1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

Speed steeping and PET (or other) plastic bottles.

Discussion in 'Research, Health and Legal' started by rupert, Oct 18, 2016.

1. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

This is an interesting read:

https://www.thequint.com/health-fit...pet-bottles-coca-cola-7up-sprite-mountain-dew

While skewed towards drink consumption, it draws parallels with our use of bottles - particularly speed heat induced steeping methods.

Interesting is the statement:
    "The tests recovered traces of heavy metals antimony, lead, chromium, cadmium and compound DEHP or Di(2-ethylhexyl). The tests also found that the extent of leaching also increased with a rise in the room temperature."

Thoughts?

Maria likes this.
  2. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

Not a positive find, :hmmm: got me thinking maybe it will be best to buy glass bottles

i dont speed steep any more as per say but after mixing i do give them a hot water bath to help mix them, it cant be good heating the bottles then shaking the hell out of them who knows what has hoped a ride on a flavor molecule

this has definitely made me think twice befor heating juice in the bottles now thanks for that rupert :thumbup: grate bit of info

rupert likes this.
  3. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Cheers Wanda.

I think that part of the issue here may be that the plastic production (in asia in this case) is sub par and has allowed heavy metals etc to get into the bottle structure.
    However, given that most of the bottles we use are made in asia, we are likely to encounter the same issues.

I would avoid heat steeping if its not in glass (in fact, I just don't do it, but thats mainly because I like slow and steady ;) )

It is another reason I have started sourcing my plastic bottles in HDPE and from an Aussie manufacturer.

Pippi likes this.
  4. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

Good point as i got mine from fasttech, and got some coming from gearbest as well.
    might just use them for out and about trips only and store and make my juice in glass ones from now on, im a bit lazy and make it straight in to the bottles, i cant be bothered useing beakers and jugs and fluffers to much cleaning for my likeing

rupert likes this.
  5. emu

emu Banned

Yeah I'm in the process of changing to glass as well, any elimination of risk is a good thing.

rupert likes this.