1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Tootlepuffing vs Cloudchasing Juice Usage

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Gabby, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Gabby

Gabby Member

Presumably cloudchasing (subohm direct vaping) uses more juice than tootlepuffing (simple mouth to lung MTL). Anyone got any figures or even an indication on how much more is typical? Per puff? Per day?

Also presumably for cloudchasing there's more nic with each puff, although much goes into the ambient with either technique. Does this mean that cloudchasers tend to use lower strength than tootle puffers (for the same needs)?

I'm sure the real answer is 'it depends', but I'm trying to get a handle on it. As a tootlepuffer who's still in hybrid mode, I probably wouldn't use more than about 5ml@18mg a week if I were vaping full time. Some of the weekly consumption figures I've seen here I find amazing.

Nico and Laughter likes this.
  2. Flea

Flea Senior Member

I chain vape about 3 - 5ml/day.
    18mg, 50/50, no flavour.

1.8 oHms at 5 - 7 Watts.

Mo Town, MetalOz and Gabby like this.
  3. Gabby

Gabby Member

Thanks Flea. MTL or DTL? (I presume MTL from the ohms & watts.)

Flea likes this.
  4. DogMan

DogMan Yes

5. DogMan

DogMan Yes

Also, I vape at around 0.2 ohms, 50-70 watts.

Usually around 45 mg.

About 5 ml a day

KayP, Aussie, rupert and 2 others like this.
  6. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

Im a MTL vaper but i have a wide variety in the way i vape mtl, if that makes sense

When im useing my little AOI trying to stelth vape, most of the time when out and about i will chain vape 12mg juice and through the day i would go through about 5ml

But when im at home and needing more i will chain vape 6mg on my crown with a clapton at 0.5-0.3 ohm at 40watt i will go through around 15-20ml in a day

Gabby, snuffy and DogMan like this.
  7. snuffy

snuffy Guest

I'm using 0.18 eleaf ECL coils in the Melo lll mini 2ml tank with temp control 45 watts 135c with 70 Pg 3mg unflavoured which I go through 30 mls a day, if I use 70 Vg I use half that amount in exactly the same setup.
    Pg/Vg ratio has a lot to do with how much juice you go through but that's not the only variable.

Gabby likes this.
  8. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

I find as well with pre made coils i dont go through as much juice as build ones when im useing my morpheus tank with pre made clapton 0.5 at 40watt i will go through around 10-15ml a day

Gabby and snuffy like this.
  9. Flea

Flea Senior Member

I guess I'm MTL.

10. snuffy

snuffy Guest

I should have said I am a direct lung vaper which is why I go through so much juice, 25 puffs and 2ml's is gone.

Gabby likes this.
  11. Mo Town

Mo Town New Member

You are the man!

Gabby and Flea like this.
  12. Mo Town

Mo Town New Member

Light recreational vaper here.

mostly straight to lung
    0.2-0.5 ohm. 30-60 watts.
    3-6 mg
    3-10 mL/day (mostly on the 3 side)

I have a Innokin VV4 to do MTL. 6mg. 1.5 ohm. I use this only few times a week. 3-5 mL/week kind of thing.

Gabby and Pippi like this.
  13. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

Mixed style here, @ 16watts (1.2 ohms) I go through 3-5 mls of 15mg/ml of juice (45-70mg of nicotine total)
    @25 watts (.4 ohm coil) I go through 6-7mls of 10mg/ml of juice.(60-70mg of nicotine total)

People tend to subconciously adjust the amount of nicotine you need without even realizing it. If you have a weak juice and your body needs more you'll vape like a steamtrain.

Gabby and Noe like this.
  14. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I think that amount of juice consumption, for most vapers, has less to do with vape technique or PG/VG ratios & more to do with nicotine content/strength.
    My guide, which @DogMan linked, explains it in more detail:

This is a perfect example of the principle in my guide, approx 5ml (I think it would probably be more likely 6-7ml, if @Wanda was measuring accurately) @ 12mg/ml, compared to 15ml @ 6mg/ml.
    The clue for me here is the nicotine strengths, not the type of devices being used.
    7ml @ 12mg, is close enough to half as much juice consumed as 15ml @ 6mg, the fact that different devices are being used is nearly irrelevant here, the fact that 12mg is twice as strong as 6mg is what is relevant.

Sure I am not taking into account all of what Wanda posted but this is because I am trying to simplify the equation, to make it easier to understand.
    It is always a rough estimate that juice consumption will double if you drop the nicotine strength by half, for some this can mean as much as triple in juice consumption & I think the reason for that is that when you halve the nicotine strength you are never really satisfied with each puff, thus you take more puffs to try to get that level of satisfaction.

I use 24mg/ml juice in all my devices (except when flavor testing, then I will use 10-12mg/ml, so I can get a better understanding of the flavor by vaping it more), what I find is that my juice consumption is fairly constant at 4-6ml per day. My juice consumption is varied, since I also use snuff & snus, which also contain nicotine but my "dose" of nicotine per day remains fairly constant, if I am drinking heavily that "dose" will usually increase.
    If I am using a higher ohm MTL device, I take more puffs (chain vape) compared to if I am using a lower ohm DTL device. Because generally the lower ohm devices consume juice at a faster rate, producing thicker clouds with more vapor volume per puff, so I need to take less puffs to get the same hit of nicotine as I do from a higher ohm device, which use less juice & produce lower volumes of vapor per puff.

Then there are vapers that vape zero mg/ml & some that vape with nicotine(usually very low strength eg. 3mg/ml or less) also fall into this category, who largely vape for a placebo effect, maybe to satisfy the hand to mouth habit they grew accustomed to as a smoker.
    Juice consumption by these vapers is harder to quantify, because they are vaping for pleasure or using their device as a pacifier, rather than vaping to satisfy a need for nicotine, so their juice consumption could vary daily by device used, PG/VG ratio used, resistance in the device used & even flavor being used, I'm sure there are other factors that affect their consumption too.

Mostly though, vapers vape to get the nicotine craving sorted out, if you can work out what your daily "dose" is, then you can use that as a guide to how much juice consumption you will have for a juice with a given mg/ml.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  15. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Hello Gabby.

I sub-ohm more than I tootle puff; however, here are my results:
    When sub-ohming: 6mg nicotine, 0.3 resistance (dual coils) and between 66.6 to 88.8 watts. I usually vape through 5mls in 6 to 8 hours.
    When tootle-puffing: 12mg nicotine, 0.7 to 1 resistance (single coil) and between 17 to 25 watts. 5mls will last me about a day.

Edit: For sub-ohming, I prefer high to max VG e-liquids. This as a result means the vape is smooth with next to nil throat hit.
    For tootle-puffing, I prefer 50 to 75 percent VG e-liquids. This yields a noticeable throat hit.

snuffy and Gabby like this.
  16. Gabby

Gabby Member

Thanks all. I've worked out that the rule is that there are no rules. But I go along with Noe (a wise choice) in that it's more about nicotine than anything else, and I still suspect that DTL results in more consumption and less absorption of nic.

I also did some googling and got horribly screwed around by the (lack of) definitive info, much of it anecdotal. In its absence, I suspect Noe's experience-based rules of thumb are the best I'll get (Respect, Noe!). Which means my estimates for my own weekly use are rather low (but only by a factor of 5 or so:).

On the box of Hangda's 30ml 16mg juice it says "This bottle is equivalent to 600 tobacco cigarettes", so that makes it 1ml for 20 cigs. Yeah, right! Of course on their 30ml 0mg juice it say exactly the same thing. Must be a translation problem:)

DogMan and margyb like this.
  17. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Also a MTL vaper, more commonly known as a tootle puffer. But at around 12 mg/mL strength.
    Same here, though I now go through 2-3 ml per day, it is still much less than some people's consumption!

Gabby likes this.