Various Battery Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by MrMonk, Nov 22, 2017.

1. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

Are IMR batteries the safest or are IMR hybrid batteries safer?
    Are either of those batteries sold with protection?

(I recently watched an MNKE battery get hit with a heat gun and then get short circuited & all it did was vent a tiny little bit of gas.
    That seems pretty safe!)

I’m looking at possible 26650 batteries which is why I am asking.

I’m not exactly sure of all the specifications I need to look for when matching a battery to my device. My device is a Geekvape Aegis which can take 26650/18650 but that’s just the size of the battery right?
    What about voltage, amps (continuous discharge vs pulse burst)?

2. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

both are good, depending on what the rest of the "hybrid" is. It means multiple chemistries, so some of the hybrids get pretty spectacular should they fail

Go by CDR, not pulse, calculate with something like this, unless your mental maths is good http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

mooch on ecf [he is also on reddit and a few others] does battery testing, his blog and his forum threads will have tests and recommendations for batteries, and their limits

:)

MrMonk, Noe and iamTezr like this.
  3. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

INR batteries are "safer" than IMR but either are good to use. What you shouldn't be using is ICR batteries in a mech mod, in a regulated mod ICR batteries are ok to use but it is still better to use INR or IMR batteries.
    That is provided you are using a battery that is rated(continuous amp rating) for the load you will put on it & this is more important than the battery chemistry (INR, IMR, ICR etc).

If you plan to use something like a 1 ohm coil or higher, then a 10A rated battery will be fine, this would allow you to run the coil at 30W if you wanted to but you're unlikely to run it that high, probably more likely to run it between 15-20W.

The Geekvape Aegis can run at a max of 100W but to do that safely until the mod kicks in the battery cut off (stops working at 3.3V) you need a battery that is rated at 30.3A or 31A or higher. However you are unlikely to want that much power.
    For example I have been vaping for well over 5 years & I am currently using a 0.4 ohm coil at 42W, if I was doing that on the Aegis, then I could safely use a 13A rated battery all the way down to cut off, so a 15A battery like the Samsung 30Q 18650 (which really should be a 20A battery but Samsung have under rated them) is going to be very safe to use at that load.

26650 batteries are not something I use but like @DogMan said battery Mooch has tested a lot of batteries in various sizes, if he says it can run at 10A or at 20A etc, then that is what I'd go with.

For more GOOD info on battery safety & mod safety, watch this video:

MrMonk and iamTezr like this.
  5. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

Noe, thank you so much for all that advice. I really value your input. Five years+ is a lot of valuable experience. It’s nice to have outsiders help me decifpher through things that I read because sometimes it’s easy to misinterpret.

6. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

Oh right, I can see what you mean now when you say it depends on what kind of hybrid the battery is.
    I have a Mooch webpage saved to my favourites. It’s nice to know other capers find it credible.
    Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

DogMan likes this.
  7. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

How did you work this out Noe “if I was doing that on the Aegis, then I could safely use a 13A rated battery all the way down to cut off” ?
    I forgot how to calculate it since I’ve been using my Zelos in VW.
    I guess I probably don’t even need to know it if I’m in VW mode right?
    In any case I’d like to know.

8. emu

emu Senior Member

Amps = Volt's ÷ Resistance
    Watts = Volt's x Amps
    Res. = Volt's ÷ Amps
    Volt's = Amps x Resistance

MrMonk, Noe and laurie9300 like this.
  9. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

Thanks for the calculation methods.
    I’m still a bit confused at how to work out which battery will fire my mod until the battery is close to flat without over discharging the battery.
    I don’t let the battery get too low in any case but I think you can see where I’m coming from.
    I feel like the answer is probably obvious but I’m just not seeing it.
    Up until now I have been using a mod with a built in battery so I haven’t had to put any calculations into play.

I feel embarassed for asking but I feel I would being acting really stupid to just go ahead & use whatever without understanding what I’m truly doing. I know with batteries that it’s important not to guess especially with sub ohming.

emu likes this.
  10. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

On regulated mods, the lower your battery gets, the more amps it draws to deliver the set watts.

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

Input watts and cutoff voltage and calculate

MrMonk likes this.
  11. emu

emu Senior Member

Safety is the most important concern with vaping, we certainly don't want to replace the dangers of smoking with another risky act. Best to give yourself plenty of headroom and go for a battery rated well above what you will be drawing.
    Regulated mods are the safest option and will take care of all the mathematics for you, most chips have several safety features built in but you still need to be mindful of the limits.
    Using the formulas above you can quickly calculate what amp's will be drawn depending on which resistance coil you are using, it's handy for peace of mind with all the low Ohm coils now available pre built from the factory.

Volts divided by the resistance will tell you how many amps will be drawn
    A fully charged battery has 4.2 volts, say your coil is 0.5 Ohm's....
    4.2 volts divided by 0.5 = 8.4 amps

Batteries go flat and most regulated mods will have a predetermined cut off voltage for example 3.3 volts.
    3.3 volts divided by 0.5 = 6.6 amps

You can see as the voltage in the battery drops so does the draw in amps which is why we always calculate using the fully charged state of the battery 4.2 volts, the only variable will be the different resistance of the coil you decide to use.

So a 0.2 Ohm coil will draw 21 amp's because 4.2 divided by 0.2 = 21

Hope that helps MrMonk

MrMonk and laurie9300 like this.
  12. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

All of that information is really helpful.
    Thank you.

emu likes this.
  13. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

Thank you for the calculator link.
    I will play around with the numbers so I can try & get a general range on things.

14. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

that only applies to mechs, emu

that 3.3 volts you mentioned will up regulate to draw more current than a fully charged cell on regulated

15. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

16. emu

emu Senior Member

All the more reason to give yourself plenty of headroom and choose a cell rated much higher than you need, the extra current isn't actually drawn from the cell, the mod can't draw more than is available so it amplifies what is on tap so to speak.

DogMan likes this.