Thoughts on a conversion

Discussion in 'Modding and Technical' started by Pipesub, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Browny

Browny Senior Member

So I'm not the only one who looks at that video and thinks it's just really really stupid...

DaveJ, Noe and Pipesub like this.
  2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I could see a use for that box though, like if your plane crashed on a deserted island, with no means to recharge the batts, at least you'd be able to vape for a month while waiting to be rescued ;)

Browny likes this.
  3. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Yeah - backup battery starter if you loose your main batteries in your Kenworth.

Browny and Pipesub like this.
  4. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

did the 510s show up? i think i neglected a nut on one [easy to source from bunnings] but the version 4 is complete

Pipesub likes this.
  5. Pipesub

Pipesub Senior Member

No Mate - but I'll let you know about the nut as soon as it does.

DogMan likes this.
  6. Pipesub

Pipesub Senior Member

Hey Dogman - Got your care package. Cheers Buddy!
    If the nut you were previously talking about was for the Classic 510 then no, there wasn't one (no biggie though) but that brings up a question:
    The drafted screw is larger than the original hole in the delrin. Is it standard practice to drill out the delrin insert or force thread the larger screw?
    If you drill out and secure it with a nut it's not adjustable. Maybe these fixed centre pin designs are not supposed to be adjustable.

Browny and laurie9300 like this.
  7. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

https://imgur.com/a/ouV6h

they get drilled, and optionally tapped. The oring is thick enough that it will have some adjustability with the bottom nut even without a tap

Pipesub and laurie9300 like this.
  8. Pipesub

Pipesub Senior Member

Thanks - Doh! You did post this previously ;)

DogMan likes this.
  9. Pipesub

Pipesub Senior Member

Managed the conversion yesterday.
    It works and didn't blow up so I'm fairly happy.
    Still some work to do though:
    - It leaks :( I think I saw that the FDV V4 needs an o-ring inside the 510 connector in between the atty and the centre pin. I'll have to source that.
    - It seems a bit under powered so I'll need to do some voltage drop tests
    - I still need to cut out the squonk hole but as you can see from the pictures the bottle position is still not right. I might look for a larger bottle as it looks like there is space. This would require a different hole position than the present bottle.

Overall - not bad for a first effort. I've got some 3034 mosfets on order so I might rewire the whole thing at some point ;) Thanks for everyones help & special thanks to Dogman for the 510s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Browny, DaveJ and DogMan like this.
  10. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

Looking good. A snug fitting bottle that is supported by surrounds will have a better squonk action.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Pipesub likes this.
  11. Pipesub

Pipesub Senior Member

Did you notice that I didn't use the pos pin solder sleeve? I couldn't figure out how in the hell a good connection would be made unless you soldered the thing to the SS tube. I know it's possible but no matter how much I Googled I couldn't find an exact explanation. This isn't the best:
    "Also included is a brass solder sleeve since it is a pain to solder to stainless steel. Pry it open to on the gap tighten to tighten and solder USING SILVER BEARING SOLDER to secure. (It is recommended that the lead wire be soldered first on the 2mm hole of the solder sleeve."

Besides, it would have been awfully crowded getting the pos wire to the pos post on the PCB unless I removed the post and I didn't want to heat stress the components by de-soldering a huge post like that. ;)

Browny and DogMan like this.
  12. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

I did notice that. The leaking and vd are why many favor the classic. I still need to put a v4 through it's paces

Pipesub likes this.
  13. Pipesub

Pipesub Senior Member

Ahhhh, now he tells me ;)
    I tried to find that Dewalt tap & drill set but I couldn't convert the stooopid US (#36 / 6-32) measurements quickly enough in Bunnings to keep the SOs eyes from turning into laser turrets. :hide:

Browny and DogMan like this.
  14. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

I definitely don't recommend soldering the positive there. The reason being, all your current is passing through the spring.

I don't have time now to walk you through soldering to stainless, but if you read the "510" section in this doc, you will find how I do it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3DNipO8Q1hFbVQ2WDRBMWxZMWc/view?usp=sharing

Browny, DaveJ and Pipesub like this.
  15. Pipesub

Pipesub Senior Member

Thanks Laurie - Yes, I read your whole tutorial when you first posted and went to Jaycar to get the SolderBright and 93/7, tin/lead solder. No Solderbright on hand.
    Add to that the fact that I could not, for the life of me find any clear instructions or pictures showing the FDV solder sleeve soldered to the SS tube. Just something about "prying it open on the gap and tightening it" The quote above references "Silver Bearing Solder" but there are references that do not specify that thus leaving it open to speculation as to soldering or "tightening" (crimp?).

I knew that couldn't be the case so I went for the nut as it was electrically isolated from the base and buzzed through fine with a continuity test. The Vd loss was the gotcha.
    "The reason being, all your current is passing through the spring." - I see your point.

Given that it leaks as well I might just swap it out with the FDV original 510. Not as nice looking but better that than a sticky pocket.

Cheers, Mate.

16. Browny

Browny Senior Member

I think your right with thinking they're meaning 'crimp' the sleeve onto the stainless tube.
    My guess from only knowing what's been posted (not seen one in person to examine yet) they seem to mean you open it larger than needed to make it easier to the crimp it onto the SS tube, basically ends up looking like a normal crimp terminal that's just crimped in a round/circular manner using one side overlapping the other to hold it in place.

laurie9300 and Pipesub like this.
  17. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

Thank you for the calipers. Nice surprise

Pipesub, Browny and laurie9300 like this.
  18. Pipesub

Pipesub Senior Member

Hey - Most happy to oblige mate. Not digital but a start.;)

Browny, laurie9300 and DogMan like this.