Vaping more effective at tobacco cessation than Nicotine Replacement Therapy

Discussion in 'Politics, News, Media, Campaigns' started by James P, Feb 10, 2019.

1. James P

James P Senior Member

They randomised 800 odd attendees at stop smoking services, and found the ones given a vape kit were more successful at quitting after a year than those who got gums and patches.

They've added the proviso of "accompanied by quit smoking support", though that appears to be because that's how they got their test subjects. It would be interesting to see if the same were the case without the support.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1808779

Noe and Rayjay like this.
  2. Snidely_Whiplash

Snidely_Whiplash Member

The 18% looks a little low.
    I wonder what the results would look like, if JUUL did this study with their own products?
    Hint Hint Mr JUUL !?!
    Bet the FDA would just hate it.

3. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Vaping nearly doubled the quit rate of traditional NRT. Not a big surprise to most of us here, I am sure but perhaps smokers & politicians should take note.
    The rates are dependant on participants returning for their final examinations, so it is highly likely that some participants quit (either using vape or Trad. NRT products) & were not recorded as statistically having quit. In fact I would be inclined to believe that was the case for many people, some people just are not good at follow ups in trials or dont have the time for them.