1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Vape shops offering battery charging service..

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by The Vaper, Jun 26, 2017.

1. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

In a reply to a statement on Twitter about how vape was proving effective with people in mental health institutions and the homeless, I asked an open question to the effect.
    That resulted in several good suggestions, including from @margyb & @Nico and Laughter that some people charge their vape devices at public places like train stations. Another Twitter user, de vangrailmaaier, then added a suggestion to the effect..
    The 'Louisa' is of course Louise Ross, champion of the Leicester Stop Smoking Service that has become very pro-vape.

What a great idea! Of course, it would be more effective if there were more vape shops, but I like where it's heading. It offers a number advantages:
    • It shows vape shops as giving back to the community.
    • It would probably make for a sign they could put in their window (as opposed to many other types of signs).
    • It allows them to check for damaged and counterfeit batteries, and give the user the appropriate advice ("sorry, we can't charge those for safety reasons, but we sell genuine batteries you could use").
    • Given batteries can take several hours to charge, it also allows them to push more batteries to people. "would you like some new, freshly charged batteries to tide you over?"
    • It'd be an opportunity to give people further advice on battery safety.
    • It'd ensure that more batteries are charged using safe chargers, in a fire resistant shroud (I don't use one, but it makes sense if doing them in bulk).
    • They could push sales of other things when the vaper drops in to leave or pick up the batteries "BTW - have you tried our new range of juices?"
    Of course, this would be more effective for mods with replaceable (as opposed to built-in) batteries, and the lack of shops means it would be tricky for homeless people to get to their 'local store'. But I still think it's a great idea.

So.. would anybody be interested in approaching their local B&M vape shop and asking them if they would be prepared to implement such a service?

I was thinking of creating a high resolution (read 'big') image suitable for a poster based on this graphic (but with pictures of batteries and mods & ..lots more classy).

[​IMG]

Suggestions for alternate wording are also welcome.

2. Annie

Annie Hellraiser

I think a battery exchange service is a better idea, perhaps high quality disposable batteries? More people die from smoking than from intravenous drug use, and I think needle exchange services are available in every state?

3. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

As do I, but I'm not about to abandon any idea. Multiple irons in fires etc. :thumbup:

4. Flea

Flea Senior Member

Not sure I want to buy a disposable battery or two every day,
    when I can buy a rechargeable that lasts for months ?

5. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

BTW - that's the 'short phrase' I was looking for! :thumbup:

6. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

No, I always meant rechargeable.

Does that need to be explicitly stated? Do vape shops even sell 'single use' batteries?

7. Flea

Flea Senior Member

Sorry Mr. Vaper,
    I was answering Annie's post above.

The Vaper likes this.
  8. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

Grate idea :thumbup:
    And i think it would be a good thing to look at a free battery re wrap service as well it dosent take long for them to get ratty with every day use and a pack of 20 wraps is like $5 at most from suplers it only takes 5min to re wrap one and it makes a huge difference in safety and use

I came a cross this when i first started, it was difficult to find a fast solution to my battery skin that become nicked and then it was unable to use it untill i could re wrap it my self at home with online ordered skins
    I did ask a local battery shop if they stocked them or better still do it for me and was willing to pay
    i got shot down verry quickly and told no and that i shouldn't even be using this type as its unregulated

I was thinking as well it could be a good gesture for large B&M's may be to offer a discount to people with pension and government health care cards as well i know in these times it can be hard for pensioners, and low income families to find exta money these days and when your in a pinch that extra $20 can make a big difference

The Vaper likes this.
  9. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Oh, I thought @Annie was referring to rechargeable batteries as well.

How about this, if anyone makes a comment related to single use batteries, can you explicitly mention that?

10. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Huh! I didn't know that could be done. Thanks for the heads-up & yes, it would seem to prevent a lot of battery related wastage & cost.

Great idea. :clap2:

Wanda likes this.
  11. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

I've heard it mentioned in the UK (again associated with the Leicester SSS) for the homeless, but unsure if that applies more widely.

Wanda likes this.
  12. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

Im a bit ruff on my gear and on my second set of wraps in 7 months, when there un wraped i do a give them a good look over make sure there's no scratches, or dents and check the date i first got it if its a re wrap
    if there good just slip on a new per made wrap and with my hair dryer shrink wrap the form to the battery done in a bout 5-10 min depending on the new forms quality and thickness

Dollers saved and less chemicals wasted unnecessarily due to a small nick in a 2c wrap on a perfectly good battery

The Vaper likes this.
  13. Annie

Annie Hellraiser

They'd be free of course. You hand over your 2 or 3 dead ones, you get replacements, gratis. You only pay for the juice. The thing with using rechargeable ones is that as they age, the batteries become inconsistent or discharge more rapidly. Good quality disposable batteries could be made to specification, and you'd have a rough idea of how long it would last you, consistently. Here I'm talking about those living rough or with other issues placing them in the 'vulnerable people' category. Nobody with a vape shop is going to be keen on the idea of having a bunch of people hanging around their shops waiting for their batteries to charge, for any number of reasons. Especially if the idea really takes off successfully, as I think it would, and you have 200-300 people turn up for free recharging or exchanging who are sleeping rough. I just don't think vendors would go for it.. but perhaps I'd be surprised?

The Vaper likes this.
  14. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

It should possibly be promoted as a 'drop in today, pick up tomorrow' type deal to underline that hanging around to wait for it is not an option. That's why I think a 'swap spent for charged' is the best overall approach (& possible run alongside the 'your battery' charging service).

Wanda likes this.
  15. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Oh right! Now I'm getting what you mean. I wonder how much it'd cost the vendors?

I am relying on 'vendor cost' to be very low for the recharge service. Adding a swapping 'charged for flat' service would incur extra costs in gradual deterioration of the capacity of the batteries, or the times only half a battery is presented!

Wanda likes this.
  16. Annie

Annie Hellraiser

Well.. you can get patches on the PBS, you can get needles and all the parephernalia for injecting illegal drugs for free, so why should the government not provide free batteries as THR for vulnerable people in our community? I'm talking about very basic kit that would still do the job to get people quit smoking and stay quit. I used cigalikes for ages before I discovered better gear. The better gear isn't necessary, it's a choice of convenience or style or getting into the hobby aspects of vaping. It's not so you stay quit, right? I could manage to go back to a cigalike if I had to and I didn't have the money for anything else. Besides, the technology is getting better all the time. I'm sure there's a tonne of research underway for single use devices. I know the rubbish aspect would be dreadful, but if we're talking about keeping vulnerable people from smoking, simple click and puff technology would be part of the picture. Many people sleeping rough have disabilities, including intellectual disabilities and chronic mental health issues. There's also more and more people diagnosed with dementia who smoke - there'll be a million people with dementia in Australia by 2050. If only 5% of them smoke (very conservative estimate) then that's 50,000 people with dementia and consequent cognitive decline who need to stop smoking and start vaping. I realy believe that vaping IS the disruputive technology which will end all tobacco smoking. That means there's going to be a LOT of people vaping in the next few decades, and we need to think of the especially vulnerable people in our society such as indigenous people, the elderly, people with disabilities and/or those sleeping rough, whose numbers are just increasing each and every day.

Nico and Laughter and Wanda like this.
  17. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

I think its still a way off from the government stepping in and helping out at this stage unfortunately
    But hopefully in the future they will step forward and help out

They do have a good program running in nz where it is partly funded by the government now i think
    but runs mostly by charities, with donations from the public and vape store where they hand out vape packs to at risk people and have mothly drop offs of juice and coils
    It would be good to see a program like this running here but i think its still a long way off

Annie likes this.