Tasmania is going to be regulating personal vapourisers as tobacco products

Discussion in 'Tasmania' started by vapetrail, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Katzmeow

Katzmeow New Member

Wow. Am looking forward to getting further updates on this.

Am curious as to whether any local GPs would write a prescription for nicotine.

Rayjay likes this.
  2. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

@Katzmeow

One has to convince them that under the act it is legal to do so. Not many in Tassie could be bothered as they themselves cannot understand the new regulations and the DHHS is brow beating them with B.S. If I read the act correctly.

I had one GP that would write a script and now she too has backed down until she can understand what the heck is going on.
    Doctors as you can appreciate have far more greater things to do than try to interpret muddy guide lines and lets face it the current ones are as clear as mud.
    She said until she did, she would not put her head in a noose and I do not blame her. Courtney at Nicopharm has told me she is meeting with her lawyers today to get a ruling on this as well. Interesting times ahead indeed.

The amendments it seems no one understands not even the DHHS themselves. All they keep harping at is "The Law is the Law" How it is interpreted is a matter for lawyers and magistrates. I alas am neither. However I do possess a legal prescription and I will definitely be interested to see if they dare to challenge it. I have kept the hard copy of the extract of the act and put it in my wallet if I am challenged.

As I mentioned before and with your corrections in a PM which I read there are only two B&M stores in Tassie and the DHHS enforcement officers of whom currently there are only two, are more interested in their compliance and I personally do not think they give two hoots about individual vapers.

The Vaper, vapetrail and Katzmeow like this.
  3. vapetrail

vapetrail Member

I think we need to move forward and fight harder for vapers rights in Tasmania and not let funded organisations tell us what to do any more. We need a voice here to balance the decision making powers.

Rayjay and Noe like this.
  4. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

@vapetrail I agree having done so on my own for close to 5 years. To what funded organisations do you allude?
    Like @Noe has said once a law is in place it is very hard to have the same repealed. AFAIK you are the only Tasmanian B&M vendor on this forum. The other that used to be in Belreive told me a long time ago that forums and the NNA AU were a waste of time. Now the shit has hit the fan in Tassie you want a Tasmanian lobby group. Hate to say it Lyn....too little to late.

5. Annie

Annie Hellraiser

Smokers don't pay more for health insurance, but they do pay more for life insurance.

DogMan likes this.
  6. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Thank You @Annie was not sure on that one, have not been to St Lukes to find out.

7. vapetrail

vapetrail Member

We got the License yesterday. We discussed the online marketing further with DHS, it's just no display of products on the website but we can have social media as long as products are not advertised on there which we haven't really done due to our own laziness. I admit I should have been more active in advocacy so this law didn't pass so easily and quickly, could be a little late now but we are going to put more effort into the legalisation of nicotine and for fair regulations on vaping devices in Tasmania. Tasmania is a small state with very few vendors so I hope us vapers can band together.

Katzmeow, margyb, Noe and 2 others like this.
  8. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Well done but what do you get for your licence fee? Nothing. Govt money grab.

Sent from Taptalk. Vape On & be happy. Live & Let Live Blessed Be!

vapetrail likes this.
  9. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

high smoking rates in tas too, so you need vape stores

Katzmeow and Rayjay like this.
  10. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Exactly, a license to sell electronic goods & flavorings mixed with ingredients found in liquid soap, bet mobile phone vendors & liquid soap vendors aren't being slugged a license fee...
    You're not selling nicotine, because that is unlawful, so I really see no need for a license, it's just another means for govt to extort revenue from smokers or in this case ex-smoker vapers.

The Vaper and Rayjay like this.
  11. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

@Noe paying the Govt Mafia extortion fees reminiscent of the US gangsters of the 20's . Actually Noe shop keeper's AFIK do pay some sort of business licence fee. Same question...what do they get for fees paid? S.F.A.!

vapetrail likes this.
  12. vapetrail

vapetrail Member

I think its bureaucracy and an aversion to change, other organisation saw there way of doing things such as increasing cigarette prices, plain packaging and having a help line worked and the only way to do things. Even though vaping devices is more effective, they would rather put a blindfold on because they didn't come up with that idea.

Rayjay likes this.
  13. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

No high taxes @vapetrail on vapes. Just GST. Simple economics.

14. Noe

Ok so I assume that a vaping vendor with a B&M store had to pay that same business license fee, now they have to pay an additional license fee (this is how I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong), so like I said they are being treated differently to other vendors selling electronic goods or soap products.

15. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

You are correct double fees Mafia extortion they get F.A. for their fee.@Noe

Noe likes this.
  16. Noe

Yes but any vape good licensing fee they impose upon you is indirectly coming out of vaper's pockets, so is another means of taking a bite from the "smoking cash cow".
    This license really only makes sense if you were allowed to sell nicotine, then I could see why a license was appropriate, the same as I can see why a liquor license is appropriate or a tobacco license. Selling electronics or products similar to liquid soap (ejuice minus nicotine) or flavorings etc is no different to what other vendors in other industries already sell, without being slugged a fee for a special license.

margyb and Rayjay like this.
  17. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Like I said double tax. Buy a drink at a pub you get hit with Gst and alcohol excise fee.@ Noe and the licence of the pub also has to pay for his liquor licence so in reality the end consumer pays tripple tax as the licence fee is also passed onto you the consumer that purchased the drink.

vapetrail and Noe like this.
  18. vapetrail

vapetrail Member

I think we should do a documentary in Australia about politics around vaping, would be very interesting to show it to the public.

19. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

vapetrail, Rayjay and The Vaper like this.
  20. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

What has truly amazed me is the fact that the writing has been on the wall for a considerable time as to various proposed legislation's when it comes to us vapers. We have been invited to write submissions and I might add I wrote one and so did my partner way back when the TGA fiasco was running and subsequently to every other inquiry that was running. I have also looked and read most of the published submissions and to my dismay saw very few from vendors be they B&M or online.

Why?

I spoke at the time to two vendors that were in the Hobart region one was in Elizabeth Street Hobart (now gone) and another that used to be in Belerive Tas., both told me it was a total waste of time as did my favourite supplier in Qld. They all said that these inquiries were just a political smoke screen to get us vapers off the politicians backs and they were vote raking to pretend that they were doing something and in their opinions, the vendors that is, there would be nothing done.

Well something has been done in Tasmania to the point of asinine stupidity. We Tasmanian's have the most idiotic regulations of any state in Australia and even Qld pales into insignificance. Once a regulation is in place it is almost mission impossible to get it repealed and neither the Libs or Labor give a moot about vapes as a Tobacco Harm reduction method. The Greens may or may not be in favour, depending which way the wind is blowing at the time of the elections and believing any politician is in my past experience a fool's errand.

Now that the regulations are in place or will be tomorrow, 29th Nov, poor Lilly is jumping up and down. The over vendor in Hobart seems to be quiet and I have not heard anything from him not that I am over interested in him as we have not spoken to each other since TGA times.
    Sorry if I sound a bit negative but as I see it Tasmanian vapers have missed the boat, and now are stranded with the biggest bull.....t vaping laws that I have ever had the misfortune to read.

On a brighter note I also spoke with the lovely lass that runs Nicopharm yesterday, she has told me that their directors had a meeting with their lawyers and yes their Nic juice with their doctor's prescription is legal in Tasmania. She also told me over the phone and I would love to see this in writing on their company letter head that any Tasmanian that orders Nicotine juice from them and gets pinned by our Gestapo that they will defend us. Any one care to try this? PMSL I am nic free now and enjoy vaping for the pleasure of it. When I do need nic I rather use snuff and no one is any the wiser. However I am tempted to test this. @vapetrail,

The Vaper likes this.