Tasmania is going to be regulating personal vapourisers as tobacco products

Discussion in 'Tasmania' started by vapetrail, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

As said they should just shoot the 2 legged bastards. Not seen a politician yet that I beleive or trust.

Sent from Taptalk. Vape On & be happy. Live & Let Live Blessed Be!

The Vaper likes this.
  2. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

A friend of mine had a discussion with DHHS in Tasmania and this is what was reported to me:

“The regulatory statement on DHHS website pertaining legislation in Tasmania is not law, just educational guide lines and they are not prosecuting anyone for noncompliance. The vendor in Tasmania that still displays his product pictures was notified but he chose not to follow the guide line.

No one will be taken to court over it. DHHS also said that a website constitutes a public place.

They also went on to say that liquid nicotine is a poison and in tobacco it is not a poison”

=========================================================================
    Liquid Nicotine is a posion? What sort of nicotine is then used in Nicorette sprays?
    Nicotine in Cigarettes is not a poison? What about all the other crap in them?
    Even our arch enemies the Cancer Council agrees that cigarettes are an insidious slow poison ffs.

Now I did ask if the person my friend if the DHHS were prepared to put this in writing. Um...No

So can some one please tell me, apart from having Nic Juice in your possession or selling Nic Juice, just wtf is legal in Tasmania and wtf is not.
    I also tried to speak with DHHS in the past and the office of the Minister. I give up. As I see it, do as you will is the whole context of this law. Nothing has changed.
    The DHHS themselves do not seem to know.

When one thinks about it, the DHHS has issued educational guide lines which they say is not enforceable law. However if a vendor and there are now 4 of them from what I hear in Northern Tasmania and one in Southern, if one is not following the guide lines, then maybe their licence will not be renewed next year.

As it stands now, vendors in Northern Tasmania have complied to the guide lines. They have removed their pics of products from their websites. The one vendor in Southern Tasmania has not. This IMHO creates unfair advantage as the northern tassie vendors may be loosing sales by being compliant to the guide lines.

I myself went to a cafe the other day, had a nice iced coffee. I sat at the side of the cafe outdoors, vaping quite happily and others some tables away were smoking contently. I had one of those number signs put on my table waiting for my order to be brought out to me. The guide lines say that you can vape outdoors but where you are vaping or smoking no food or beverage may be served. Bullshit, nearly every damn cafe and fast food outlet and even pubs serve food and drink in their outdoor areas where smokers and vapers choose to indulge. No one gives a shit.

@vapetrail @margyb

3. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Now I am really and truly confused about this. In Tasmania vapes have been classified as tobacco products. Ok this is insane but then, wtf. If this is the case and B&M vendors cannot display their mods or e-juice etc., as they are "smoking products" then please explain to me how is it that I walked into a tobacco shop and saw Hooka's (bongs) and smoking pipes on clear display. Excuse me, are they also not smoking products?

I understand that the new Tasmanian regulations are aimed at stopping under age people from taking up vaping.
    No B&M shop that I know in Tasmania will allow an under age person into their store and neither will tobacconists.
    So can some one please explain to my befuddled brain why tobacconists can display implements for smoking and their associated accessories and vape B&M vendors cannot?

What is the difference between a pipe used for smoking tobacco and a mod for vaping E-Juice?
    Remember that Mods have also been clasiffied now as smoking aids as is a tobacco pipe.

I honestly think that this is a matter that needs to be raised with the Dept of Fair Trading.
    If the display of tobacco related devices as classified by recent regulations in Tasmania is prohibited, then the same regulation should be applicable to tobacconists B&M stores.

I had this discussion with one B&M vendor in Tassie and was told Hookas (bongs) are considered as decorative vases ffs. I for one can think of more attractive vases for my flowers :wall: :mad:

@vapetrail, @margyb

4. vapetrail

vapetrail Member

Hi Rayjay, that's correct. There is no clear definition of what constitutes a bong. Although that won't be too hard to make it law to say that a bong is a glass piece with a bowl on the other end and a hole in the middle. But because the government isn't threatened by losing money on their business, they don't care. Unfortunately we live in a capitalist society where our lives essentially don't matter, they create an illusion for us to think they care, it's what keeps the wealthy to stay wealthy. Say for example, we have the highest prices for cigarettes, $20 - $30 per packet of cigarettes where as in the US in some states it's about $8.00. They say the high prices forces people to reconsider continuing to smoke, but really it just means more money in the governments pockets. The graph shows that it worked for several years but now it's plateaued. Also plain packaging and removing display of cigarettes didn't show any real evidence that it reduced the rates of smokers so thats just a waste of time and effort to enforce. The government makes more money while we have to suffer, can't afford to smoke and not allowed to vape.

http://www.afr.com/opinion/columnis...f-cigarettes-just-doesnt-work-20170615-gwrit2

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Rayjay likes this.
  5. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Very true what you say @vapetrail it is not defined what constitutes a bong. PMSL. By the same token, it seems that the police clearly know what a bong is and if you get pulled up and they see it on your back seat for instance, you can be charged for possessing an implement for smoking a prohibited substance.

The police know what it is, but it seems the DHHS do not :wall:

vapetrail likes this.
  6. vapetrail

vapetrail Member

I know right!

7. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Also @vapetrail, why can a legal pipe for smoking tobacco can be displayed and a mod cannot that is what I cannot understand. The sale of a smoking pipe attracts the same GST as does a mod. Only Tobacco attracts the excise that the govt do not want to loose.

8. vapetrail

vapetrail Member

I have no idea either. :scratch:

9. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Me either and as I said it it a clear case for the Dept of Fair Trading. :cloud: