Starter kit killer!!!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by sonnen, Jul 22, 2015.

1. sonnen

sonnen Member

Just found this...

I wish something like this was around when i started vaping.
    For US$35 it looks ideal for a noob.

Danyel, Judith, Gasman and 2 others like this.
  2. Admin

Admin Senior Member

God newbies have got it so easy these days. I started on 510s with atomisers and cartidges which I filled with fish tank filter material. Then I move onto Stardust clearos which were state-of-the-art at the time, but leaked constantly and gave dry hits more often than not. Now newbies can start off on a sub ohm kit for $40? Seriously? Hope they appreciate the suffering us old timers went through to break ground for them.

Dyanne, xusia, Judith and 4 others like this.
  3. wedgtail

wedgtail Member

So true rose ,thats progress

4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Wow for the price of a lot of Clearo tanks alone, you can get a full starter kit!

I wish Eleaf would have given newbies a 1.2 ohm coil option too though, I really think 0.3 ohm only is too low for most newbies.

5. Northerner

Northerner Member

Waaay too low. I need 6 beers before I'll consider hitting something like that.

Gasman likes this.
  6. Admin

Admin Senior Member

I've gone from being an occasional subohmer to a regular one now I've got a Triton. I just move the AFC around from time to time, so I can switch between mouth to lung for flavour and direct lung inhale for clouds. Even my beloved mini nautilus/iStick setup is unemployed most of the time now.

7. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

mods were around when i started, but i still bought evods. Coming fresh off the stinkies, i wasn't comfortable holding the phallic mods

not sure what i would recommend to a newbie now, nautilus seem to be backed around multiple forums for a ciggie like draw and toke, NFI what mod i would suggest, maybe istick 30

8. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

It seems every time I go on my IPad another mod or subtank has been or is soon to be released. Mind you Im not complaining but I do have to curb my urges or I'll be in deep poo poo!

9. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

wromg thread

10. Noe

Yes but you are an experienced vaper, I don't see how most newbies are going to want to subohm.
    Sure there are more newbies that "want to blow clouds" than there were before but everything coming out of China now seems to be gear toward them & isn't including the other 80-90% of ex-smokers that just want something that is simple & works.

I still believe my "Noe's List" buying guide is all that most newbies need or want, at least initially.
    Evod batts, BC clearo, nic juice at the level comfortable for the new vaper & a charger. It's a proven & reliable kit, which has helped many newbies transition from smoking to vaping.

Sub ohm gear is something newbies can get into after they are comfortable with vaping IMO, the first objective should be to STOP SMOKING, not blow clouds.

11. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

That is my opinion too. For what it is worth that kit shown in the OP, whilst great value, just doesn't suit first time vapers.

Browny and Noe like this.
  12. Noe

Completely agree & since the highest ohm coils available for it are 0.5ohm, it isn't something I'd recommend for a newbie.
    For a newbie transitioning from an Evod set up, like in "Noe's list" to something more powerful, maybe but it's still very low ohm even then, possibly there should be a step in between the 1st kit & that device in the video.

DaveJ likes this.
  13. sonnen

sonnen Member

Valid points i agree..
    But this device seems to have a bunch of protection built in that you won't find on ego twists etc.
    I run my billow 2 at 45 watts on a 0.4 ohm coil and have a few noobs try it with no problems.
    Just sayin'

14. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Fair comment too.

I have a Kanger subtank - with the 1.2 premade coils on a regulated device set to 20 watts. By modern standards hardly anything too radical. But I can't get use to the type of draw. WAY to airy and certainly not anything like a smoke use to be - but for a lung hit it works great. Wind down the air and then the draw is tighter for MTL, but then the vapor is thin. I know lots say it works for new vapers, but I certainly do not find it so.... Or maybe I just ain't doing it right. *shrug*

Browny likes this.
  15. sonnen

sonnen Member

Yeah i recall that the draw was one of the hardest things to get used to when starting out.
    If the afc can be choked down enough i still think this beats a lot of starter kits out there.
    If it came with an RBA base, i'd grab one for myself.

16. Dr Attila Danko

Dr Attila Danko Senior Member

There are still plenty of dual users & one of the issues is getting nicotine delivery closer to the speed of cigarettes. It would be an interesting research question to compare the success of newbies on subohm gear compared with standard evods. One gives an experience closer to cigarettes and the other delivers nicotine faster. The ultimate goal is vaping being better than smoking in every way for everyone & perhaps the subohm trend is a step on the way there.

Broony, DogMan, DaveJ and 1 other person like this.
  17. Noe

Ok So when you are vaping on that, what strength nic & how much eliquid are you going through daily?

My worry is, that the nic is low strength & the juice consumption is high, am I right?

18. Noe

That would be fine if true but it more often than not isn't.
    Most vapers that Subohm use low strength nic, below 10mg, usually 2-6mg & vape higher volume of ejuice, in excess of 10ml per day.
    In other words, it's more of a trade off than a faster delivery of nicotine.

Personally, I have stuck at 24mg/ml, no matter what ohm coils I am using & vape the same amount (approx) of eliquid as I always have per day.
    When using a subohm atty, yes the nic delivery is faster, because the volume of juice consumed per puff is greater, so I need less puffs to get the same effect but we are talking about perhaps a ratio of 1:3, where 1 puff on a subohm atty is equal to 3 puffs or a 1.2ohm atty.
    In effect it works much like if you have a ham sandwich, you can eat it one of 2 ways, scoff it down & finish in 2 minutes or take your time, chew & take 6 minutes, either way you are still consuming the same amount of ham sandwich.
    However, done the other way, like most vapers that subohm, you are eating more bread & less ham, whilst scoffing it down.

It's not the nicotine that is the problem with eliquid, it's the flavors, the more flavored eliquid you consume the greater the risk. If we forget about DA & AP for the moment, just considering the other multitude of chemicals that make up flavorings & consider they have not been tested for inhalation & that we don't know if they are safe or not, then you start to get the picture.
    We know about DA & AP, which are quite common flavoring chemicals in food, how many other potentially harmful flavoring chemicals are there that we don't yet know about?

I'm not trying to scare people but facts are facts, Dr Farsolinos advocates that we use higher nicotine & less eliquid, the same as I have been doing for years, just that now I have a well respected scientist to point to who agrees with me.
    Subohming with high nic strength takes a bit of getting used to, while subohming with virtually no nic strength is much easier, which is why people subohm that way but IMO they are putting themselves at greater risk & it is not something we should be encouraging newbies to do.

19. Big O

Big O Member

What if your sub ohming unflavoured? Just nicotine/PG/VG? Would that make a difference?

20. Dr Attila Danko

Dr Attila Danko Senior Member

You are absolutely right Noe that the idea that reducing nic levels in fluid is somehow safer is a fallacy, the common acceptance of which frustrates me too, and it is scientifically better to consume less liquid for the same nic. However, we are talking about something like 99.1% safer than smoking or 99% safer than smoking. So to me the question is not so much about safety, but about effectiveness. And vaping is not yet as effective as it should be. Of course, if someone can successfully and happily transition using higher nic and lower volume on a lower wattage device that is the safest way to do so. But if they need to subohm in order to quit completely then that is always going to be better than smoking. And yes, I agree, we should encourage people to use higher nic, not lower nic. I don't think we really disagree much at all. I actually had this very same discussion with Farsalinos personally in Warsaw.

Dyanne and Noe like this.