1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Vaping with Uncle Sam

Discussion in 'Your Story' started by Gasman, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Thanks everyone and I'll be honest and say it was all a bit of a mission particularly when I just couldn't continue with the phone~iPad method due to the quality of the pictures.
    In saying that I enjoyed it but was trying to be mindful of not making it boring and it's something I would never had thought I would do.

There's a remote possibility I'll be going with the wife on her incentive trip to Dubai next year if she achieves the necessary.
    If that transpires I'll give it another go.

In the meantime I need to get the work situation sorted,my thoughts back to where they should be and obviously earn some money!

I was working through an agency basically labouring on building sites for abominable money but it was better than nothing before we left. Due to this trip it was next to impossible to hunt too hard as obviously I need to be available long term.
    I knew I was unfit but struggled with that and was feeling pretty despondent.
    I'm sure age has caught up with me as it wasn't that long ago I could and did do heaps of that sort of work without problems.

Mind you with the amount of walking I've done in the last few weeks I think my fitness levels will have picked up!

Not to be too revolting but my blisters aren't pretty.

I had hoped to be returning to a full time job at The Crown Complex in Perth but even with 30+ years experience in my trade I didn't even make the interview process which was a kick in the guts.

I have definitely asked a few questions of myself in regards to career path but time will tell.

In the immediate future I've reinvented my old company and will do my best to get the amount of work that I used to just over 5 years ago.

I'm hoping to get enough to keep me going and build up as I did before but times have changed.

We'll see but I still don't regret leaving the poisonous place that I did work as I honestly think it was having an affect on my mental health.

KayP, margyb, Pippi and 5 others like this.
  2. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Don't know about you but I was really happy when you left. It was obviously affecting you badly and the old saying that life is short is very true. I'm sure your kids are happy you left too because they would have been affected by your unhappiness. Hopefully your holiday leaves you refreshed and eager for the next phase of your life. I really hope it goes well for you, you are a good man.

KayP, margyb, Pippi and 1 other person like this.
  3. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Thankyou Judith and I'm quite touched by your last statement.

You are absolutely correct as I'm very glad I left my previous employer and simply had to for my own sake.
    My family have noticed a change in me and have commented that I have reverted to how I used to be.
    Of course though in the real world money has to be earnt but again you are correct in that I do feel invigorated to move on and put those mind games and bad memories behind me.

As I touched on in this thread I looked at so many people begging and I used an expression that my dearly departed Mum used to say in my own head.
    "There for the grace of God"

Now I'm not religious but do think that I'm lucky as I have a loving and stable family life and every opportunity to move forward.

There's millions in a far worse position to me.

It's very easy to be judgemental of those begging and assume it's all because of drugs that their in the position they are but the truth is you just don't know.
    There could be any amount of reasons of which some will be drugs and of their own doing but not all.

Even then I think they're all somebody's son,daughter,brother or sister and I don't want to begin to think of the heartbreak involved in that.

KayP, margyb, RC. and 2 others like this.
  4. embee

embee Senior Member U.S. Correspondent

And I have to add that very few people get hooked on drugs to the point that their lives are ruined because they wanted to. Most of the hopeless drug addicts I worked with over the years ended up that way because they were suffering to begin with.
    The world is a hard and scary place.

That aside, I totally understand where you're coming from right now, having left a severely toxic job about five years ago due the tolls it took on my well-being, and then working for another 3 or more years at a slightly less toxic position that I still hated. Now I have no idea if or how I'll ever earn the kind of money I used to make, but it's worth it. I wouldn't go back to the daily torture for any amount of money. I get scared about the future sometimes, in terms of the financial realities, but I keep trying to believe that it will all work out somehow.
    I think it will for you too.

KayP, Gasman, RC. and 1 other person like this.
  5. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I know I said I'd leave this alone but I lied.
    The last picture I swear!

We walked through our own front door last night at approximately 10.30pm and basically immediately fell asleep.
    It's lovely to have a holiday but somehow getting home,having some space back and your own bed is also something to look forward to.

Glad to report my juices also made it back unscathed and not confiscated!

I ended up with 19 bottles which was way more than I wanted to buy but when I sat in the vape shops and sampled juice I felt obliged to buy some.
    It could be said that's another downside as at least on line you're not obligated to anybody but of course you're not sampling them.... Can't win really.

My opinions on American vape shops can probably be summed up by the fact that as soon as I was back in Australia I placed an order with Vapoureyes admittedly taking advantage of a $25 off offer.
    I bought the Evic AIO with the replaceable battery and cleanable tank with some concentrates.
    I paid $80 for the mod and 6 bottles of concentrates which is far less than I could have bought the mod alone for in America.

I'm finding the side by side mods less cumbersome and think with the type of work I should be doing less likely to be prone to accidents.

Final picture showing my total haul from America which as I've said I'm disappointed with as I expected less juice more hardware but if that's my only complaint it went well enough.

[​IMG]

:hi::hi::hi::hi::hi::hi::hi::hi::hi::hi::hi::hi::hi::hi:

KayP, Maria, Judith and 3 others like this.
  6. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Welcome home Gas. I've really enjoyed reading about your travels. Thanks heaps :)

Gasman likes this.
  7. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

Thanks for all your reports and photos Gasman :):)
    I doubt if I will ever make an overseas trip anywhere but now after your thread I feel like I have been to the USA :)

Gasman and Judith like this.
  8. Maria

Maria Senior Member

Welcome home. The pictures were awesome but I am sure after a whirlwind trip there's no place like home.The e liquid pic you did well.:)

Gasman likes this.
  9. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Sorry to drag this up AGAIN but management just got some of the professional pictures printed from the trip so I thought I'd add them in.

[​IMG]

The Grand Canyon walkway where you couldn't take your own pictures. Gives a better idea of the scale of the place and the fall down if that Perspex broke!

[​IMG]

The Fremont Experience in Vegas. Over in seconds but quite an experience which is better depicted by this shot.

[​IMG]

This one is my favourite and wish I didn't have to blur out my daughters face as she really does have a classic expression.

I didn't blur out the 'Naked Cowboy ' at the bottom ( excuse the pun).
    There was naked cowgirls as well which seemed to attract more attention for some reason.

That's it....... famous last words!

KayP, rupert, margyb and 3 others like this.
  10. DogMan

DogMan Butler

I feel queasy just at the pic of hanging over the canyon

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

11. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

It was disconcerting and a very very long way down.

Management was doubtful if she could do it but with some persuasion from us she ventured out but holding onto the railings. After a while she was able to walk around somewhat normally.

I honestly don't think any pictures could do the experience justice.

KayP, Flea and DogMan like this.