1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Vaping with Uncle Sam

Discussion in 'Your Story' started by Gasman, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I'm afraid I have to agree with you Embee it is very sad.

I've watched so many people male and female struggling just to walk and I have to be honest and say that people in general certainly do seem fatter here.

I'm not perfect either and have put weight on as I've aged but not to that extent.

Actually it could be my imagination but I think I've noticed that food tastes sweeter here?
    The portions given at restaurants are definitely a lot more generous than we're used to. It's also a lot cheaper to eat out.
    Obviously we haven't done a regular type shop but just wandering around supermarkets I would also say that's cheaper too.

Steve Thomas and embee like this.
  2. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

We have walked up and down Las Vegas Blvd (Las Vegas Strip) quite a few times now and it's like one complex leads into another and continues on and on.
    I can't tell you how long it is but for the entirety it's incredible until it stops. If you can imagine one continuous enormous road with glitz and glamour starting south and finishing north.
    We caught a bus to Fremont which appears a lot older but the madness continues there. In between its a recovery period.

A few pictures of the strip during the day.

[​IMG]

Excuse the thumb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've taken more during the night.

These two are from The Bellagio at night during their water show at night and the above is from approximately the same spot during the day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few more showing some of the sights at night.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've loads more but not as many as I thought taken during the day but I think these are a reasonable depiction.

We've enjoyed quite a few of the tourist attractions but I'm not going to post them all here in an effort to keep it shorter. Having said that I will include these couple of the roller coaster ride we went on which is situated in and around the New York New York complex.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This actually was very good giving you a unique view but with a little more exhilaration involved. It actually felt for a split second like it left the track at one point.

KayP, Steve Thomas, Flea and 5 others like this.
  3. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I will post some more words and photos over the next couple of days but it's an early night tonight as tomorrow is our last full day in the U.S.
    It's also my wedding anniversary and incredibly we haven't spent as much money as anticipated so we're in for a real treat in celebration.

Today we booked a helicopter flight from Vegas to The Grand Canyon and The Hoover Dam.
    It's something that management has always wanted to do and although it's costing a fortune it's a magnificent way to finish off out time in the U.S.

I dare say I'll be taking a fair few pictures.

KayP, Steve Thomas, Flea and 4 others like this.
  4. embee

embee Senior Member U.S. Correspondent

I'm really jealous...I've never been to the Grand Canyon and it's on my bucket list of things I want to see. And in a helicopter too. I'm excited for you, Gasman.
    Take lots of pics!! It should be amazing.

Pippi, Gasman and subyXV like this.
  5. btobw

btobw Member

What a great wedding anniversary! One to remember :) Have a great day, Gasman. I look forward to the pics.

Pippi and DogMan like this.
  6. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

We've completed the outward journey and enough said.
    Unbelievable.

I will post pictures from the helicopter later but I wanted to post these now as I'm sitting in a mock Cowboys town in the Grand Canyon and it's got wifi!

[​IMG]

My daughter firing a gun. I hope any prospective boyfriends see this.

[​IMG]

A couple inside the place. All very touristy but what the hell, it's fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More later as our horses await.

Ok a coach but it seemed appropriate.

KayP, DogMan, Steve Thomas and 4 others like this.
  7. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I have so many pictures to post apart from today's incredible journey but I don't want to overdo it and bore people so my idea is to break them up.
    The last thing I want to do is make this too repetitive and I hope nobody thinks it already is.

Therefore a brief breakdown of today's trip to the Grand Canyon which I'm not exaggerating when I say my family and I will remember for the rest of our lives.

On the journey there you fly over The Hoover Dam and obviously the Canyon itself but on the way back you just fly over the Mojave desert.
    It operates on a type of one way system for safety reasons.

Once you land 3 1/2 hours are available to you to visit three different attractions. You simply hop on and off the coaches when you want but must be at the landing area at the designated time to catch your helicopter back to Vegas.
    All transportation is included in your ticket price and a meal but the meal wasn't up to much if I'm being honest.

Everything else is incredible and I know it's a lot of money but in my opinion if you can keep these memories forever it's got to be worth it.

The coach trip is about a 4 hour journey whereas the helicopter takes 45 minutes.
    The coach costs $181 + taxes per person and the helicopter $329 ( including taxes) per person. All U.S. dollars.

We are led to believe that we managed an incredible bargain with what we paid for the helicopter as it should have been $509 per person.
    We are a party of four but when we went to book the trip on a small plane only 3 seats were available so we were offered the cheaper price for the helicopter to take us all together.
    Looking at the promotional brochures this seems true but it could just be sales talk.

At the end of the day whichever way as far as we are concerned we enjoyed it immensely and a big thing for me personally is that when my wife and I are both gone my kids will be able to cherish the memories of the day.

So what I'm going to do is post a few pictures of the journey there and the Hoover Dam and others later.

The helicopter that brought us there.

[​IMG]

Rather than state the obvious I'll just post a picture of the desert and a few of The Hoover dam together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will just put a couple more in just for the views.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I suppose it could be said that these are just pictures of mountains and to be honest pictures don't do the journey or views any justice. Some are also a bit iffy because of the reflection inside the helicopter.

Forgot to mention the three separate areas to visit when you land are;

1/ Hualapai ranch which is the cowboys town that I posted from earlier and where you land.
    2/ Eagle Point.
    3/ Guano Point.

I'll post more perhaps later today or tomorrow.

KayP, DogMan, Angela and 5 others like this.
  8. btobw

btobw Member

I'm loving it, Gasman. And no, I don't think you're in the least bit repetitive or boring :D

DogMan, Gasman and Judith like this.
  9. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Wow Gasman, just wow - please dont ration the pics and comments - no one is bored and besides peeps dont have to look if they dont want to :) :) :)

DogMan, Gasman and embee like this.
  10. Flea

Flea Senior Member

I'm certainly not bored with the pics & text.
    I look forward to them each day.

Please keep it up.

DogMan, Gasman and Pippi like this.
  11. embee

Wow. So exciting. Really amazing photos. I can only imagine how incredible it must be in real life. I'm so happy for you and your family!
    And it is absolutely not boring at all. Keep posting. I think everyone loves it, and if they don't, like Pippi said, they can skip on past.

DogMan, Gasman and Pippi like this.
  12. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

Sorry gasman i was late to the party, but im here now. Ive been flatout house hunting, camping and moving into the found house.
    I spent a couple of hours to catch up and it seems you are having a fantastic trip. I feel for you when you and then your daughter were sick, god knows i know that feeling. Loving reading your impression of the vape scene. Beyond Vape supply some of the rarest mods on the planet, so i would have been keen to see what they had. Im a little jealous and very much envious that you got to go there. Loving hearing your stories and seeing the pics. Thanks for sharing. Keep them coming.:thumbup:

DogMan and Gasman like this.
  13. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

We fly back to Australia tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to the flight but we are stopping in Sydney for a day to break it up.

I was thinking of trying to pop into Steamers for a visit but I think I'm probably pushing my luck with that one!
    Although you never know...

So I'll post a few random pictures here and one which is hard to believe but before I do I'm going to ask Embee a question if I may.

Considering the American currency is dollars and cents why do you call your 1c coin a penny?
    Any American I've asked here can't answer the question.
    I suppose it resembles the old English 1 p coin but surely it can't be a relic to that.

How about these two for egos. Perhaps an Aussie vendor will stock some. Obviously from the Native American shop and not a vape shop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was going to wait for this one but I just couldn't. Can you believe this idiot.
    I suppose there's always going to be one but one slip and he was gone.
    I can't see how they could fence the area off and it's to much of a money spinner to stop but if there are more fools who would do this it's only a matter of time before the unthinkable happens.
    The area is obviously covered in small stones and very uneven ground.

[​IMG]

Eagles Point is not when they draw a game of AFL but an area depicting a Native American town and within this display is one of these huts.
    There is a proper name for it which I'd never heard of before ...and I can't remember it now.
    It reminded me of watching a movie when the Indians are enjoying a peace pipe around a circle so I couldn't resist.
    In case anybody is offended I was not being disrespectful or similar as people were smoking absolutely everywhere and the only signs up were asking you not to write on anything.
    Notice I've navigated a blur app to remove my ugly mug from the photo but unfortunately I can't use it to make me look slimmer! It's only an ego and an Aspire clearo so it's disappointing for the cloud chasers.

[​IMG]

A solar farm in the desert harnessing some of the Suns power. It was enormous and feeds back into the grid.

[​IMG]

A couple more from the journey over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I doubt if I'll get a chance to post any more until I get home so it may ( will ) take me a few more to finish this off.

KayP, rupert, DogMan and 5 others like this.
  14. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

No worries Steve and hope you and yours are well.

Any Beyond a Vape shop that I visited was very disappointing and to be honest if I return to NYC I wouldn't bother visiting them again.
    Honestly mate I was quite deflated when I walked into them because I was expecting a shed load more.

From what I could tell Victory Vape would have more stock available to you and definitely at better prices.

15. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

Im guessing a short holiday to ballarat for the vapemeet is out of the question then mr gas???

Pippi and Gasman like this.
  16. subyXV

subyXV Member

GM, amazing photos and i am super jealous of the helo you flew in. It looks like either an EC120 or EC130. Yes im an aviation nerd Ok :(

17. embee

Add me to the list of people who are clueless about why a penny is called a penny. I don't know why a nickel is a nickel, either. I'll have to google it later.

Have a safe Journey, Gasman.

18. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Afraid not Steve.
    There's more hope of me becoming President.

Forgot to mention earlier that I can imagine a lot of B&M closing down here probably due to the deeming regulations. Obviously a lot of appeals to go but they all seem to be struggling.
    I reckon America will have a good on line presence as long as the B.S. laws don't eventuate but fewer B&M.

I have absolutely no idea but can tell you it was an impressive piece of machinery and didn't crash!
    I was able to sit in the front on the way back which added to the experience. I thought it had a surprising small cockpit/ dashboard/ control area ( don't know what to call it!)
    I was worried about moving and hitting one of the buttons or controls and any movement that I made was very deliberate.

Tom a Cruise look alike pilot.

[​IMG]

And a gratuitous picture for the sake of it

[​IMG]

Thanks Embee and I just want to say we've enjoyed our time in your country and definitely want to return.
    I'm sure it won't be for a good while but San Fransisco, Hawaii and Chicago look like the probables.

Just got to get some work and save like mad for the next 18 years!

Thanks for all your advice.

KayP, Pippi, Judith and 1 other person like this.
  19. subyXV

subyXV Member

GM,
    I looked up that company and they use the EC130. Really nice helo mate and yes I'm jealous of you being able to sit upfront.

20. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Just logged on again quickly as I remembered I had one of their flyers and I could find out for you.

But you've already done some research of your own.

I took these for you anyway so I'll post them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Totally different experience (obviously) to a plane and personally I felt a bit more vulnerable but .... I don't want to keep gushing!

I totally appreciate it's an awful lot of money and I've always ignored these sort of trips as being for the rich only.
    But if anybody's ever tempted to try one all I will say is that I can't recommend them enough.
    If possible financially try and make it happen because as surprising as it sounds,and I suppose dependent on where it is, it's worth it.

KayP, Pippi and Judith like this.