WARNING DO NOT USE THIS WICK

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Noe, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Apparently, there are several vendors that are offering this new "black magic" black cotton wick.
    I have just seen it appear on FT & am providing the link & pics for informational purposes, so vapers here know what to avoid: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1/10024817/5375600-black-magic-cotton-wick-for-rba-atomizer
    DO NOT USE IT IT IS A HEALTH HAZARD!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The problem is that this cotton contains activated carbon, which when inhaled can cause bronchitis, pneumonia & lung disease or be fatal!

Here is a link to a case study of someone who developed "popcorn lung" after inhaling activated charcoal, as used in this cotton: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2766830
    More links:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3139147 Fatality by inhalation of activated carbon.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10195487 Pneumonia from inhalation of activated carbon.

Please do not use this wick, for your own safety, we have enough variety & sources of safer wicking materials to use, this gimmicky wick needs to be boycotted.

KayP, Judith, Jimmy Jazz and 7 others like this.
  2. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Thanks for this thread Noe, I saw something about it on facebook yesterday and was going to make a thread myself.

Have you contacted Fasttech and asked them to remove it from their webpage.

There seems to be some discussion with some idiots suggesting it's not a problem. I say, if there is any doubt at all about it's safety, DON'T DO IT!!

Stuart and Noe like this.
  3. Noe

No I haven't because I doubt talking to their CS is going to have them remove the produc. This is based on knowing how FT has dealt with product complaints in the past - it is likely they would say something like; that it is not their product, it is the manufacturers & therefore not their problem.
    Plus as you pointed out, there are people that want this product(Darwin was right) & enough will buy it for FT to not want to remove it from listing.

The idiots that think it is not a problem, are the problem, as the links in my post show, there is sufficient evidence to suggest this is not something we should be using.
    Even if the chance is low of the wick causing any of the respiratory problems associated with activated carbon, due to the wick being wet in regular use, what happens when you get a dry hit on this stuff, what happens when the activated carbon hitches a ride on a VG molecule?
    It's not worth the risk IMO & the last thing we need in Australia is someone dying or getting hospitalised due to vaping with unsafe products.

4. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Completely agree with everything you said Noe. :)

5. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I cant even believe that people would be silly enough to actually use this stuff.
    For one - activated carbon neutralises organic molecules, so it is going to be killing flavour.
    Two (and most poignant) - inhaling activated carbon. Clever.

Noe likes this.
  6. Noe

I'm not entirely sure but I think it would reduce nic strength too, since nic is organic also.

rupert likes this.
  7. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I think you are right. It is likely to "trap" the nic, and filter it out to a degree.

Noe likes this.
  8. Noe

Well if it "traps" the nic, the heat from the coil would degrade that nic that is trapped over time. I know this is only going to be a minor drop in nic strength but I do think it could be noticeable if you are vaping low strength to start with.
    It is however a very secondary concern, compared to the other hazards this wick may pose.

rupert likes this.
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

AFAIK and I am not an expert, Activated Charcoal is used to remove impurities from eg., Fish tank water. What impurities from our e-juice are the manufacturers of this product trying to remove from our E-Juice?
    The Mind Boggles. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: Yes I did post a warning on Facebook about this rubbish. The more this warning is shared then mayhap Fastech will do something about it. I would try twitter too but I do not twit much.
    To think I trusted Fastech products. :mad::mad::mad:
    Like I said in another post somewhere, I never buy juice from China and seeing this made my resolve even stronger.:cloud::cloud::cloud:

Old Grumpy

10. Noe

It is not just FastTech or even just Chinese vendors that are selling this wick. It is not FT's fault that the product exists, that rests squarely on the shoulders of the manufacturer.
    FT, like all other vendors, is just a facilitator, if there is a demand for a product then facilitators provide access to it, the point is there needs to be no demand for this product, then we will see it removed from the market.

Old Grump and rupert like this.
  11. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

What you say Noe is true enough. However, when a dangerous products is released on unsuspecting or mis-informed consumers, the vendor being made aware of the same, then it's up to the vendor to remove that product from their shelves / websites.

Imagine in a supermarket for instance had defective or contaminated products on their shelves and being made aware of the fact continued to sell the same and a purchaser was injured or killed.

Who then is liable under law?

IMHO the manufacturer criminal negligence and the vendor contributory negligence if both were aware of the defect etc. I feel certain by now with the publicity this item has had in cyberspace alone would have alerted at least FastTech. I have not been to the site to see if it is still being sold but knowing the cunningness of some marketers it may get removed from one local re packed and re branded and passed off elsewhere.

I hate to say how many times I have been caught as others as well with re branded battery clones!

I
    Trust China Merchants ? sure can't!

12. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

Yep whoever thourght this would be a good idea is a few nuts short in his squirrel nest thats for sure! i was a big fish tank enthusiasts befor little ones came along and this stuff woud remove everything from the water and add carbon and even alter the ph if i left it in to long. this stuff was a use only if needed and for a short time in fish tanks that where 50 to 500lt. i could see this going pair shaped verry quickly if you vaped with it for one it smells terrible it would probably remove not just the nic but the flavors as well and would probably taste like burnt toast :scratch:

Noe and Old Grump like this.
  13. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

ROFLMAO.....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:That is for certain Wanda, I had a burn muffin for breaky to day and threw it out for the birds and even they refused it.
    I am still a fish tank enthusiast and am wondering if this wicking would make a better fish tank filter as it is cheaper than what I am paying now.:?::?::?:

Old Grumpy.

Wanda likes this.
  14. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

Yea i thourght that when i first seen it that would have been perfect to stick in my litte sick fish tank filter and a third of the price from what i can rember it was like $30 for a small pack of good AC filter