1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Vaping in Public Places

Discussion in 'Polling Booth' started by DogMan, Aug 14, 2015.

?

Do you think vaping should be permitted in no smoking areas

1. No

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Yes

21 vote(s)
    67.7%
  3. If you are discrete

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DogMan

DogMan Butler

I've seen this debated before, but never a poll break down of numbers that I recall.

rotten likes this.
  2. rotten

rotten Senior Member

I may have ticked all 3 as there's arguments for all :thumbup::soapbox:

Browny, Nico and Laughter and DogMan like this.
  3. DogMan

DogMan Butler

i voted no

lots of smoking bans are just for sake of a clean looking city for tourists, and implementing a "only if you're not a **** wit cloud chucker" law isn't realistic, you can't have a quantified cut off, so it becomes like the dangerous dog laws

4. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I think it should be left to property owners.

Fluffy, Maggie, Charles Vaper and 6 others like this.
  5. Vaphilia

Vaphilia Member VCA Approved Vendor

Should be left to civil society to work out. I expect that 99% of businesses will disallow it, which is fine. The small minority of businesses that do wish to allow it should be allowed to do so.

6. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz Member

The only thing that should matter is that there is no credible evidence that 2nd hand vaping causes any harm.

People’s delicate sensibilities as to the ‘look of the thing’ ought not not come in to it - otherwise who do I see about my ‘offence' at duff duff music, cheap perfume, big hair, mob mentality, leopard prints and so forth. It’s a big diverse world out there, suck it in, taste the tolerance and mind your own business - the right to be offended and to offend is fundamental to any sensible group of small furry animals gathered together and grooving with a Pict.

7. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

I think there should be some areas that people shouldnt vape in, ie schools public buildings etc but in NSW anti smoking laws are getting silly. you cant smoke at the beach, national parks etc. I dont see a problem with vaping in places like that. And I think individual businesses should be able to choose whether they allow vaping or not. It kinda follows a lot of the problems with how to regulate vaping, it's not smoking and it shouldn't be treated as such.

Fluffy, Pippi, Maggie and 3 others like this.
  8. Angela

Angela ...

I think that pubs, clubs, coffee shops and restaurants should be able to set their own rules, as there is no reason to protect employees from "passive vaping". Most pubs and clubs would allow it, because it would boost their business. Owners of coffee shops and restaurants know their own clientele, and would soon learn if allowing vaping was good or bad for their own businesses. Individual employers should also be able to make their own policy.

I can understand restrictions on public transport - 6 cloud chaser dudes on a bus would be a bit much - so it's easier just to have a no vaping rule, and let us stealthers break it discretely.

Outdoor areas should all be unrestricted. Governments and councils trying to protect the public from a bit of flavoured steam is just ridiculous. It's time to reclaim the open air, now that we're not fouling it up with smoke. Help the public to recover from their propaganda-induced phobias by demonstrating the inoffensiveness of vapour.

9. RC.

RC. Senior Member

The veils that we place upon perception are as numerous as the people upon the Earth even though they are educated such so.

When does our liberation as free thinking beings become truly liberated from what we are taught to think?

I wonder about this.

10. Browny

Browny Senior Member

Agree with basically all that's posted previous, the smoking laws are from 'second hand smoke' issues and vaping has none of that.
    The common sense thing is a big item that should be considered, and I see far more vapers using than smokers, a quick example...
    *Just this morning I dropped off the missus at the train station, quick vape before the ramp leading up but stopped once on it, 5 mins later a guy (in his late teens maybe 20 max) rides his bike up swiped his myki gets off and has a drag of the smoke in his mouth (didn't care where the smoke went) then walked his bike along the platform smoking away.
    I don't want to look like a douche, which is what you look like now if your doing those kinds of things, but no-one says anything about it, they just grumble.
    There are too many law makers getting involved in what can offend someone else these days, if it offends you then you can always move away or leave.
    I'm with everything Jimmy Jazz said also, especially with the people who think half a bottle of perfume/deodorant is acceptable, I have sinus issues and get sneezing fits every time one of them goes past me, if they stink that much go have a bloody shower.

The obvious places like around schools, public transport vehicles etc are fine to stay free in my books, but a business should have their own abilities to choose what happens, especially if they're setup for and expect it.

As mentioned by Nico' above, it's not smoking and it should not be treated as if it is.

11. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

My view is always; it's harmless and innocuous so no reason to ban it anywhere.

But then I always assume everyone is just tootle puffing like me and forget about the massive cloud blowers. They are a bit of problem really, a few cloud chasers in a smallish venue can really fog a place up.

But given that the vast majority of vapers are just blowing little puffs of non-toxic scented vapour, bans seem like a ridiculous and irrational overreaction.

Cloud chasers will hopefully be considerate, although most of them are young men so that might be an overly hopeful delusion on my part.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  12. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

I have said it before and will say it again , second hand smoke causes no health problems to anyone ! ( UNLIKE FIRST HAND SMOKE ):bolt:
    It is all an anti smoking lie that has been repeated ad nauseam !
    It has never been proved to cause any harm besides smell and a bit of grime.
    So therefore I feel I should be able to vape anywhere ( besides schools and I suppose gov buildings and pub transport ) as vaping is so much safer than smoking !
    Yeah I'm a selfish old fart , had enough of tossers trying to control me.
    CAVEAT ---- But only if no objections from owners of property I am on . Never had a complaint yet,most people like the smells the vape is putting out.:sillygrin:

13. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

There are no smoking areas in some of the pubs around geelong. If you drive past after about 7pm on a friday or saturday night you will see dozens of people drinking and smoking out on the footpath. This kind of defeats the purpose because people including kids walking past these place have to walk through a wall of smoke to get past, not to mention people are now sneaking their drinks out of the bar and onto the street despite the pubs policy of no drinks outside. On monday mornings there is always a cleaner outside the pub sweeping hundreds of cigarette butts off the footpath. Vapers on the other hand leave a pleasant aroma with no butts left on the ground and virtually no risk to public health. Vapers should not be exposed to being around smokers in the same way you would not host an alcoholics anonymous meeting at the bar of a pub.

14. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

In Perth they enforce the no drinks out on the footpath. So you have to leave your drink on the bar or table to go and have a smoke outside. It might be gone when you get back, which makes it difficult to go outside and have a smoke with your friends because you have to leave your drinks unattended and the glass collectors take them thinking they have been abandoned.

I couldn't even be bothered in the end and just stopped going to pubs and stayed home, or went to my friends homes, to drink and smoke in ****ing peace. :rolleyes:

Steve Thomas, Pippi, Maggie and 2 others like this.
  15. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I guess the puritanical ANTZ think it is a good thing to make your social life difficult and they get the bonus of people drinking less (they think).

Pippi likes this.
  16. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Yeah, they think. But you can drink a lot more at home because you don't have to drive and it costs you a fraction of what it does to drink at a pub. There must be loads of smokers out there getting smashed at home on a regular basis, with or without the company of friends/family.

Liquor stores must be doing well, but pubs maybe not?

Judith, Maggie and Browny like this.
  17. Maggie

Maggie Senior Member

On a rare visit to a pokie room last year I took a few toots on my istick ( blew the steam down my shirtfront) and was spotted by the security person who asked what I was doing, I showed and explained , she just said, "okay" and walked away, I was quite surprised as I thought she'd ask me to stop, daresay it may have been different in another venue ... they should be allowed to set their own rules I think

margyb, Judith and Browny like this.
  18. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I went to a tavern for a family do last weekend, at lunch time/early afternoon. We were seated in a big dining area, about 40 of us. I was vaping away pretty much the whole time and no one said anything. I was fairly discreet about it though, wasn't advertising it or anything and I only use an ego/clearo set up. I've done this at various places several times before and I've never been told to stop, if any of the staff even noticed. I've even done it inside a busy restaurant before, no one appeared to notice.

margyb, Browny and Judith like this.
  19. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

I had my drink spiked and found myself unconcious having convulsions in vietnam. I would never ever ever leave a drink unattended or even accept a drink that i did not see opened or poured in front of me ever again. Luckily my wife was there to save me.

Nico and Laughter, Browny and Judith like this.
  20. DogMan

DogMan Butler

it's the same at mcg and etihad, you can have beer inside, smoke/vape outside, but never the two things together

not being able to take your beer to the smoking zone is beyond retarded, even as an all but non drinker i see that

Maggie and Jennifer like this.