Trouble Shooting Coughs and other Common Issues for New Vapers

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DogMan, Sep 8, 2015.

1. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

First of all, I will say that quitting smoking in any form will result in changes to your body. The cilia in your lungs begin to regrow after the first couple of days off the cigs. With this comes a new ability to clean out 20, 30, 50 years worth of gunk from smoking. Carbon monoxide leaves the body early, increasing circulation, which may cause some feeling of over heating, particularly in the body's extremities [hands, feet] Traditional smoking also increases saliva production, and in turn swallowing actions, which aids the body's digestive system. Some may experience constipation upon quitting smoking by any means, even cold turkey. Hydration is also very important for vapers.

Having said all that, a small percentage of people do react to the ingredients in e-liquid, or sometimes to materials in the heating coils, or wicks. Often times, reactions to e-liquid manifest as a feeling of a "ball in the throat" as opposed to deep in the lungs from the lungs regaining cleaning capabilities.

Troubleshooting is fairly straight forward, but does require either purchasing juice from one of the more up market sellers, whom allow tailoring of ratios of the constituent ingredients, or alternatively Doing It Yourself [DIY] by buying separate ingredients and mixing up juice.

E-liquid, or ejuice, is made of a handful of ingredients, in differing ratios depending on the particular liquid:

Propylene Glycol [PG] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol
    Vegetable Glycerine [VG] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol
    Nicotine
    Flavourings
    [Optionally] Distilled Water

If you experience symptoms of a reaction, it is possible to pinpoint which element does not agree with your system by a process of elimination. You can either mix your own liquid, leaving out 1 element each time, or buy from a liquid vendor such as Mount Baker Vapor, who allow you to choose ratios of PG and VG.

This process of elimination allows you to isolate the element that is causing you irritation, or a cough. Vaping unflavoured eliquid is another option to try, should it not appear to be related to PG or VG.

Within the vapouriser, the materials used in making heating coils also cause some people to react. This is commonly rendered as a scratchy throat. There are a number of coil wires available on the modern market, including kanthal, nichrome, nickel, stainless steel, and titanium. If you experience a scratchy throat, consider trialling a new type of coil, ensuring compatibility with your vapouriser hardware.

Lastly, nicotine itself can irritate the throat, regardless of the level you smoked, some find liquid nicotine in vapourised form irritating to the throat. Experimenting with levels in your liquid can help with this. You may find you vape more than you smoked if your nicotine level is low, but it is certainly better than the levels of chemicals in combustion smoking.

Unfortunately, there is no one size fits all, or easier way to trouble shoot. But the forums are here for vapers of all levels of experience to learn, and a thread outlining your concern in detail may aid experienced users in helping you nut out what may be causing the issue for you.

Kellyneon, Old Grump, Rell and 10 others like this.
  2. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Thanks DogMan, this is a helpful thread topic and great information you have given. A lot of people experience a sore throat when they stop smoking and start vaping. I suspect that may be due to the throat healing and becoming sensitive as much as anything to do with vaping. Other symptoms I experienced were the same as when I have stopped smoking in the past and were not always pleasant. I have always drunk a lot of fluids which helps with the dry mouth problem that many experience and a lot of vapers keep water handy while they are vaping.

Browny, Pippi, DogMan and 1 other person like this.
  3. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Great thread Doggy.

My suggestion to all new vapers is to google your symptom and quit smoking eg. "quit smoking and bleeding gums" and you'll usually find it's a symptom of quitting.

In saying that, many of us are intolerant to some ingredients that others are not. For example I can't vape any more than 20%vg without getting a gluggy throat. It took me about two months to work this out so having this thread could be very valuable to new vapers. Thanks

Rell, Browny, Judith and 1 other person like this.
  4. Oldhead

Oldhead Member

Very helpfull for newbies.
    Adding, you may also experience extreme flatulence as your body detoxes and to put a warning notice on toilet doors .
    Warning Warning Gas mask required .

Dave C, Jennifer, Judith and 2 others like this.
  5. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Excellent, thank you. :)

DogMan likes this.
  6. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

I kept an infographic timeline of quitting bookmarked my first few months. There are lots of them out there with search terms like timeline of quitting smoking. Googling specifics is good too

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Donna likes this.
  7. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

Cool post, I still get a sore throat sometimes, it been alleviated by vaping lots of nuf (no unnecessary flavour) at a slightly higher ohm during the day and flavours only at night. Having said that I was a chain smoker and now I am a chain vaper so getting an irritated throat is probably no surprise.

Judith and DogMan like this.
  8. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I fit into this category.

One thing I found helpful is having my coffee and tea more milky. In fact I started drinking home made iced coffee more often because it's mostly milk and seemed to line my mouth and throat and make the nicotine less harsh. It also seems to make my juice flavours taste better, but I vape dessert flavours exclusively. Not sure if that would work with fruit flavours.

Just my experience. :)

DogMan likes this.
  9. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Another thing to combat dry throat is sipping water with lemon juice squeezed into it. Lemon juice makes you produce more saliva, which helps against dryness, and is also very beneficial for teeth and warding off tooth decay. Good for digestion too. :)

DogMan likes this.
  10. Dave C

Dave C Member

Well said mate!!

DogMan likes this.