Vaping Survey Update (Intl TC Policy Eval Project)

Discussion in 'Research, Health and Legal' started by James P, Feb 7, 2018.

1. James P

James P Senior Member

For those who didn't know, the survey was a collaboration of Uni Waterloo UK, Kings College London, Uni Carolina and Cancer Council Victoria. People who did the vaping survey 18 months back will have an email, here is the findings summary for others.

What have we learned about smoking?
    • Smokers vary greatly in how often they think about quitting. On average around 10% of smokers report having made a quit attempt in the last month, and a similar proportion report making a decision to do so but have not gone through with it. Most of these attempts fail, reflecting how difficult quitting is.
    • Over the period of our study, smokers have become more willing to use help in quit attempts, and most smokers use help now, mainly nicotine replacement products.
    • We have discovered that the things that encourage smokers to try to quit are somewhat different to the things that help them to stay smoke-free.

What have we learnt about vaping?
    • We know from our work and other larger surveys, that vaping is more common in the USA and the UK than in Australia where smokers vape less frequently, and fewer people have ever tried it.
    • Well over a quarter of Australian smokers have vaped in the past, compared to around half in the comparison countries. This is what we might expect as vaping solutions are freely available in the UK and the USA while they are most restricted in Australia.
    • Across the four comparison countries – 90% of those who vape daily report vaping nicotine. There is a little less use of nicotine in Australia, but still most vapers report using nicotine-containing liquids.
    • Among those who report vaping, especially daily use, fewer are using vaping devices that look like cigarettes and/or are disposable, and more are now using tank systems which are larger devices that have a reservoir that is refilled from a bottle of vaping liquid.
    • The more people vape, the less harmful they think it is. Most participants, including those who have never vaped, believe that smoking cigarettes is more harmful than vaping, while only a few people think that vaping might be more harmful. Around one third either consider vaping to be as harmful as smoking or admitted they didn’t know.
    • There is strong public support in all four countries for restrictions on sales to minors as well as proper labelling and testing of products. These views are held by those who vape as well as those who do not.
    • Those who vape are generally opposed to strong restrictions on the availability of nicotine-containing products.
    • Most vapers reported improved health as a result of quitting smoking.
    These findings will be familiar to active vapers, but it's nice to see official research being done. I believe they're going to release another survey as their next step.

The Vaper, margyb, Angela and 2 others like this.
  2. James P

James P Senior Member

They also canvassed 400 Australian vapers about what advice they would give to new vapers, and these are the points:

• Some vapers found it easy to transition off smoking, but some found it a challenge, specifically the technical aspects, correct liquid measurements and adjusting to the new experience.
    • Persisting paid off for many and they now enjoy vaping.
    • The Australian regulatory environment stops people from transitioning off smoking.
    • Vapers believe advice from other vapers is important and useful to those trying to transition.

The Vaper, laurie9300 and Rayjay like this.
  3. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

The problems with transitioning off smoking with a lot of smokers I have tried to educate in the last three years were several:

Even using the very basic vapes like the category 1 pen style vapes 45% found it tedious to fill clearomisers, having to recharge batteries and the difficulty in obtaining nicotine e-juice from overseas not to mention the brow beating of various state laws. They simply said F.......this and went back to stinkies.

Persistence did pay off for me and yes I now thoroughly enjoy vaping and wft I am a criminal and get my nic from whatever 0/s source available. I still have not figured out how to get a covering prescription from our GP if I want to order it legally from O/S.

Most definitely the Australian regulatory environment stops people from transitioning off smoking using vape products as to how the heck do you expect a mild smoker let alone a heavy smoker to get his Nicotine fix using zero nicotine e-juice?

Having tried to educate smokers as I said at the commencement of my post for the last three years and helping them get their needs and seeing the success and failure rates I find it necessary for all vapers to try to share their experiences however, having said that the task is reminiscent of that knight that went to fight windmills when it comes to dealing with corrupt politicians with their pockets being lined by BT and B Pharm.

I note with interest that a new survey is coming out Personally, I am tired of surveys and submissions, yes I am very happy that research continues and God willing one day it may bear fruit. Yes I will do the new survey providing that while I am away on a caravaning holiday for several weeks there is internet available wherever we decide to pitch camp. This will probably be in March / April this year.

laurie9300 likes this.
  4. James P

James P Senior Member

I once ordered from a prescription supplier in Aus and then asked them to send me the script. which they did. I'm not sure that technically covers me for overseas ordering, but I think there's wiggle room there if it came to a crunch.

The knight was Don Quixote.

I personally did not find it easy transitioning. But I'd been doing so for 5 years before vaping, so I'd been practicing. I do miss the nitrosamines. People who are heavily affected by the other things in tobacco will always have trouble switching to vaping, or any non tobacco product.

laurie9300 and Rayjay like this.
  5. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Yes I know the Aus Compounding Chemist you speak of I tried the same and found they flavourless yuk.

As to the knight I knew who he was but damned if I could spell it.