SubTank Mini review

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Noe, Jun 3, 2015.

1. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

so much for the friendly forum

2. Admin

Admin Senior Member

Stay on topic guys. This is a worthwhile thread.

DaveJ, Judith and Jennifer like this.
  3. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Great review Noe, could you expand on your comment on PEEK insulaters. I have a sub tank mini and love it. Are the insulaters an upgrade to solve a problem I'm unaware of?
    Thanx

4. fozz3d

fozz3d New Member

I've been using the Subtank Mini for about 3 weeks now. Mine leaked within the first few days. But every time I fill the tank up, I pull the coil off and wash out the air port out then dry it with a hair dryer, hasn't leaked since.
    The first few days of using it, I was on number 2 on the airflow, 1 being the tightest and 3 being wide open. Been told by a couple of people, that having it on number 1 or 2 creates a vacuum on the air chamber and sucks juice down, hence the leaking. Wide open shouldn't be a problem, which I am trying out now, still hasn't leaked, but OCD still kicks in and I still clean the air port out with every fill.

5. Browny

Browny Senior Member

I use the middle airflow size and must be lucky as I've had not a single gurgle or leak in the rough 2-3 months I've had it.

I've become lazy since getting it too as I used to rinse clearos after every tank but now it's usually just weekends if I remember.

6. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Sub tanks are probably designed for higher VG liquids (thicker) too so if your liquid has a high PG ratio (thinner liquid) then it is probably more likely to leak. It sound like a lot of trouble to go through every time you fill your tank. The reality is too that most tanks leak if they are in the mood which is one of the reasons we keep vaper towel handy. :) Still cleaner than having dirty ashtrays around for me. @Noe or others on the forum would be able to give you useful info than me about reasons for leaks but make sure the coil is snuggly tightened too.

Browny, DaveJ and DogMan like this.
  7. fozz3d

fozz3d New Member

I love the fact I can wake up in the morning and not smelling like an ashtray and able to breathe better! I use 50/50 ratio with zero nic, I can get 100% VG but I've read around it sacrifices flavour, is that true?

I use to have a vaper towel since it started leaking, but now I have a soft Oakley Sunglass pouch I keep it in now, also with OCD, I don't mind cleaning it every fill, then I know its clean!

DaveJ and Judith like this.
  8. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I usually use 50/50 too. VG does mute flavour for me but many people prefer higher VG for more clouds and a softer vape (less throat hit) and the only way to find out what you like is to experiment. It's all part of the fun of vaping.

It's fairly unusual for people to stop smoking without nicotine but not unheard of so well done. It should be easy for you to stop vaping when you get sick of it and the mess.

Browny, margyb, DaveJ and 1 other person like this.
  9. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Yes. I know I couldn't have done that. Kudos to Fozz3d for that achievement.

On topic - I've a Sub-tank plus in sorta "part time" use. A few tokes per day. It has never leaked, but then I couldn't get it to work right for me for MTL use either. So it is set wide open for the very occasional lungie when the urge strikes. In saying that - the 7 ml tank has lasted me a coupla weeks so far without needing topping up. Not leaked a drop despite frequently just sitting there.

Judith likes this.
  10. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Vaper towel, is what "normal people" would call paper towel, the stuff used (usually) in kitchens, vapers call it vaper towel because it is so useful for juice spills etc.

Yes higher VG = less flavor, in the same device with a higher PG ratio, you will get better flavor than you would with a higher VG ratio.

Your method of preventing leakage is certainly interesting but seems like too much trouble to me, hairdryer on the coil etc.
    Personally, I just filled the tank & put the base back on upside down, then gave a few dry pulls on the tank to equalise the pressure, while it was still upside down, invert & it was fine most times. If it wasn't I'd know right away, since I'd vape on it immediately, if it was gurgley I'd vape through the gurgle & it'd be good to go.

11. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Don't you get juice in your mouth doing that?

12. Noe

No because any juice in the chimney section, will already be on the desk/table, since when filling the ST mini you can put the tank down to fill, while upside down. A tissue to clean out the DT 510 opening will get rid of any excess, which generally isn't needed IME.
    At most you may get a few droplets of liquid, not even equal to 1 drop, normally.
    If the coil is flooded, then it's possible you may get juice in the mouth but vaper towel is good for cleaning that up too :)

13. Noe

Wow I missed this question, sorry about the late reply.

PEEK is a high temperature resistant plastic, the original insulators in the Subtanks & Mini were not PEEK & some people could taste a bit of plasticy taste in their vape at high watts/temps, so Kanger upgraded the insulators to PEEK.

Aqualung and DaveJ like this.
  14. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Thanks Noe, never got that taste, so maybe I have PEEK, or I dont vape hot enough for it to be relevant.

Noe and DaveJ like this.
  15. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I regularly use the nano and mini subtanks and have found them both to be excellent. Currently using the vertical 0.5 ohm coil and enjoying that very much. Mine have not oozed juice one bit and obviously I hope they don't start. I have not used the rba section in the mini yet but once this coil fails I'm going to give it a go. The pleasing thing is as time progresses I am dropping my nic level in any new mixes and still enjoying the vape.

16. Noe

Just be careful with dropping your nic level(strength).
    Nicotine is not the riskiest component in eliquids for your health, flavourings are by far the higher risk factor, that said the risk is still magnitudes lower than with smoking.

The thing is if you are lowering your nicotine but inhaling more vapor, ie. consuming more liquid, on a daily basis than you were previously with a higher strength nicotine liquid, then you are increasing your health risk.

Gasman likes this.
  17. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Fair comment Noe, I see what you're saying. I was vaping at 32 mg and was told that was far too high and I ran the risk of future heart problems. I am also worried that eventually we won't be able to import nic at all and if I continued at the strength without trying to drop vaping would not work and I would return to smoking. I would fight it tooth and nail but I don't trust my willpower going on past efforts. So my strategy is to gradually mix with less nic and compensate with better gear. I intend to try another product that FA UK sell called LIquido Zero but due to always wanting another mod or tank my budget hasn't stretched to it yet. I emailed FA UK and suggested that FA Australia should sell it considering we can't buy nic internally in the country and he said he would contact them, but last time I looked it's still not on their site. I have tried their bite extra which I found quite good but of course if vaping is completely 'outlawed' then were stuffed anyway. I think part of my shinyitis is stockpiling due to the fear of vapeaggedon. I do agree with what you state and do think about it trying to rotate with a ego/ clearo combination and a mod/ subtank combination in an attempt to cut my nic down and not to overdo it. I'd be lying if I said my juice consumption has not increased but when I have read what some are using in a day I tell myself I'm not that bad,probably deluding myself but ......

18. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Who told you that you risk future heart problems with nicotine? Dr Farsalinos is a cardiologist and he doesn't seem to be concerned about it.

Noe and DaveJ like this.
  19. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

It was actually a vendor but Im sorry I'd rather not name the company. Im not into name and shame unless Im really pissed off with a person or company. I do believe in praise when good customer service has been given and if this is wrong I honestly dont think there was any alterior motive.To be honest it made sense to me as I thought nicotine had the effect of speeding your heart rate up but I am not in the least bit medically minded so that could well be wrong.

20. Noe

I agree with Moonbeam, there should not be a problem at that strength, I know vapers that use 48mg.
    If you are vaping more liquid to compensate, you are probably taking in the same amount of nicotine, because your body knows how much it wants.

Judith likes this.