Vaping to be banned indoors (in NSW)

Discussion in 'Politics, News, Media, Campaigns' started by The Vaper, Feb 12, 2018.

1. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

This comes from a pay walled article in The Australian. I don't have access to the article, but have access to a PDF of it.

Vaping to be banned indoors

STEPHEN FITZPATRICK

3 minutes

The use of electronic cigarettes is is set to be banned indoors under changes NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard is expected to take to cabinet this week.

The Australian understands NSW is set to go down the road of Victoria and put a ban on the practice of vaping indoors by imposing some of the tightest restrictions in the country on the practice.

Last year, Victoria outlawed vaping in Victoria’s smoke-free spaces and banned e-cigarette advertising.

Vaping, the slang term for smoking an e-cigarette, involves heating a nicotine-based liquid that mimics smoking and creates a small vapour trail.

Under the Victorian laws, smokers are banned from lighting up within 4m of food served outdoors at pubs and within 10m of food stalls at major events, with $150 fines for anyone who smokes in outdoor dining areas.

Last week, NSW cabinet is understood to have considered a Greens private member’s bill suggesting e-cigarettes be banned altogether.

Mr Hazzard spoke against this, but late last year he said he supported the calls for vaping to be banned in smoke-free areas.

“I am very sympathetic as Health Minister to the calls of the various organisations who, after all, are just raising their concerns about a health issue that e-cigarettes could cause,” he said at the time. “It’ll be worked through on an evidence basis.”

At the time, Mr Hazzard called for a national approach on the issue. Recent findings by Public Health England suggest e-cigarettes are about 95 per cent less harmful than smoking and there was no evidence that e-cigarettes acted as a route into smoking for children or nonsmokers.

Vaping has also been praised as a way to get smokers off regular cigarettes.

Nicotine is banned in the devices in Australia unless approved by a doctor.

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt told ABC radio he would not lift the ban on e-cigarettes.

“It’s not going to be happening on my watch, as far as I’m concerned,” he said in October.

The tobacco and e-cigarette industries have been lobbying Mr Hunt and the federal government intensely to lift the ban, with many major tobacco corporations investing in the alternatives to oldfashioned smoking.

England, Scotland and New Zealand have gone the opposite way by legalising vaping as a means to combat smoking rates. There are an estimated 250,000 vapers in Australia, or about 1.2 per cent of the population.

Flea and RC. like this.
  2. RC.

RC. Senior Member

It is a pretty sad country we live in at times when you start to think about it all.

Pippi and The Vaper like this.
  3. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Here is an article from Angus McKay of VapeTrotter..

Is Indoor Vaping About To Be Banned In NSW?

By Angus McKay | February 12, 2018

The Australian news outlet has reported that the NSW Health Minister, Brad Hazzard, is going to be putting forward a plan that will ban vaping indoors in the Australian state of New South Wales.

Banning vaping indoors in NSW might seem like the lesser of two evils considering The Greens reportedly put forward the idea of banning vaping in NSW entirely just last week. Brad Hazzard spoke out against the idea of a blanket ban, but has still stated his support for banning vaping in all areas where smoking is also banned.

Given that vaping has been shown to be 20 times less harmful than smoking, and the fact that vaping poses almost zero risk to bystanders, I don’t personally see the need to ban vaping in smoke-free areas.

Personally, if being able to get your nicotine fix in areas where you couldn’t previously smoke can give people even more reasons for them to justify switching – without endangering non-smokers and non-vapers – then I think it’s a good idea to leave it alone and allow people to vape everywhere.

The UK is moving in the opposite direction to Australia by calling for vaping to be allowed in hospitals and prisons. UK health officials have supported vaping for quite some time now, advocating that people use e-cigarettes as a safer alternative to smoking rather than taking the incredibly ineffective abstinence-only approach that Australia is sticking to.

Last October the Australian Federal Health Minister, Greg Hunt, stated he has no intention of allowing the Australian public to choose harm reduction:

“It’s not going to be happening on my watch, as far as I’m concerned,” Greg Hunt on ABC Radio

I wonder when the Australian government is going to wake up and stop trying the same ineffective policies over and over again, hoping they’ll finally work some day.

Pippi, Rayjay and RC. like this.
  4. emu

emu Senior Member

Don't hold ya breath

margyb, Rayjay and RC. like this.
  5. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

The only time I hold my breath is to get a better Nic fix and I been needing it lately. Australian Govt and apologies to emu have an emu on the coat of arms, I think it should be an ostrich with its head stuck in the sand when it comes to vaping legislation in ALL states. LOL I can just see vapes been allowed in the prison system in the UK....Imagine what sort of devices the crims could construct with the batteries. Imagine the publicity if the crims decide to vent them. IMHO prisons and vapes do not mix.

emu likes this.
  6. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

A tweet by Colin Mendelsohn

Go Miranda :thumbup::thumbup:

Pippi, Angela and RC. like this.
  7. emu

emu Senior Member

Try exhaling out through your nose, gives a much better nic hit than holding your breath.

Rayjay, Angela and Flea like this.
  8. James P

James P Senior Member

Geez. But that's not just an indoor ban, it's a ban on many of the outdoor locations already being crushingly applied to smokers! Uni campuses, hospital grounds, personal homes, public transport stations.

The govt just seems to be running on a whim against all evidence and logic.

margyb and The Vaper like this.
  9. James P

James P Senior Member

Where can I find the Parliamentary papers on this matter? I've checked the NSW Parliament website and I can only see 2015 Bills.

10. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

AFAIU it is only being introduced to Parliament next week. For the moment it is being slugged out in the mainstream & social media channels.

Rayjay, margyb and James P like this.
  11. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

welcome to our world here in Vic!

Rayjay likes this.
  12. btobw

btobw Member

It must be this one: Smoke-free Environment Amendment (E-cigarettes) Bill 2017

I guess it's in the news because it came up before the Legislation Review Committee this month - not that they seem to have anything to say about it: https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/c...ation/615/Digest No. 48 - 6 February 2018.pdf

From the Explanatory Note for the Bill:

Outline of provisions

Clause 1 sets out the name (also called the short title) of the proposed Act.

Clause 2 provides for the commencement of the proposed Act on the date of assent to the proposed Act.

Clause 3 amends the Smoke-free Environment Act 2000 to include the use or holding of, or otherwise having control over, an e-cigarette within the definition of smoke. By extending this definition, the proposed Act provides for the regulation of e-cigarettes in the same way that ignited tobacco products are regulated.
    More specifically, the Bill itself includes:

3 (3) Section 4, definition of “smoke”

Omit the definition. Insert instead:

smoke means:
    (a) in relation to tobacco or any other product that is intended to be smoked (except an e-cigarette)—smoke, hold or otherwise have control over, the product when it is ignited, and

(b) in relation to an e-cigarette—use, hold, or otherwise have control over, the e-cigarette when it is generating or releasing an aerosol or vapour.​

13. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

I must be missing something:

" (a) in relation to tobacco or any other product that is intended to be smoked (except an e-cigarette)—smoke, hold or otherwise have control over, the product when it is ignited, and"

"
    (b) in relation to an e-cigarette—use, hold, or otherwise have control over, the e-cigarette when it is generating or releasing an aerosol or vapour."

What about other aerosol products like manufactured by Big Pharma for smoking cessation are they also banned from being used indoors?

14. BakerB

BakerB Senior Member

YEah ! Think of the second hand mist effects from this product :sillygrin:
    [​IMG]

Rayjay and margyb like this.
  15. RC.

RC. Senior Member

I have a herbal mister a bit like that and sort of like it as well as the fact that it actually works quite well, I dunno why everything is a problem when it comes to such a simple thing as nicotine.

Everything is interesting, especially uptake of that which we would like to uptake but which the so called authorities say should not be uptaken.

Rayjay and margyb like this.
  16. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

What was the outcome of the nna survey on this?