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

My question is ....now that you have quit smoking, do you ever plan to quit vaping???
    I hear lots of stories including my own that people use vaping to quit smoking with the intention to eventually quit vaping.
    Others even say things like... i will ween my way off the nicotine, then eventually get off vaping altogether.
    I for one can not see myself giving up vaping, i enjoy it as a hobby, as much as i enjoy the health benefits, and the financial benefits.
    So do you plan to quit vaping???

2. DogMan

DogMan Butler

I'd like too. Would probably take new technology. Maybe if they make nrt that actually works.

I hate the dependence I have on vaping

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

embee and Steve Thomas like this.
  3. Steve Thomas

But then you would have to hunt for NRTCAFE.COM so you could continue on forums

margyb likes this.
  4. DogMan

DogMan Butler

there are forums for everything, footy, gardening, plenty out there outside vaping

emu and Steve Thomas like this.
  5. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

6. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

At first that was my intention - These days I doubt it, just because I love it. I wont say never about anything in my life because life is a ever changing game.

emu, Steve Thomas and DogMan like this.
  7. embee

embee Senior Member U.S. Correspondent

I think about it occasionally, but I enjoy it too much so I doubt I'll be giving it up any time soon. If not for vaping, I'm pretty sure I'd start smoking again. I believe I'm addicted to the action of smoking/vaping more than nicotine.

margyb, Aussie, Pippi and 3 others like this.
  8. Pufnstuf

Pufnstuf Carto Connoisseur

My intention has always been to stop vaping at some stage. I have been reducing my nic from when I started and I am about to reduce it again. I will always keep a number of devices as I believe that I still might enjoy an occasional vape once I do stop. I might even just enjoy a vape at home in the evenings .................................I do want to stop at work and when I am in my car.

9. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I believe the research which says that if you started smoking young and smoked for a long time there are changes in the brain which make it difficult to almost impossible to stop smoking. Now I'm vaping I can't be bothered even trying to give up nicotine.

Maggie, margyb, Steve Thomas and 3 others like this.
  10. emu

emu Banned

My goal is to be nicotine addiction free, I'm down to 9mg now and for me vaping is a gateway to freedom.
    No more cravings and to be released from the mercy of suppliers will be my best achievement.

Pufnstuf and DogMan like this.
  11. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

No.
    I've weaned off nicotine twice using vaping. And both times made a conscious, unpressured decision to restart. I am convinced that nic is necessary to my psychological well being. Te choice between SSRI's and nic is an easy one, and vaping is the most attractive delivery system.

12. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Yes, that is very true - I haven't consciously tried to give up nicotine but these days I am mostly down to around 6mg. My life is so much better and I am really proud of myself for giving up smoking after nearly 40yrs of sucking on those Death Sticks.

margyb, Steve Thomas, Judith and 3 others like this.
  13. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I had made a concious decision that I wouldn't be quitting smoking, I weighed it up and decided it was worth the risk. Since I accidentally switched to vaping (far less risk) I have no intention of stopping. But stranger things have happened.

margyb, Pippi, emu and 2 others like this.
  14. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

Not at the moment, but then I never intended to give up smoking. I believe at the moment I'm still at risk of smoking if I gave up vaping but how I will feel 5 years down the track I don't know.

15. BakerB

BakerB Member

If it becomes important - yes, but right now its not. Having just hit my 4 year anniversary of not smoking, it was clear that switching to vaping from smoking was way more important than wanting to give up vaping too, both for my body and my wallet.

There is no research I have read that has convinced me that vaping is a high risk activity, not even a medium risk activity. I'd say my habit of staying alive and aging is a higher risk activity than vaping, but there's bugger all I can do about that )

When I met my wife 11 years ago she was a light smoker and by being around me she turned into a much heavier smoker. Now she is a light smoker again (2 or 3 cigs a day), made me realise that my smoking wasn't only affecting me.

The biggest risk for ex-smokers like me is relapse and I'm guessing that the smokers that really enjoyed smoking (like me) and gave up unassisted/nrt are at greatest risk of relapse. Guarding against relapse is (again) more important than giving up vaping. Give up vaping and the risk of relapse will shoot up. Seeing my kid hit 21 is more important than giving up vaping. I could go on.

TLDR : Is giving up vaping more important than the potential of you starting smoking again ?

Pippi, margyb, Jennifer and 3 others like this.
  16. Steve Thomas

I agree. Without vaping it is more than likely if not certain i would smoke again.:(

DogMan, Pippi and emu like this.
  17. Head in the Clouds

Head in the Clouds Senior Member

I couldn't see myself giving up vaping... The very thought of it would bring on the sweats I reckon!

Pippi and emu like this.
  18. EGG2015

EGG2015 Member

Well its still early days for me but....i didnt start vaping to quit at all.

It was finacially motivated completely. The really interesting thing is i have quit smoking and right now dont feel like i will.

I am most certainly addicated to smoking and over the years in many much more harmful ways. I do get cravings but its hard to say if its the nic or just the act of it.

Vaping is truly an amazing thing for me. It is certainly going to be a hobby. But ive come to terms with that already

Pippi, Jennifer and emu like this.
  19. EGG2015

EGG2015 Member

Evic mini is finally here....its amazing .

Need better batteries tho lol

Pippi, emu and Jennifer like this.
  20. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

I didn't quit smoking, so much as upgraded to vaping. While smoking had a deleterious result to my health, my motivation to upgrade was purely (OK 97%) financially motivated.

My initial nic. levels were 33 mg in simple vision spinners, and with more advanced equipment I now vape at 12 mg (though my 'stealth vape' is 20 mg). I have no intention of dropping them any further as I feel the healthful aspects of nicotine outweigh the unhealthy aspects, my reason for dropping down was simply that the better equipment made the higher amount unnecessary (plus I want to stretch my nic. further - economics again!).
    All power to the people who want to use vaping as an exit to smoking, nicotine and the entire puffing action. :tiphat:
    .. But I will not be joining them. :vape: