Vandy Vape Berserker MTL RTA

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Gasman, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

True, but for me presently I'm having some issues with an injury to my right hand which makes working around posts challenging. Didn't clarify that part. Luvin this dripper though. Hope you enjoy your visit in NSW mate.

2. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I have ordered the berserker this morning from Vapr.com after somehow managing to stuff my account log in details up. But all is well that ends well and it should be here in a week or so I'd imagine.
    I had to spend a couple of more dollars to receive free postage so thought I'd give cotton bacon v2 a go. I'm sure it won't go to waste.

Once I've had a chance to play with it I'll post my thoughts.

P.S.
    I've got to admit the Digiflavor Siren V2 is also looking enticing and more so in its TPD 2ml compliant variant as that ones a 22 mm diameter.
    But I was wondering as obviously we don't have to worry about the TPD if anyone in Australia will bother stocking that size.

I shouldn't tempt fate I suppose as we have to worry about everything else vaping related.

Flea and Charles Vaper like this.
  3. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

[​IMG]

I was building by moonlight this morning as I wanted to give the berserker a go.
    I decided to put it on top of my recently resurrected Coolfire Plus and also try out the cotton bacon.

I know it's extremely early to post any truly formed opinion so I will only note a few initial thoughts.
    It comes with 2 flat Clapton coils which according to a review I watched were only 0.35 ohms which I think is a strange choice for a tank of its design and intentions.

Therefore I decided to put in a 2.5mm 26g nichrome coil which is coming out about at 0.8 ohms. From memory I think it was 9 wraps but certainly very slightly spaced.
    Perhaps I should have just used kanthal as it seems a bit warm and I'm only vaping it at 18w (about 3.8v).
    The post screws might struggle with thinner wire as to be honest they're not the best and I think could struggle with trapping thinner wire.
    Wicking was very easy as I just cut it roughly to just sit in the juice ports/space provided. It has small holes at the base of the reservoir so I simply placed the wick into the reservoir without poking any down the holes.
    I'm using a 50/50 juice which is producing a nice dense vape full of flavour.

I'm still making my mind up about the drip tip and am going to change it out to see if I notice any difference. I'm of an early opinion that it's a bit short for my liking.
    Absolutely no leaking which from some opinions I've read is a problem on first filling but hasn't been for me.

It seems to plough through the juice a bit quicker than I thought it would but I'm happy with the flavour it's delivering so if that's a trade off it suits me.

I've tried it on all 5 air settings and seem to have settled on the widest so perhaps I'm not so much of a MTL vaper as I thought I was. The smallest is extremely tight.. I think I'd go as far to say as its as tight as an old school clearo like the innokin Iclear 16. Certainly vapeable but to use it I reckon a higher resistance coil would be required.

In regards to the cotton bacon I think I can see why vapers enjoy it as it appeared to deliver flavour straight off the bat.

As I say I've yet to really put it through its paces and haven't even tried it in 4ml mode but will over the next week or so.

So far so good and I don't regret buying it but time will tell if it has been worth all my deliberations.

P.S.

The Coolfire seems to be performing perfectly so I've no idea why it decided to take an unsanctioned holiday.

iamTezr and DogMan like this.
  4. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Quick update.

Had a few light refreshments with an old boss/friend of mine tonight and the berserker decided to relieve itself.

I'd filled it up carefully but about an hour later I was wearing it and not vaping it.

I needles to say am questioning why but quite honestly am not in the correct state to investigate too much.

Perhaps it's the leaking problems that I've read about previously but I'm a little confused as to why it waited so long.

iamTezr and DogMan like this.
  5. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Running commentary it would appear is the go with the berserker.

This is a bit of a twofold experiment. One for the berserker itself and another for the cotton bacon v2.
    Actually when I think about it a threefold as I mixed up a combination of 6 concentrates and doublers 2 weeks ago therefore meaning according to my steeping rationale their ok to test from this week forward.

Yesterday I tried Mt.Baker Coumarin Pipe which I bought from Vapr.com when I also bought the Siren RTA. Opinions on that particular juice isn't great but that's beside the point.
    I decided to try the cotton bacon in respect to claims that I read about its ability to hold a lot of juice and run almost completely dry before you receive the dreaded dry hit.
    This morning was that time when no juice was viewable from the tank but it kept on vaping fine albeit with diminishing vapour production. I was only taking tentative inhales thinking it's got to give up soon. Then I got the start of the dreaded dry hit and took the deck out. I should have taken a picture as what I saw surprised me being that the cotton was perfectly white and almost bone dry.

I then put a different juice in being Vapr.coms own Pjay tobacco which by the way is in my opinion very nice and much better than coumarin pipe.
    The taste changed instantaneously therefore giving credence to all that I've read about cotton bacon.
    I can see why vapers enjoy using it and would say it appears to be worth the extra cost.

I should probably add that this experiment was carried out using good old fashioned VW mode as would be obvious to those with vaping knowledge from the post above but perhaps not so much to some.

In regards to the berserker relieving itself I'm at a bit of a loss as to why because when I opened it up all appeared ok and the cotton was certainly still where I think it should be.
    I've actually only 3/4 filled it with Pjay Tobacco this morning and so far no signs of any leaking.
    Whereas last night I topped it up to its limit of 2 ml so perhaps I over did it and lost the vaccum or something.

Anyway just some thoughts for now.

Enjoy your Sunday one and all.

DogMan likes this.
  6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Sorry Gassy, can't help you there as I haven't tried a Berserker tank, except to say that I have given up messing about with bottom airflow tanks for just that reason, they all leak or seep juice eventually.
    Thankfully the OBS Engine (dual coil) is very good & has top airflow & the yet to be released GeekVape Zeus (single coil) will be too. IMO bottom airflow RTAs are dinosaurs from an earlier age in vaping history, I can see in the not too distant future that most new RTAs will likely be top airflow variants because no one likes leaky/seepy tanks.

Gasman likes this.
  7. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Another shorter quick update.

Hasn't leaked another drop but did think it necessary to change the supplied drip tip off and put in another MTL one. This ones a ceramic one I picked up ages ago and I appreciate it won't be to everyone's taste but works much better for me.
    It delivers much less heat to my lips and I'm not one that cares an awful lot about how it looks but just how it performs.

[​IMG]

I think I've formed an opinion on the berserker now but will give it another couple of days in 2ml mode and swap to 4ml before I post it.

Noe and DogMan like this.
  8. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I know all these posts are supposed to relate to the berserker but I just thought it relevant to qualify my thoughts on the cotton bacon v2.

[​IMG]

The picture above shows how dry I vaped it before I got any hint of a dry hit.

[​IMG]

And the one above here probably shows the cotton a bit better.
    This has had approximately 10ml of juice through it, all synthetic tobaccos.

Personally I've never experienced such a clean looking and tasting cotton before.
    I've literally been running it this dry and have been utalising it to do juice taste testing with an immediate taste change.

I've just gone from a tobacco to Mt.Baker Hawk Sauce and am honestly not getting any residual tobacco taste which I find incredible.

This makes me think that moving forward I shall only use cotton bacon for juice testing.

DogMan likes this.
  9. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Honestly, looking at those pics, I don't see much of a difference between that & Muji after 10ml of juice has been through it.
    I'm not trying to discredit your experience using it, I am sure it possibly could confer some slight advantages over Muji but I have switched flavors using Muji cotton wick & had maybe 2 puffs where it cleared the old flavor before becoming totally the new flavor too.
    So for me it becomes a question of cost, since they are so alike in performance. Muji, at its most expensive, is half the price of Cotton Bacon, often it is 4 times or more cheaper than cotton bacon.
    Guess what I'm going to use Muji, simply because it is very good & very cheap.

Having tried many different wick types(no I haven't tried cotton bacon), I know that some wicks perform better in one area than another wick type does, this is mainly material dependent eg. cotton vs rayon but there are factors that go beyond that, some of which include:
    Cleanliness - natural oils or residues left behind in the manufacturing processes or absorbed during handling & rebuilding your deck can affect initial vape quality/taste.
    Fiber length - no matter what type of fibrous wick you are using, longer fibers are better at wicking than shorter fibers.
    Knots & Bunches - Knots look like little balls in your wick & should be removed for better performance, a knot acts like a road block, slowing the transport of juice.
    Clean cuts - one often overlooked aspect of wicking/rebuilding, using properly sharpened scissors! Blunt scissors compress the ends of your wick, this impedes wicking greatly and is mainly why you see youtube reviews telling you to rake or fluff your wicks but if you use very sharp scissors you don't need to rake or fluff your wicks, a clean cut ensures proper wicking.

I suspect that Cotton Bacon may be made from Pima cotton (very high quality long fiber cotton) but I have never seen it up close to compare to Muji & that may be the difference between them, as Muji is very high quality Organic cotton but it is not Pima cotton.

Gasman likes this.
  10. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I am certainly no expert on anything in the wicking department but can say from my experience so far that cotton bacon outshines what I have tried to date by a country mile.

I have used predominantly rayon so far for the simple reason that I bought shed loads of it from Vapoureyes yonks ago and continued to use it because it was there.
    I have tried muji and found it easier to use as I could simply cut a strip but had noticed no real difference in the taste.
    I have also often used whatever comes supplied with the atty and again have not really noticed any difference.
    I also tried organic cotton balls which I personally found revolting thinking that organic meant that someone had used them as a toilet paper before packaging and selling them.

I have some native wick which I haven't tried but am now thinking I should. I also have dental something or other which I keep meaning to try but never have.

I've yet to even buy tampons.

The taste has always been similar and normal to me which probably shows my naivety in the importance of what wick to use.
    A constant has always been the colour that a wick turns to very quickly which has often resulted in me ignoring it until I have to change it due to an obvious downturn in taste.

However cotton bacon has come out of nowhere and I only bought it to get over the free shipping threshold thinking I may as well try it as pay the extra for nothing else.

In comparative terms it is very expensive but I'm currently inclined to believe it's worth it.
    Unfortunately I have 423 years of other stuff to use because I bought it and am a tight arse.

Deadonarrival and Noe like this.
  11. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

No more updates and still haven't tried it in its larger capacity but will soon.

It's performing as you'd expect with no dramas.

I'll post my opinions in due time but I will say it's not mind blowing.

DogMan likes this.
  12. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I feel like I can give an opinion of the berserker now after using it for a couple of weeks and quite honestly have just about covered it in my previous posts but to summarise.

A picture of it on top of the Smok AL85 which has been a good pairing for stealth vaping at work.
    The Christmas cake to the left is for decoration only.
    In other words I forgot to move it and am enjoying a bit now as I put finger to electronic gizmo.

[​IMG]

It's definitely a MTL tank and does deliver good flavour but quite honestly not what I would consider outstanding flavour. I have other much less hyped tanks that deliver flavour equally as well.
    It is easy to build and fill but has on occasion seeped immediately after filling. This seepage soon stopped and hasn't been a problem but probably worth mentioning. As also mentioned on one occasion only I did experience more major leaking but am now putting that down to user error. However from that point onwards I did basically drain the tank before refilling it. So perhaps not having a juice control is a flaw but once it happened I didn't want a repeat performance therefore I didn't experiment with that one.
    I do like the little locking nut which secures the tank perfectly enabling a completely fuss free filling with zero movement when unscrewing the top. In saying that the top could be a bit easier to grab and rotate but I'm probably nit picking there.

You can remove the deck without loosing juice but the deck could probably be a bit bigger.. perhaps. Ultimately is a dedicated MTL tank and I have questioned if a bigger deck would really be an improvement or just detract from the flavour.
    At the end of the day it works perfectly well and does what it says on the box.

I've tried it in its 4ml variant and although this does detract from the flavour ever so slightly it's nothing that would concern me personally. I just prefer using it in its 2ml size for ease of use during the day.

I found the supplied drip tip too short as it became too hot in my opinion much preferring it with the vase tip as shown above. The coil is showing 0.776 ohms and I've been vaping it at 19w which is just under 4V. Personally I invariably aim for about 4V or just over but definitely found with the berserker that it could heat up the vape a bit quickly for my liking if I went any higher. The tank itself remains cool to the touch so no problem there. That could just be my preference and others may differ but of course I'm just offering my experience and own thoughts.

It's not a purchase that I regret making and I will continue to use it but think I may have been sucked in to all the hype a bit.

The revelation in all of this has been the cotton bacon which pleasantly surprised me but that's irrelevant in regards to the berserker.

Anybody who's after a good MTL tank that does offer different juice capacity out of the box may want to consider it but remember it is 24mm in diameter.

There endeth my 2.5c worth.

Deadonarrival, Noe and RC. like this.
  13. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

[​IMG]

For what it's worth I found this on FT this morning.
    I'm not going to bother but if anyone wants a 22mm version it will be available.
    Obviously trying to compete with the 22mm Siren 2.
    Personally I'm thinking the vape could be even warmer but each to their own.

14. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I couldn't help myself as curiosity definitely got the better of me.
    I haven't ordered one but did make the mistake of watching some reviews on it which all heap praise on it.
    Two reviewers have gone as far as to name it the best MTL rebuildable of 2017.

It appears the initial gurgling/leaking issue has been fixed, it beats all in its ranks and is 22mm.

I promised myself I wasn't going to get one or be sucked in again by any hype but I'm struggling.

Edit.. Just making it obvious I'm referring to the new Vandy Vape Beserka mini.

15. VapingNoob

VapingNoob Member

Grabbed one of these for the misses the 24mm version as i have the cthulhu mtl rta and its a great vape she loves it its got a very tight draw like a ciggy.
    Rebuilding is easy i recommend no larger than a 2.5mm coil i did try a 3mm but found it did not wick as well and that's after giving the cotton a good rake a few times 2.5 worked great so have stuck with that.:thumbup: