1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Tasmania is going to be regulating personal vapourisers as tobacco products

Discussion in 'Tasmania' started by vapetrail, Aug 9, 2017.

1. vapetrail

vapetrail New Member

margyb likes this.
  2. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

:mad::wall:

margyb likes this.
  3. Rayjay

Rayjay Member

Read this and yes that has been on the cards in many states, it is basically to protect the sale of vapes to minors, they are not calling vapes a tobacco product but a smoking product.....by default also no smoking signs will apply to vapers. So back to square one. Technically if vapes contain Nicotine derived from tobacco, then they are in a remote way a vaporising smoking product as you inhale it the same as stinkies. This will also pave the way for tobacconists to sell vapes and the govt to tax vapes the same as smokes. :mad:

margyb likes this.
  4. Vapeman

Vapeman New Member

Why are they doing this? This is a bad idea!

5. Rayjay

Rayjay Member

From what I can gleen it is to allow BT to put vape products into their shops, and to force vape vendors to pay the same licensing fees as tobacco shops pay. Its all to do with revenue raising be it for state of federal coffers. If this legislation is approved in one nanny state, the other states will follow suit. Then the Feds IMHO will look at this and say:

"Hey Honourable Members, it's a smoking product and should it not have the same excise as tobacco cigarettes"

We will be in the same shite pile financially when we were smoking stinkies.

Remember Tobacco Cigarettes earned the treasury be it state or federal $Billions, vapes earn them sweet nothing bar GST. Tobacco Harm Reduction....sorry folks its B.S. If this goes through yes there will be tobacco harm reduction but it will also mean wallet or purse reduction as well. We the smoker come vaper will be screwed over yet again. I certainly can see this writing on the wall.

6. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

Farking fools
    How are they ever going to reduce the smoking rate?
    or even know if vaping is helping smokers quit?
    all vapers will now be considered to be smokers again:wall::mad::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::mad:

"smoking product means either or both

of the following:

(a) any tobacco product;

(b) any personal vaporiser product;"

7. Christina Ballerina

Christina Ballerina Senior Member

8. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Excuse my stupidity but I have a question.

If vaping is to be deemed smoking then does it follow suit that liquid nicotine should be able to be legally sold in Australia?

I appreciate we're talking about greedy money grabbing halfwits but will it not appear to every man,woman (and voters) and their dogs that they want it all ways.

We don't want people to vape but we'll tax it the same as tobacco even though it's not tobacco but you still can't buy or possess nicotine.
    Coincidentally we don't want people to smoke but we're doing our best to make it as accessible as possible for them.
    We'll also continue to tax the s@@t out of it because we need the money.

Vape or smoke we don't care because we're continue to receive an almost unimaginable amount of tax.
    If you smoke you still have access to nicotine but if you make an informed adult choice and decide to switch to vaping because you believe as an adult tax payer it's safer you can't access that dangerous drug.

9. Rayjay

Rayjay Member

I am thinking that this sort of legislation is a prelude to legalisation nicotine vapes. What our asinine legislators are saying all be it currently for Tasmania (testing grounds as some mailanders consider Tasmainians stupid) that:

1. Ok we will legalise Nicotine in vapes fine.

2. We will put them in the same category as other recreational products like alcohol and currently tobacco cigarettes

3. Then once that is done, we will wack on the same excise tax on then as in point (2)

Now if we can get away with this in Tasmania, including the vendor licensing fees:cancan: then the Tasmanian Premier (Bill Hodgman :thumbsdown:may he rot in Hades)
    will present himself at the next Premiers meeting with Mr.Turn Bullshite, and crow what a clever boy I am. No doubt then, all the other Premiers even the stick in the mud Queensland:blonde: one, will pat him on the back and follow suite.

Vendors be they B&M or on line will be forced to pay the licensing fees currently around something like $2-3k p.a. not sure what a tobacco sellers licence is worth in each state; or be forced to close down. What the heck does the Govt. care, the vapes will be sold by every Tom, Dick and Harriet, that sells tobacco some say this is a wonderful idea as there are not many vendor B&M shops available especially in rural locals, from memory Tasmania had three not sure, one closed up and moved to Victoria. He now makes juice only. AFAIK there are now only two, one in a Hobart suburb and one somewhere in Launceston. With this crap there will be none.

Then, the Feds will instruct customs to ban all O/S vape and heaven forbid Nic Base imports and the leech blood suckers will have a monopoly. The leeches BT are licking their lips at this legislation.

One wonders how many $$$ they are willing to contribute to Tasmania's state elections to Tasmanian Libs <puke> Then again Labor ain't much better nor the Greens for that matter as all need $$$$ in their coffers be they treasury or electioneering funds. Its not rocket science what they are playing at. A simple, you can have your cake (Legal Nic Vapes and Juice) but it will be a bitter one to chew and swallow.:mad:

10. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

Rayjay and Noe like this.
  11. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

The puddle just got muddier.
    Living in NSW, this proposal looks draconian, but I guess if I was a W. Australian, it might appear moderately liberal.
    So, in Tas, vape can be sold since they don't look like tobacco products (requiring a separate definition) and are considered smoking products, but in WA, can't be sold because they do look like smoking tobacco products, but aren't.
    Crikey, shift over Alice, this tea party just got madder.

margyb, Noe and The Vaper like this.
  12. The Flavour Republic

The Flavour Republic Senior Member VCA Approved Vendor

well this can't be made law
    theres no tobacco and theres no smoke so theres no smoking product.

you can't just make smoke = aerosol or mist or steam, that's just making up stuff (lies)

"we've decided that paper cups now = gold, therefore in my hand i have $100,000 worth of GOLD, woohoo!"

and the current excise is a tobacco excise, not nicotine, not propylene glycol, not flavouring and not vegetable glycerin

13. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Still time to stock up on nic base, before the excise comes into law on it. Current vapers won't be much affected by this proposed legislation it seems but current smokers won't see any point in making the switch.
    I think I feel better about the WA laws in relation to vape products now, after hearing about the Tas proposal.
    If this goes into effect though, how are they going to add excise to mods & atties?
    My thought is that they can't & since ejuice containing nic is illegal to sell, then there is nothing to add excise to, unless they intend to allow ejuice with nic to be sold.

What I think this is really about is nothing to do with vaping as we think of it but rather about BTs HnB products. Someone has got into the govt's ear from BT, extolling the virtues of the IQOS etc claiming it as a vaporiser & being a BT product having no problem with it being taxed heavily. To think BT lobbyists haven't been in discussions with the Govt is pure fantasy, HnB allows the Govt. to collect taxes & excise, while looking like they are employing harm reduction strategies, it's a win/win for Govt & a win for BT.
    If, as I suspect, this is really what is happening with this proposed legislation, then I don't think we are any closer to getting ejuice containing nic to be made available to sell legally, BT certainly don't want competition.
    If this happens, then we will be no better than 3rd world countries that are effectively dictated to by BT, banning vaping & allowing sale of cancer sticks in every store.

14. Annie

Annie Hellraiser

I'll be the deals have already been done with the tobacco companies behind closed doors.

Rayjay likes this.
  15. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

I don't think its about excise. Just a knee jerk reaction to be seen to be managing an emerging 'problem'. Pretty sure the general (uninformed) public perceive the equivalency, so such legislative measures would seem unremarkable.

The whole excise stuff is a logic nightmare in any case. The Excise Act only covers goods produced or manufactured in Au. Tobacco products have excise applied under the Excise Equivalent Goods regulations, which allow imported goods to have it applied, on the basis that if they were produced here, they would be liable. But tobacco can't be produced here, because its illegal. But if it were, excise would be applied to imports. But it couldn't be, because its illegal to do so. Circularity ad nauseam.

This is like, I want your cake, and eat it too, and by the way, I want you to pay for it. Oh, and don't think about baking your own, cos I made that against the law.

Rayjay, Noe, Annie and 1 other person like this.
  16. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Regardless of the legal quagmire, the Govt. has no trouble raising tax (excise) on a pack of cancer sticks at every opportunity.
    Since IQOS etc use HnB tobacco sticks, it follows that the same taxes would be equally applied to the replacement sticks, giving the Govt its cash cow & making it look good in the process by allowing the sale of "Harm reduced alternatives".
    I am not convinced, however, that the IQOS is anywhere near as reduced in harm as vaping with ejuice, nor snus & snuff. All the evidence is not in for HnB but I have seen a study sugesting at least half of the damage caused by smoking would be caused by the IQOS, which in real terms would not be a significant enough reduction to prevent most of the smoking related diseases, IMO.

Rayjay likes this.
  17. Rayjay

Rayjay Member

In total agreement with the venerable @Noe Personally, I have enough mods and RDA 's and associated accessories including Nic, which fortunately I myself use very little of now, to last me till doomsday. (That in itself is not far off if Trump has his way) Glyc will always be available as it is used in other products. Nic, there may be, note I said maybe, import issues but clever people will no doubt find a way around it.