1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Vaping with mouth surgery

Discussion in 'Research, Health and Legal' started by Gabby, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Gabby

Gabby Member

After mouth surgery, eg having a tooth removed or an implant inserted, it's strongly recommended not to smoke (something I've more or less ignored in the past, without obvious consequences).

I presume without evidence that any risk is associated with the smoke rather than the nicotine, so does anyone know of any research on this? The PG/VG is unlikely to be an issue, and the nicotine is common, so I'd guess that vaping is sigificantly safer.

Malestorm21 likes this.
  2. Donna

Donna Senior Member

I think it's more so that you have to avoid anything that might enable the mucus plug to not stay in tact.

So that's why they tell you gentle rinsing and no smoking. Vaping is therefore the same ie. it's not the product but the action that may do harm. I vaped after a tooth extraction but really did it gently.

Malestorm21 and Gabby like this.
  3. Gabby

Gabby Member

If I read you correctly, Donna, you're saying it's the sucking that might cause a problem. Which makes sense if you've got a stitched (or otherwise) wound in your mouth that you want to stop bleeding, and are using an MTL technique.

So vaping could be better than smoking if we adjust the throttle to make the draw less tight, I guess. I like a good tight draw (that some mods can't achieve), but I'm prepared to compromise in this sort of situation.

Malestorm21 and Donna like this.
  4. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Yep the sucking. I like a tight draw too, I just did it delicately I guess.

Malestorm21 likes this.
  5. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Yep, it is the suction that is created whilst inhaling that could dislodge the blood clot that is formed as part of the healing possess.

Flea and snuffy like this.
  6. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Ditto the others. Also recommended not to drink through a straw for the same reason.

Flea likes this.
  7. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Yes, it's the sucking. I always covered any extraction sites with a piece of moistened lint and that seemed to protect it but gentle vaping should be OK plus PG is supposedly anti-bacterial.

DogMan likes this.