Vaping rant. Thinking of quitting.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by MrMonk, Nov 10, 2017.

1. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

I honestly don’t know how some people can not be scared of vaping. Everywhere I turn I hear about exploding batteries even on non sub ohm devices, even with users who have been vaping for a year!
    I just seen a video☹️

It seems like so much effort to understand ohm laws, battery configurations, which mods are best for you and how to pair them, where to buy all the above and is it counterfeit Or legitimate, which e-liquid is least harmful, which tastes best, which has the right nicotine for you, what to do if you have an allergy, which device for your PG/VG mixture, where to order/how to make???
    (Unfortunately I need to sub ohm since I’m allergic to PG even in small doses. It gave me weird spotty feeling in my lungs and sores in my throat that all went away with 100VG)

Unfortunately I think I’m done with vaping because I’ve spent hundreds of dollars only to find out today that I SHOULD get ohm reader if I don’t want to risk a short circuit even on a regulated device. Too bad I have no more money to spend on this stuff.

I know some people legitimately don’t care about risks but knowing that I have to be almost scientist to practice sub ohming safely has turned me off.
    Everytime I vape I now even with my +ohm device I think will I lose my face which sucks all the benefits out of it to me.

I thought vaping would be just be a healthier substitute to smoking but it’s definitely a hobby if you’re doing it in a safe way.

I’m thinking about quitting even though I have a Geekvape Aegis on the way. It’s coming with a battery that’s probably not safe either. Are there even any batteries that will never explode but just leak instead?

I miss my Manitou Organic Cigarettes with my tar guard filters.
    Not as healthy as using my watered down Velvet Cloud 100VG in my struggling Nautilus Mini but damn more relaxing knowing for certain no bang in my face ever.

DogMan likes this.
  2. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

Hi MrMonk,
    Batteries just don't explode for no apparent reason. It's the misuse of them that causes these incidents. A computer or a phone can explode in your face too if you mistreat or misuse it too. As long as you don't misuse/mistreat the use of it and learn how to properly use the product as intended then everything should be fine.
    The reason you're hearing and reading about these incidents is because vaping is of interest to you and you want to know more about it and the more you learn about it the more stories (good and bad) you'll hear about vaping.
    Forums like this are here to help so if you need any answers or confuse about something don't be afraid to ask. Someone will pop up and guide you.
    In regards to getting an independent ohm reader, if you can't get one, your regulated mod itself is a ohm reader so no need to buy one if you can't afford one. As for batteries I can only recommend buying from a seller on eBay store called Supersports600 as he is a reliable source for batteries and they've all been tested and are authentic. There's plenty of info on the forums on how to mix your own juice and if you need a recommendation on places to order ejuice, start a thread to see what's out there or where people have been buying their juice. Everyone's preference is different so Juice vendor will vary from member to member. You just have to try them yourself and make the call if the juice suits your preference.

Tez

KayP, Noe, DogMan and 1 other person like this.
  3. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

I was just thinking maybe I just had a bad vaping day yesterday & maybe I’m just overwhelmed then my Naultilus Mini Battery died. Pretty sure the smoke trail I thought I imagined last night was real now. It’s only two weeks old. It’s authentic & charged using an authentic charger. I never overcharge it & when it needs to be charged my Nautilus will flash orange. I have two batteries and usually the freshly charged one can sit for a while before going striaight onto my device. I also keep them clean & dry. I’m like MrMonk from the TV, the obsessive compulsive detective so if a +ohm device can fail me so early on when I’m so precise with doing all the right things then it scares me to sub ohm when my equipment arrives. And now my Nautilus Mini is sitting somewhere under a metal mixing bowl like it’s like a mini bomb waiting to go off. I’m so scared to touch it.
    Don’t get me wrong when you find an eliquid that you like vaping the experience is really pleasurable.
    I just wish I could feel safe vaping.
    One video I watched was about a guy who had been vaping for a year. He swears he had done everything right and then bang it blew up in his face.
    Maybe he didn’t do everything right but it’s how sensitive an ecig is, especially a powerful one that scares me. I even considered buying some lab glasses to smoke with, no joke. I sure do love nicotine otherwise I’d quit it all. Really, really helps my anxiety among other things. Then I stress about vaping, then I consume more nicotine. I did add a laughing emoji on the end but it wouldn’t show. I’m laughing at my own frustration and nicotine cycling.

(Edit, my battery is fine. I have no idea why it wouldn’t fire. After reading everyone’s advice I realised I hadn’t felt my device overheat so I picked up pulled it apart to check for tank leaks, condensation ect. Tried to fire my battery while not attached to my tank and the light lit up so I screwed it all back together and it’s working. My reaction was over exaggerated. I blame scare mongering of vaping on the internet and nicotine withdrawal lol)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Noe and iamTezr like this.
  4. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

If it doesn't feel right then for a peace of mind, get rid of it and look forward to the replacement if you've had bad experience with it.
    Also I'm not sure which Nautilus mini you're referring to as the Nautilus mini is a tank. Are you referring to the Nautilus Pockex?
    If not and you're refer to a box mod you have and a nautilus tank then what MrMonk would or might do is after every vaping session he would remove the tank, wipe down both tanks and mod to disinfect it from any Juice that may leaked out or just from the condensation caused by the vapour.
    Then he would remove the battery and put them in a battery case. Have them placed in a travel bag with different compartments to separate them all nice and neatly and when it's time to use, he would install everything again. Rinse and repeat. That's what MrMonk would or might do

A lot of people swear that they do everything right but in fact they probably overlooked many things. YouTube is like the news. You take in 40%-60% of what they tell you and the rest for you to decide if it was all exaggerated or not.

Tez

KayP, MrMonk, Pippi and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I hear you MrMonk! Vaping is a complete pain in the arse, which is why I'm so keen to see it legalised and regulated as a consumer product so that it's safe and at least vaguely reliable as far as the tech is concerned.

I've been at it for nearly 5 years now so in the last three years I've settled on a simple set up that I never change. I don't mess with batteries, just use a contained plug-charge-go mod. Same juice day in and day out. It's the only way vaping will work for me, and I suspect for the vast majority of smokers.

I hope you work it out, cuz it really is much better for you in the long term than smoking. Good luck.

KayP, iamTezr, MrMonk and 2 others like this.
  6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Perhaps snus/snuff is the answer for you, still far better for you than smoking but no batteries to worry about, no tanks/mods, just a different way to enjoy tobacco :
    http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/forums/snus-and-other-thr-products-members-only.13/

Really though, if vaping scares you that much, you may as well stop using any device that carries a Li-Ion battery, eg: mobile phone, laptop, tablet PC & many other electronic devices.
    Any of the devices I mentioned have the same amount of risk of exploding as a regulated mod for vaping does. The chances of it happening to you, if you use proper care, is something like 1 in 1 million ( can't remember the actual figure, which I believe is probably much higher but that should give you a good idea of the odds).
    Usually when a device is about to explode or vents, there are warning signs, such as it getting extremely hot, if you notice the mod getting very hot (more than normal) you should immediately stop using it & take it outside, sitting it on something non-flammable like concrete. If it doesn't explode withing 10-15mins then it is likely safe to pick up & remove the batteries or in the case of a built in battery switch the mod off & in either case take the battery/mod in for recycling.

I never quite believe stories of people "doing nothing wrong", because if you are using good quality batts (not rewrapped batts or batts with overstated specs(knock offs) ) then if you only use them within the allotted specifications on a regulated device & adhering to the manufacturer's recommendations, the chances of anything going wrong is so remote that it is nearly impossible (much higher odds than 1 in 1 million).
    What usually happens, is someone does something they shouldn't with their batts, either knowingly or unknowingly & that/those one or few times they do doesn't instantly present a problem, this is because safety features are built into Li-Ion cells that are so good it takes time & use over time for any problem to develop to the point of critical failure.
    So if you listen to the information provided on VCA about battery safety &/or listen to the manufacturer's advice for their batteries ( as long as they are genuine & not rewraps/knock offs etc but even those will take time to develop a critical failure), then you really have less chance of something going wrong with the batteries you use for vaping, than you do crossing the road at a crosswalk on a green walk signal (statistically more dangerous).

KayP, Flea, iamTezr and 1 other person like this.
  7. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

@iamTezr Hmmm maybe my vaping language is not quite there yet.
    I can’t post links but if you google Aspire Nautilus Mini with CF VV+ 1000mah Battery that is what I am using right now. It runs a 1.6 or 1.8 ohm coil and has 4 various air flow holes. I continually check for leaks & condensation because I’m vaping 100%VG that I’ve distilled with water because that’s the only way it will wick.
    Sometimes I’m gently dabbing cotton swobs or tissues in & all over it even after I can see it’s dry. It’s like a waste of time at that point but it’s soothing to know I haven’t missed anything lol.

I’m getting stuff together for a box mod.
    And you’re so right about battery care and storing them in box with separate compartments. It’s drummer into me that coins, keys ect can easily short circuit a battery.

Thanks for the reply.

(If anyone reads this and wants to know what I’m doing to use 100VG in an Aspire Nautilus Mini I use the second largest air hole on 4.3 volt. My battery can be changed for 3.3-4.8 volt. I found this combination burns my VG the best while feeding the right amount of air flow to wick.)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    iamTezr likes this.
  8. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

Hello @Jennifer Patsy from Ab Fab. I’m happy to see you have transitioned from analogs to vaping haha.

Thanks so much for your honest and perspective.
    I honestly thought vaping was legal but selling nicotine in ejuice was illegal in Australia. I am new though so I’m not sure about all the laws yet.
    I bet if it was regulated better then we would see better quality advice passed around the general public. So far the general public just likes to scare people. I’m glad to be part of vapercafe so that I can talk to other vapers instead of just relying on news that’s primarily there to sell a scary story to attract attention from a reporter/writer that probably doesn’t even vape. It is becoming obvious that it’s mostly scare mongering since you can tell most scary experiments don’t even make sense or they are not carried out using conditions that don’t replicate that of most vapers.

Jennifer likes this.
  9. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

Hello @Noe thanks for your insight.
    I’m having a love/hate relationship with vaping at the moment but am trying to stick it out. Regardless I’d love to try snus one day if I can get my hands on it.
    Yes I’m sure you’re right about the odds of vaping being just as safe as all the other devices I and other people use if proper care of batteries is taken. I am looking into those proper care techniques now. It’s overwhelming but I’m trying! I will look out for the signs you mentioned and if a problem arises I will do as you mentioned.

10. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

So that is a Nautilus mini tank, on a CF VV mod, which has a built in battery. I believe there's also a CF mod version that has replaceable 18650 batteries powering it.
    Aspire is who makes both of those devices (mod & tank) but that doesn't mean you couldn't use a different tank on top of the mod.

LOL, you're new to vaping & you have concerns, which is a good thing & you have the good sense to come here & ask more experienced vapers for advice, so I think you are already "ahead of the game".
    There's no substitute for personal experience though & the more experience you get vaping the more comfortable you will be with it :)
    Just an FYI, the tank, even if it pours juice into your mod/battery, is not going to cause it to explode. All that would do, if anything, is cause the electronics to short inside the mod & possibly make it so it doesn't work again, a bit like taking a mobile phone for a swim - the phone doesn't explode it just stops working.

I think you'd be better off with a different tank, something like what I advised in your other thread, then you wouldn't need to use water at all.
    I don't like water in my vape because it adversely affects taste/flavor but if you are going to use water then use distilled water.
    Another alternative is to use vodka & this has benefits for the taste/flavor of your vape, it also will thin the VG a little better than water will. Vaping such a small amount of vodka will not affect your driving etc & I highly doubt it would register in a breath, test if you vaped just before being tested. Though, just in case, if you are being pulled over to be tested don't vape until you have been LOL!
    Especially if you have had a few drinks, as it may add something to the reading if there is still vapor in your lungs.

MrMonk likes this.
  11. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

I had that set up and the batt is still in the vape drawer - The Mini Nautilus on its own is a great starter tank - although I still love mine and use them everyday and its been nearly 4 years for me since my last Ciggie.
    There is no need to subohm at risky temps to vape high VG - I am thinking the Nautilus 2 with a 0.7 ohm coil would suit your needs - it will handle high Vg and will be very safe on any regulated mod - its sad you are reading and believing random BS on the internet but its the reason vaping forums exist - to give new Vapers wishing to quit informed info gained by experience.
    Buy a good but inexpensive regulated mod and pop the nauti two on it and I think you will be fine - you definitely wont blow up!

MrMonk, Noe and DogMan like this.
  12. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Oh and Ps @MrMonk ,
    There is something about your posts that doesn't quite ring true - for now we will give you the benefit of doubt :winky:

13. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

I don’t know what you mean by that?
    Like I’m not being authentic?
    I’m just a new vaper that is sometimes confused & in information overload.
    I’m only here to post about my experience and to learn. I have no other motive.
    I’m sorry that you feel that something about my posts doesn’t ring quite true for you.
    I couldn’t be bothered to post anonymous lies. I don’t know what the point of that would even be.
    I may be a bit dramatic at times but that’s only because I read loads of news and it can scare the hell out of me. I am learning to take all the scary news with a grain of salt though.
    Hopefully that clears things up for you.

Flea, iamTezr, Pippi and 1 other person like this.
  14. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

Thank you for your feedback. I enjoy your responses. You definitely put me at ease! Hopefully I can help return the favour to some other new vaper one day.

Flea and DogMan like this.
  15. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

A box mod with inbuilt lipo might alleviate fears of authenticity of batteries for you. That way you'll know that battery is appropriate for the settings and it won't allow you to exceed them.

I agree with pippi that max VG doesn't require sub ohm high watt. It just needs air flow and good juice feeding to the coils

KayP, Flea and MrMonk like this.
  16. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

Congratulations on being cigarette free for nearly 4 years.
    Thanks for the equipment advice. I will take into consideration if I find my new equipment doesn’t work out for me.
    I got a Geekvape Aegis in the mail today with the Uwell Crown III 3 Subohm Tank and 0.5 ohm coils.
    I’m not leaping into anything now that my Mini is working with my juice. It’s not perfect but it’s satfiacatory until I feel I’m ready to sub ohm.
    I’m definitely going to stop myself from getting so worked up about all the vaping news that I see. I know it’s not always accurate and that it doesn’t necessarily apply to every vaper and their experience. Thanks for sharing your experience & knowledge & giving me your time. I’m a lot calmer after reading all the responses. Kind regards.

Flea, Pippi, iamTezr and 1 other person like this.
  17. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

My new box mods has a lot of safety regulations. It’s the Geekvape Aegis with the Uwell Crown III 3 Subohm Tank. I got the 0.5 coils as they were the highest resistance. From what everyone has suggested I shouldn’t need to go lower to vape my 100VG.
    It comes with a battery but I’m not sure what kind as I haven’t opened it yet. I’m still reading up about batteries, sub ohm laws ect before I begin use. I have something that will satisfy me until I feel I’m ready to use it all. Even though I’m not using my new mod I’m still happy from the excitement knowing I will be soon. Kind of like waiting to open a present under a Christmas tree.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Kind regards.

Flea, Pippi, iamTezr and 1 other person like this.
  18. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Sorry Mr Monk please accept my apologies - in recent times we have been fooled by spammers or those with multiple accounts and my normally trusting self is somewhat jaded - welcome to the cafe and please continue to ask for advice and support :)

KayP, Flea, iamTezr and 2 others like this.
  19. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

I dont think the Crown is the best starter tank - it might suit as you get used to vaping although personally I dont like them and have given mine away - ( its called Pif as in pass it forward)
    Hang in there MrMonk - it will get easier - all of us spent heaps of money finding our perfect vape but its nothing compared to the cost of smoking - both in monetary and health terms. :)

Flea, MrMonk and DogMan like this.
  20. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

Apologies accepted. Sorry to hear about all the spamming. I don’t know what someone what gain from that but it sounds like they made your life harder on here so sorry for that.

Pippi and DogMan like this.