Vape liquid and inhalation risks

Discussion in 'Research, Health and Legal' started by Jennifer, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Since Dr Farsalinos did his research on e-liquids, testing them for compounds that are known to be potential inhalation risks more and more vendors are testing their juices and making them safer. This is a good thing in my opinion, although it's still controversial.

jen posted this link to UK vendor Cloud 9's webpage on this;

http://www.cloud9vaping.co.uk/epage.../Categories/Blog1/Our_liquid_testing_protocol

And this is some of their results;

http://www.cloud9vaping.co.uk/epages/yxve46fvrnud.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/yxve46fvrnud/Categories/Blog1/Liquid_test_results

Five Pawns liquids have been withdrawn for sale from Cloud 9's site due to the high content of potentially dangerous chemicals.

If you know of vendors who are doing this testing and publishing their results please add them to this thread.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Judith, shane, Browny and 7 others like this.
  2. Donna

Donna Senior Member

DogMan, The Vaper and Jennifer like this.
  3. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Thanks Davi! :)

DogMan and Donna like this.
  4. jen

jen New Member

In the midst of my angst I completely missed this bit on the article - "It is further worth noting that the nicotine level detected on the Five Pawns tests was outside acceptable tolerances on half of the samples submitted" :jaw:

margyb and Nico and Laughter like this.
  5. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I saw that jen, but I wasn't sure what they meant. 'Outside acceptable tolerances'? What does that mean? I imagine they are just saying that the nic level on the bottle wasn't what was actually in it, and quite probably was higher than stated. But that's just a guess cuz it's not clear.

Sounds like the Prawns were sacrificing quite a bit in terms of safety and honesty for superior taste and throat hit?

jen likes this.
  6. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

From Davi's Facebook page link I went to a list of test results published by Vapor Shark.

This list covers many well known high end brands that are popular for Australian vapers. It's worth a look if you vape high end juices like; Alpha Vapes, Drakes Vapes, Must Vape, Nicks Blissful Brews, Omega Vape, Space Jam.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/268974991/VaporShark-E-Liquid-Testing

Steve Thomas, shane and DaveJ like this.
  7. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

8. BakerB

BakerB Member

Some regulation necessary imho. You'll find the usual dynamic that as industry gets bigger and bigger, the more companies will do dodgy things. We don't want what was done to tobacco done to e-liquid as I'm sure e-liquid can be suitably modified to achieve 'freebasing'. IMHO we don't need people to get 'addicted' to nicotine easily as some research suggests nic not all that addictive outside of tobacco.

Another reason to give the finger to big tobacco as they *cannot* be trusted with this.

Maria, Jerry Hatrick, Judith and 3 others like this.
  9. Northerner

Northerner Member

"For-profit" companies cannot be trusted in general. Because their primary goal is to make profit, not to ensure people's health and well-being.

DA and AP are being fingered because of an unrelated disaster with popcorn manufacturers, but what about the huge list of other unknowns that are being added to e-liquid? What data is there to confirm the safety of these unknown substances? What exactly are they? These "trade secrets" seem a little too unknown for me. It's a legal requirement to list chemicals added to food, time and experience has shown us what can happen if companies are not compelled to do so.

I'm not prepared to roll the dice with my life. Unflavoured for me, thank you.

Nico and Laughter, shane and BakerB like this.
  10. BakerB

BakerB Member

Guess unflavoured the safest Dr Farsalinos uses it.

Northerner likes this.
  11. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Yes, the safest. But so boring!

bethydy, Judith and Browny like this.
  12. Angela

Angela Ranga

13. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Interesting. So now we have the vendor testing wars.

And it seems that test results are quite variable, which isn't very helpful for vapers. I suppose at the end of the day it's best to vape those juices that come up as ND (Not Detected) and leave the rest alone mostly. Unfortunately for me the flavour types that I like are likely to be full of the nasties.

To change the subject, I noticed somewhere on one of the links a poster disputing the assertion that cigarettes contain Diacetyl and no smokers get 'Popcorn Lung', by saying Popcorn Lung for smokers is called COPD. Dr Farsalonis said much the same thing in an interview I heard somewhere.

It would be a bit of a disaster if in 20-30 years vapers ended up with the same lung problems that smokers suffer.

margyb, shane, Angela and 1 other person like this.
  14. shane

shane New Member

Jennifer likes this.
  15. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Whilst I'm not as convinced there is a potential problem to my health as some, I do recognise there is cause for concern that requires further investigation and testing. So I fully agree with full and frank testing of e-liquids and full disclosure of those test results to the buying public.

But I now see there apparently isn't even a standard agreed way to obtain consistant test results. *sigh*

Judith, jen, Browny and 1 other person like this.
  16. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Hi.
    Do we have a thread somewhere on additives? There is a Facebook list of diacetyl free companies, but I am not on Facebook and do not intend to be (oh the shock of it!).
    The more I read on that stuff, the more I become confused. And I do have a logical brain. However, it's almost got to the stage where it's all a bit too hard, and the best measure for safety would be avoidance altogether until we know.
    We know about popcorn lung, diacetyl in cigarettes, powdered versus vapourised, what is a safe limit Etc Etc - it is all a bit convoluted.
    Point is, more and more vendors are selling juices, which is great for accessibility. But where are we heading in terms of safety, theoretical or confirmed. As more new vapers arrive on the scene, how much weight do we give to that portion of the safety argument?
    We all seem (quite rightly so) a bit doe eyed about imparting our knowledge on mods, tanks, nic strengths Etc. Would it be a good idea to have a publicly accessible, up to date manufacturers list to guide the newbies (and perhaps the vets) to best ensure / avoid risk assessed outcomes?

17. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I think this is a really important topic, so thanks for raising it again Posterboy. You expressed quite clearly how I feel about it too.

I am also a bit disappointed that so many e-liquid vendors are putting their head in the sand and hoping this will go away.

There is a recent thread about the 5 Pawns issue and a class action suit against them: http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/threads/class-action-against-5-pawns.1741/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  18. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Thanks. Can only be good to know.

Browny and Pippi like this.
  19. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

20. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

The players in the US seem to be using Enthalpy Analytical. There must be a Database somewhere.
    Surely it is in the suppliers interest to publish results in an easily accessible public domain.

Jennifer likes this.