SXK Kayfun Prime Clone

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Gasman, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't got or even ordered one but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it.
    I definitely don't mean opinions on clones but this particular tank.

I've found a few reviews on the original but only a couple on this clone and they all are favourable.

From what I can tell it could beat both the berserker and the siren 2.
    It's reported to be a MTL tank only so might not appeal to some.

How about you Pippi given you're now building coils etc ...or anyone else?

Pippi likes this.
  2. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Hi Gassy, I have heard great things about the authentic in the mouth to lung FB groups I belong to - I will ask about the clone as I have no idea but yes tempting...........

DogMan and Gasman like this.
  3. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I think it was this KF version (original) that I watched a review of & they guy didn't like it as much as previous versions of the KF, because it was too restictive.
    Definitely for MTL vapers & not even good for restrictive lung hits, is what he said, if it's the same KF.

Gasman likes this.
  4. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

The way I understand the different manufacturers versions and designs is that Svoemesto released the V5 in an attempt to entice the DTL market to their products presumably because they saw the way a lot of vapers were going.

Conversely due to this their true customer base,being MTL vapers, were a little unhappy about the tank saying it wasn't a true Kayfun and what the company was known for. Therefore the Prime was designed and released supposedly utalising design features from the V5 but altered for the MTL market.

Probably wrong but that's my take on it anyway.

I'm not sure personally as I bought a V3 mini (clone) which was great until the glass broke.
    I used it happily for a couple of weeks but after rebuilding it I noticed the next day that the glass had a hairline crack in it.
    Buggerty,buggerty,poop,poop I thought.
    Or at least that's the censored version of my reaction.

I know that I hadn't dropped or abused it in any way so put it down to the design and my heavy handness.
    Seeing as this is the same design it's putting me off slightly but you do get a SS tank with this so not the end of the world if this one cracks.
    At the end of the day it's a clone and I can't expect top notch machining and parts.

But the more I research the Prime and its clones it's beginning to grow on me.

Hoping I've linked the right one but this should be a review from Vape Don't Smoke where he does bit of a comparison to the original and highlights his pros and cons.

Noe, Pippi and DogMan like this.
  5. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Sorry Pippi I should have replied to you first.
    I apologise for not being a gentleman.
    Well that and the fact that I had an immediate thought when I read Noes post!

I was meaning to ask you if any of these new MTL rebuildables are appealing to you and how the coil building etc was going?

Is the Nautilus still your go to atty?

Pippi and DogMan like this.
  6. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

I have the Mini V3 version I got from fasttech and it's great. The SXK is one of the better clones too. The only Issue I have is the small deck, makes it tough to build unless you use a hands-free table magnifier, or, you have great eyesight. Kayfuns are superb for MTL flavour, as are the Hurricane's.

Noe, Pippi, Gasman and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

The coil building etc 'seemed' easy enough after watching the review above but quite honestly without my little head mounted magnifying glasses I wouldn't be able to build bugger all.
    My eyesight like the rest of me has deteriorated as I've advanced in years.

My family call me The Mad Professor when I'm building due to the sight in front of them.

It's not pretty but there again it never was.

Pippi and Charles Vaper like this.
  8. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Are you interested in kayfuns for the flavour aspect, or just a good MTL tank?

Gasman and Pippi like this.
  9. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Ta Gassy, I still use my mini Nautilus's daily - they were popped away for a little while but they are back on my mini Provari's as they are a perfect match and I still love them.
    I use Vika tanks or kabukis on all my other Provari's which also take the Nauti coils.
    I do have a authentic Kayfun but confess the filling is a pain. Did buy a rebuildable from VV to try for my Pv3 - cost me $35 but didn't like it. Tez also gave me a brand new Doggy style atty - but I had a bit of trouble with it and broke the orings ( going to try again though as everyone says how good they are and I am sure orings can be found in my stash)
    Dogman has given me heaps of Attys for my Squonker and I am fine building for them. So far I like the Narnia and Hadaly best :)
    My biggest problem with RBA's is that most are too ugly for the Provari family and the pretty ones I like are a small fortune and made in Europe - I cant and wont spend over $200 on an Atty :rolleyes:
    Ps, checked and this prime clone is getting great feedback :)

Noe and Gasman like this.
  10. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Got it right this time and I'm sure Charles won't be offended.

Like the very vast majority of modern tanks the Prime is top fill so there's no stuffing around with that rediculously small screw.
    Do you think the Prime or the Siren 2 looks ugly as I'm thinking you could like either?

Obviously I don't own a Prime (yet!) but am currently testing the Siren which I've been happy with to date.
    As I've posted now to the point of boring people it's certainly a MTL tank and am guessing the Prime would be very similar.

The Siren is a reasonable size in 22mm too only being about 10mm higher than my Vika clone.
    Without checking specifications I'm thinking the Prime could also be similar in size to the Siren.

Sorry if I'm being nosy but to be honest I was thinking as you now build you might have tried one of these out.

Tell me to sod off and mind my own business if you want!

Pippi likes this.
  11. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Probably more so for the flavour as I've found during my recent RTA extravaganza I've been enjoying them more in their more open settings. Not wide open but probably just over half if that makes sense.

I don't enjoy being able to breathe through an atty but rather a more open MTL.

Charles Vaper and Pippi like this.
  12. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Lol - its cool Mr sticky beak - I think maybe in the new year I might try the prime but not the siren as it just doesn't appeal to me to be honest.
    Top fill is not something I care about really - the Vikas, Kabukis and Mini Nauti's are 100% leak proof for me and they are all bottom fill.
    some of the newer things on the market seem quite leaky :hmmm:

Gasman likes this.
  13. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I can say the berserker weeped on me after filling along with a bit of gurgling but it very soon disappeared.
    The Siren 2 has not had any such problems whatsoever after three refills and subsequent use.
    Could be my fault but I can only state what I've experienced.

I've had a little unexpected work this week resulting in a little extra to the budget which may or may not be heading to China tomorrow so I'll let you know about the Prime.

I know I'm pushing my luck with management to the point of being beaten severely but it's for the good of mankind you know.

P.S.
    My sticky beak will now retract.

14. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Ha, well it will be good to hear your thoughts on it Gassy - if you go ahead and risk life and limb :)

Gasman likes this.
  15. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

My Prime clone arrived today.

[​IMG]

As can be seen from the picture above it has no markings whatsoever and is in plain boxes, which differs from the review.
    Personally I don't care but just thought I'd mention it.

[​IMG]

As I've done before a picture of it on top of an Istick 30w for a size comparison.

[​IMG]

It's very similar in size to the Siren 2ml which I suppose makes sense considering it's also a 2ml.
    Again,definitely a MTL and appears of good quality considering it's a clone.
    The deck does look a bit smaller but not minuscule.

Haven't had time to play with it and won't until the weekend but looking good.

Pippi likes this.
  16. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I built the SXK Prime clone this morning and am currently using it with one of the 0.8 nichrome coils from FT.
    I appreciate the Istick 30W is probably not the ideal mod for it but I'm simply using up the battery so I can recharge it.
    I find the Istick good for work as a stealthy little pocket friendly device.
    Currently vaping it at 3.9v but as I'm using a NET I haven't played around with it too much. I'm enjoying it so that will do me.
    Ultimately I'm explaining my opinions of the RTA anyway so I doubt if the mod will offend!

[​IMG]

The coil came out to exactly 0.8 ohms but I did pinch it together to get it to sit better under the screws.
    This time I actually did put a NET straight into it and it's vaping very nicely.

I possibly might have overdone the wicking a bit but this could also have been my use of the juice flow control.
    Initially I did on one or two occasions get the slightest hint of a less than flavoursome taste but I must admit it seems to have settled down now after about 1ml of juice.
    I'm not a lover of this type of juice flow control as I find it a little temperamental in actual use but as I mentioned above all good for a while now and it's delivering excellent flavour.
    In saying that when I rebuild it I may just try slightly less wick and see if it makes any difference.

Not the slightest hint of any leaking and I do like the afc control.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apologies for the absolutely shocking picture quality but I was attempting to show the afc control and how its indicated. I tried to enhance the picture and the results speak for themselves.
    Deplorable.

Basically you lift up the bottom ring to expose your desired preference ranging from 1 to 6 holes. Again I'm afraid I can't say what diameter these holes are but obviously the 1 hole is the tightest draw and the 6 holes the widest.
    The bottom ring and the base of the deck are hexagon shaped and locate perfectly.

This leads me to a point that surprised me being that personally I find the single hole the best MTL experience. I'm certainly not saying that the 2 or 3 holes are unusable but my preference is the single hole which I find to be perfect.
    I'm using the supplied driptip and not experiencing any problems with it whatsoever.

I would say that the build quality is excellent but I've found that if you wind out the juice flow control too much the tank becomes a bit wobbly. This may be "a thing " with the original but without googling it I don't know.

All in all (so far anyway) I'm glad I bought it and am very happy with the vape its delivering.

Anybody who is looking for a cheap MTL RTA that works may want to watch a few reviews and form their own opinion.

I'll give it a week or so and post my final thoughts.
    I actually thought that I might post my favorites out of the Siren 2, berserker and this one in a simple numerical form.

17. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Just refilled the Prime for the third time and I'm enjoying it.
    I've pushed it up a bit to 18w (approximately 3.8v) and it's going just fine but doubt if I'll like it much higher.

The vape is just balancing on the too hot for me verge.

No leaking at all and a continuous dense and flavoursome taste with no more hints of a dry hit since my initial concerns.

Very early but I'm definitely pleased to date.

:thumbup::thumbup:

A couple of those emoji things to reiterate.

I've only just noticed I mentioned that I upped the power to 18w ,which I did ,and it's showing 3.8v on my Coolfire 4.
    Whereas yesterday I was using the Istick 30w and although it was showing the same ohms it was reading the voltage higher at a lower wattage setting?

Possibly down to the chips in the different mods but either way it's definitely a warmer vape currently.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Pippi likes this.
  18. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

After using the Prime clone for s week now I'm going to give my opinions on it.

I wanted to like this tank more than the Siren 2 for different reasons but unfortunately I don't. I'm not going to lie and say I've enjoyed it equally but in saying that I still think it's good and will certainly keep using it.

For me the main let down has been the JFC which I thought it might be. I simply don't like this form of JFC and have proved to myself that with this clone it doesn't work properly.

I was running a NET through it and decided once that had finished that I'd run a little experiment and put another tobacco in. Unfortunately after a few refills it started weeping from the AFC. Not a full on leak but a definite weep and enough to be a PITA. This weeping immediately stops after a couple of Vapes but it's there for me anyway.
    I vaped the NET down to almost nothing going to the extent of bordering on a dry hit and refilled with the other tobacco which immediately came through in the next vape with the JFC still wound right down and supposedly turned off.
    After each refill I found that it was best to take a few Vapes with the JFC still off to use any juice that had flooded the deck. Once this was done it continued to vape perfectly with no subsequent leaking.

I also found that personally I have to use the tank with the JFC fully open which makes the tank a little unsteady on its feet. In other words the 510 is screwed in securely but the tank itself wobbles a bit.

I've been using a 50 PG/50VG juice and honestly don't think I could have put any more wick in without asking for a dry hit. But this could not be true and open to some experimentation.

That being said I've enjoyed using it once I settled on my personal preferences and it definitely delivers on flavour so I still believe it's a good buy for anybody looking for a MTL RTA.

Below I'm going to list my personal choices on the three MTL tanks I bought recently but I'm not going to list every pro or con as I've already covered them individually.

1/ The Siren 2 (2ml variant) is my favourite delivering on every aspect of flavour and usability. The deck is also very easy to build on. It actually exceeded my expectations and I would consider getting another.
    2/ The SXK clone Prime delivers on flavour in spades but I believe has issues with the JFC which could be user error on my part but none the less I experienced them. The deck is a little more fiddly to build on but not rediculous. As mentioned I'm happy with using it but I'm not going to lie and state I rate it equally with the Siren.
    3/ The Vandy Vape Berserker does what it says on the box but I found the flavour was nothing spectacular and again it weeped upon refilling. The deck is probably the easiest of the three to build on but it's also 24mm which is not my personal preference. This one also gives more options out of the box and I do like the locking nut idea but all of that doesn't make up from what I experienced with the tank.

Of course the Prime is only a clone so perhaps I'm doing the original a grave injustice but as I'm not rolling in $50 notes I'll probably never know. I've often seen reviewers suggest that a decent clone could be bought before splashing out on the original to help see if you're prepared to part with your hard earned.
    It could be said that therein lies the problem with clones as its not an exact replica of the original designers intent and of course by buying a clone you're not contributing back for his/ her time and any new bit of merchandise in the pipeline.
    So I just wanted to highlight my opinion is of the clone that I have only but don't want to start a **** fight.

Now that everyone is bored to the point of frustration I shall leave it there.