triton mini tank and clapton coils - crap!!!

Discussion in 'Ask the Veterans' started by Jaz, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Jaz

Jaz Member

Hi guys, hoping you may be able to shed some light - I have 2 tanks on rotation, nautilus mini and triton mini. I've had never ending issues with the triton coils .... now I do know how to prime and clean my gear etc. I keep getting a burnt chemical taste with the triton coils. If i manage to get one that tastes ok it only lasts me 2 days max. I don't go over 12 watts.
    No problems with my nautilus mini however I used a standard nautilus coil in the triton mini tank and burnt chemical taste. It's driving me nuts and I'm ready to chuck out all the coils but now I'm thinking the tank is crap too.
    Atm I'm just using my Nautilus Mini tank and will wait on my Vika Fasttech clone to arrive.

Maria likes this.
  2. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Hi Jaz, I bought the triton mini tank and the exact same thing happened to me - after two days of mucking around with the stupid thing I piffed it to @Noe and he likes it and doesn't have the trouble with it.
    I know I wasn't doing anything wrong and was running the Mod at the correct watts - so I have no idea :scratch:
    All I know it that it was a waste of cash and I will never recommend them to anyone based on my experience.
    Kinda feel relieved the same thing happened to you (sorry) as it cements my opinion of the thing.

Jaz and Maria like this.
  3. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

Hi Jaz, I was interested in getting the Triton mini a few months ago but after reading several reviews and mostly complaints about "Odd" taste from the coils I gave it a miss. A lot of people were getting bad coils straight out of the box. Only a couple out of 5 were good and the ones that were good lasted them only a few days before going bad. I had read that it's not recommended to use high VG with those coils as the juice holes are small.
    Can only suggest try the other coils and let it soak for a good 15 mins or you can try unflavored to see if he chemical taste goes away.

Let wait for the expert to comment :)
    @Noe :)

Jaz, Pippi and Maria like this.
  4. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Ps, I was sad because I had the rose gold one and really liked the aesthetics of it :(

iamTezr likes this.
  5. Maria

Maria Senior Member

Interesting look forward to hearing more. I have one on the way.

iamTezr and Pippi like this.
  6. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

I went through a box of coils in two days and dont vape high VG - my all day vape is nearly unflavoured and always let tanks sit with fresh coils for at least 30 mins.
    also tried the other coils ( forget which ones)
    Its funny because damn Noe really liked it - so weird :rolleyes:

Maria likes this.
  7. Maria

Maria Senior Member

Chat with Halo online and tell them . I did not know they use the Clapton with the mini. (Triton)

8. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Oh, I really hope it works for you Maria!
    Noe will pitch in soon and I have noe doubt I will end up looking :blonde:

Jaz and Maria like this.
  9. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

Maybe Noe likes the chemical taste ;)

Jaz, Maria and Pippi like this.
  10. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Just remembered - I tried Clapton and Kanthal coils - same thing happened with both :(

Maria likes this.
  11. Maria

Maria Senior Member

oops read it all wrong with the coils lol. Okay when I try mine I will give honest opinion of course. But its a sub ohm I am trying again and probably will not like it and go back to my vape pen but I still try now and then to upgrade lol. I like the idea of a mod but if its like the picco I gave away my vape pen will win out.

iamTezr likes this.
  12. Maria

Maria Senior Member

Stainless steel girl here clapton and kathal coils too complex for my needs. I will be using those with the mini.

Jaz and iamTezr like this.
  13. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

What mod are you going to put the Tank on Maria?

14. Maria

Maria Senior Member

Pippi likes this.
  15. Maria

Maria Senior Member

Did I get that right ? Is that what you meant?

16. Maria

Maria Senior Member

Okay got it no using tank and their battery. :) Not a good day Pippi getting closer to auction day for mums house.

Pippi likes this.
  17. Maria

Maria Senior Member

I am blonde and I may be doomed but I am looking forward to trying it giving it to a friend because Its a mod lol.

Jaz and Pippi like this.
  18. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I think the problem with the Triton Mini coils is with anyone using more than 40% VG in them.
    The wick holes are not designed for thicker ejuice & that taste is likely coming from the silicone orings.
    Since I use only 40% VG at most in my juices, I think that is why I was getting a reasonable vape from the Mini Triton. It's not my favorite tank but I have had many that were worse.

Maria likes this.
  19. Jaz

Jaz Member

Thanks Pippi because it makes me not feel stupid even though I know I'm not. Gawd we really do seem to vape the same ...good and bad lol

Pippi likes this.
  20. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Ha, i know - I think we are Vaping kindred Spirits :)