1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Tasmania is going to be regulating personal vapourisers as tobacco products

Discussion in 'Tasmania' started by vapetrail, Aug 9, 2017.

1. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

So sorry to hear this has finally happened
    Did the HD give you any documentation?
    Will you be keeping your shop?

Rayjay likes this.
  2. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Damn money grubbing bastards:mad:, Speciality B&M Shops have to pay rent, wages, electricity, phone, internet as well as other outgoings. Now they have to pay a licence fee and get nothing for their fee? Sweet F.A. This bull.....t about not being allowed to have a website or a FB page is even more bullsh....t Even Qld is not that pathetic and that is saying something. A vapes store that is in Qld whom I know not only advertises his products on his website with pictures of his products but his store address, contact phone numbers and business hours as well. In store he is not allowed to display his products but on the web he is free to do as he pleases.

The Dept of Health and Human Services wants to police this bull.....t yet no one polices the no smoking area outside the Royal Hobart Hospital.

Oh Sorry I forgot they want you to get sick from smoking, Doctors and Pharmaceutical companies get big bucks from your illness. Yet patients with non smoking related illness are hard pressed to find a bed.

How many Level 4l alerts have their been during this flue season, and for @margyb benefit it was known in the past as Code Yellow, but the nursing staff are not allowed to declare Code Yellow as the Minister for Health had to sign off on it, so they changed it to a Level 4 alert. A skunk by any other name still stinks like a skunk. Michael Ferguson MP is very aromatic and I am not talking about his after shave lotion either.:mad:

No wonder there are bugger all B&M stores in Tassie, I know there is one in Launceston, No Idea if he is going to stay open. The one is Belreive has vanished as did the one that used to be in Hobart CBD Elizabeth St., Everyone now will have to resort to mail order.

3. Katzmeow

Katzmeow New Member

I've tried to read the amendment, but have come away not understanding just what this means to me in practical terms as a vaper. I get the impression it means that if I couldn't smoke in a place, now I can't vape there, that vaping now = smoking.

I read a lot of stuff in there that relates to the sale of vaping products, but what I didn't get is what effect it on my buying & owning vaping materials.

Can I still import a 3 month personal supply of liquids containing nicotine? Am I still okay to import my vaping hardware from overseas? A few posts here talk about excise, does this mean I my vaping stuff will be held up in customs until I pay excise or is this just something people are assuming will be a later measure?

If caught in possession of nicotine-containing liquids am I at risk of being fined or imprisoned? How is a vaper supposed to know all this stuff unless they frequent forums such as this (and I don't usually)?

Anyone able to enlighten me on what this actually means to me?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Rayjay likes this.
  4. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

In simple terms the same as in any other state of Australia you can legally import the juice with Nicotine. Under various state laws if you are found in possession of it then you break the state law unless in Tasmania you are in possession of a poisions licence. No one in any state to my knowledge has been imprisoned. The worst that has happened is your vapes are confiscated. That is all I have read and that was in Qld if it contains nicotine.

Some states I think it's WA that prohibit the sale of vapes.

The new amendment in Tassie means that as I understand it that vaping is considered in the same light as smoking. This is irrespective of the fact if your vape contains nicotine or not.

However no one again to my knowledge has tested this legislation in a court of law in Tasmania.

To play it safe in Tassie just don't vape if there is a no smoking sign displayed.

Lol if I want a nic shot when in a no smoking area I use snuff in a snuff bullet. No one is any the wiser and there is no tell tale cloud of any description.

Katzmeow likes this.
  5. Katzmeow

Katzmeow New Member

Thanks Rayjay. So pretty much business as usual for me, as I usually respect the no smoking signs anyway - though I have gotten away with vaping in hospital a couple of times, wouldn't be able to do that now. Still, it's a worry that there is a risk of having my stuff confiscated or it being considered criminal.

Rayjay likes this.
  6. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

The likely hood of that happening in Tassie is very remote. Only like if you do something blatantly silly. Even some in state government levels of power whom I personally know vape nic. Tassie has a great shortage of people power in its law enforcement in all departments. Unless it's a major crime our enforcement agencies have better things to do with their time.

7. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

As to vaping in Hospitals pmsl. One should take a look at the main entrance of Royal Hobart Hospital. No smoking signs everywhere in the drive through. No sooner people come out the main doors they light up their stinkies whilst waiting for cabs or whatever......No Smoking signs not enforced and hospital security on the rare occasions that you see them do not give a shite.

I think you would be safe vaping there. Inside the Hospital I cannot comment but in a Private Hospital like the Calvary if you have a private room you can get away with vaping I had no problem vaping there.

Katzmeow likes this.
  8. Katzmeow

Katzmeow New Member

Thanks for the reassurances Rayjay. I guess I feel uncomfortable knowing I'm breaking the law. Bad enough the way some people look at me when I'm standing around in a car park or similar, like I'm doing illegal drugs - oh wait, I am! :sillygrin:

9. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

@Katzmeow Buddy, we all criminals, :rofl::rofl: I was at a restaurant the other day with my partner and decided to partake of some white caffeine snuff, this btw is zero nicotine. I left my snuff bullet at home and did it the old fashioned way. The looks I got :rofl::rofl: any one would think I was snorting C........

Did I care?

Not in the least, live your life friend, vape, snuff or whatever you do and be happy, life is too short to worry about fools.
    As to uneducated or ill informed public that more times than not choose to live in blissful ignorance bordering on stupidity its none of my concern. If people choose to ask me about my vaping or snuffing journey I am very happy to enlighten them and have done so on many an occasion. Arrogant and deliberately ignorant people I have no time for.

Noe and Katzmeow like this.
  10. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

I make a point to give them a big, broad smile as I raise up my mod in the motion of 'cheers!'.

In case it's not obvious, I don't give the first shite what they think of me. ;)

Katzmeow, Noe and Rayjay like this.