1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Tools that tempt you.

Discussion in 'The Shed' started by Aussie, Sep 8, 2015.

1. starlo

starlo New Member

Jes, I don't even know where to begin answering this.
    I could walk out the door and spend 100.000$ on tools without even thinking about it.
    That's if I had 100k of course.

Aussie likes this.
  2. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

I was almost going to post a list of the (very modestly priced) tools I have bought recently (was so proud to finally get an electric drill!) but then realised what I'd really like is a 3D printer (along with a lifetime's worth of parts, feeder materials, and power for it). These are some of the things I've 3D designed & had printed in recent times..

[​IMG]

No.. not the mods and tanks, but the holders and stands for them.

My next order will include a 5 x tube mod version of this, as well as the first 3D prints in metal (a ring and a couple of pendants).

[​IMG]

3. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

I'd really like a pto driven stump grinder, and a hydraulic side shift flail mower for the tractor.
    No 2 coming this season.
    Need a set of remotes on the Mahindra first.

The Vaper, Aussie and Pippi like this.
  4. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Hell yeah! That would have made this easier (and unworthy of a time-lapse animation).

5. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

WTF?
    No way. I rip out several each year. Ripper on the tractor ok, but grinding better. No holes no weeds.

6. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

That stump was removed from the back yard of a suburban house in Sydney's south west.

A poorly designed carport prevented access for tractors or other large machinery, not that the ..budget for the removal would have made anything more complex than hand tools practical (borrowed from the old fella' next door, no less).
    But can you plough over it afterwards? Not relevant to that stump in suburbia, admittedly, but it reminds me of a funny story from 'back on the farm'.

My father was a mechanical engineer working in the mining industry, and my step mother was into farming, so I lived on our (hobby - none larger than 100 acres) farms as a kid - and hated it. OTOH there were some interesting times.

One was when my dad ..liberated explosives and detonators from his place of work so we could remove stumps from a paddock we were using for crops. There were around 4-5 stumps and we removed the easier ones first. The process was to dig under the central core of the stump, stick detonators in a stick of explosive, wrap it up with a few others (as per expected need), place the explosive right underneath the stump, pack dirt back in on top of it, then withdraw to a safe distance to spark the detonator across the battery of the company ute.

Fun, fun, fun! Well, not so much all the digging, but certainly the detonating. ;)

So, we came to the last stump, the biggest, gnarliest old stump, and repeated the same basic process until the point of deciding how much explosive to put beneath it. We almost doubled the amount for the previous stump, then we only had a few sticks left. We looked at each other, shared a grin, and packed those in as well.

Again retreating to a safe distance, I gauged where the 2nd terminal on the battery was, before returning my attention to the stump and sparking it.

Ka (farking) BOOM!

We peered through the resulting dust cloud, wondering if the blast had managed to remove the stump. Once it settled, we looked for the stump ..and couldn't see it! So we walked towards the hole, noting there were now a bunch of bits of wood laying all about the place. At the point of the explosion, there was a deep hole and ..nothing else. The explosion had managed to tear the entire stump into (some rather large) wood chips and spread it across half the paddock.

My step mother was furious..
    But me and my dad could not wipe the silly grins off our faces.

If it had have been modern times, I'd have filmed it and uploaded it, expecting it to appear on the Darwin Awards Twitter feed with a "Why women live longer.." caption.

So, I have to say that my all time favourite tool is explosives. It's not a precision tool, like a lathe, but it sure is fun. :)

Aussie likes this.
  7. starlo

starlo New Member

I use 3D printing for several applications, and my opinion of it at this point is that there's very little point buying a 3d printer. This is because the real work goes into mapping STI files

The Vaper likes this.
  8. starlo

starlo New Member

double post.

9. starlo

starlo New Member

My latest acquisitions are:
    Cordless dremel
    An Alaskan mill (which I haven't used yet)
    A stanley 5/12 Jointing plane--which I'll probably sell, because I won't use it enough.

10. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Ah powder monkey. I see the funny side of that.
    My grandfather wired the steel front gate up to the car magneto, and zapped the baker. Loaves halfway to Dimboola he reckoned.
    No I dont cultivate this area. Use and enhance native stands. Holes == broad leaf weeds in native grasses. Best to grind in native areas.

The Vaper likes this.