What an idiot !

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by crispernator, Nov 29, 2016.

1. crispernator

crispernator Senior Member

Hi all well this month marks 1 year of being free of the stinkies ,anyway while out on the roadd with one of the guys that smokes i thought well i am going to have a ciggie just to remind myself why i stopped .Anyway we stop at a park and i ask him for a smoke and he says no worries mate i ofer to pay him and he just tells me to f8888 off so i lights this thing up first drag oh yea not to bad second starting to get a few headspins but not to bad and after about 15 ,mins or what seemed to be i said mate i have to get rid of this thing .
    He says no problem mate so i dispose of it ,for the rest of the day and this morning i feel bloody crook in the guts after the episode yeasterday i felt nausia and sick for the rest of the day ,i will not be doing that again in a hurry i tell you what an idiot i am but it serrved me a good lesson why i stopped.

2. Flea

Flea Senior Member

Well done, Crisp.
    Sounds like your well on the way to a healthier & richer life. :clap:

crispernator, Pippi and Noe like this.
  3. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Congratulations on your upcoming vaperversary crispy!

Not an idiot, I definitely had a couple in that first year, and I to didn't finish any.

For me, it just highlighted how confident I was that the threat of addiction to cigarettes was no more.

crispernator, Donna, Flea and 2 others like this.
  4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I agree with @laurie9300, I think one of the best things a vaper can do after 3 months or so of vaping is to have a cancer stick(or w/e they used to smoke) of their favorite old brand if possible, to prove to themself just how unpleasant smoking is compared to vaping.
    When I started vaping, I gave it 2 weeks then tried one of my old favorite cigars, that was the last smoke I had & I knew after having it I was never going to want another.

BakerB, crispernator, Flea and 2 others like this.
  5. MetalOz

MetalOz Member

I'm sure everyone's had that experience @crispernator, just keep up the great work mate. I've only been cig free just over a week, and nearly broke yesterday, but was able to avoid striking one up. I'm not sure if I'll be as strong next time.

6. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Well done on a year cig free Crisp, dont beat yourself up and at least you know you wont do it again in a hurry.
    I have always been too scared to have a Ciggie as I really did love many things about smoking - maybe when I hit the three year mark in April - I will have one.

7. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

You are doing great Metal & Congrats on your first week :)

8. Noe

It gets easier, there is a theory that 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months are the most challenging times for vapers.
    If you can get past those points in your journey, without relapsing, you are pretty much home free :)

Everyone is different though but those times are fairly accurate estimates for most vapers.

crispernator, Aqualung, Donna and 2 others like this.
  9. MetalOz

MetalOz Member

Thanks @Pippi, it was great catching up last week too :)

crispernator and Pippi like this.
  10. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Congratulations Crispernator for the vaperversary and on realising you don't want to smoke. I always thought I was missing out when I was vaping so I was very happy when I had that cigarette which convinced me that I never wanted to smoke again and I wasn't missing out on anything.

crispernator, Aqualung, Noe and 3 others like this.
  11. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

I totally agree with Noe on this.
    The 3rd day was hard, 3 weeks on was even harder and when I hit my 3 months mark... I was tempted so many times to "it's only 1 drag" by the voices in my head.
    It's been a good 5 months stinky free :) and would like to stay this way for a while.

Congrats and well done @crispernator and @MetalOz

crispernator, MetalOz, Donna and 2 others like this.
  12. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Congrats Crisp and Metal. Many many vapers have the occasional smoke and it's no biggy at all.

I'm more than three years now and haven't had a puff. In the first year I didn't trust myself. After that milestone, I didn't really desire a smoke at all ever but was still shit scared I'd be without and have to smoke and my relapse would be permanent.

Now though, I say to myself, if ever I was without vaping for more than a day or two I'd probably smoke but I now have the confidence that if I did, the minute vaping was available to me again I'd easily switch back.

I still like the smell of fresh burning tobacco but it's not a memory smell that makes me want one.

13. MetalOz

MetalOz Member

Cheers @iamTezr , congratulations on your 5 months cig free mate. Keep up the awesome work!

Pippi, crispernator and iamTezr like this.
  14. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Hang in there and persist MetalOz. Some people can have a vape and give up smoking instantly but for others like me it was a battle to stop smoking and I still went through the tobacco withdrawals I had gone through with NRT's etc. Victory is sweet though and it is worth going through the battle to win freedom from tobacco.

15. crispernator

crispernator Senior Member

Thankyou all for your kind words ,i was feeling pretty sad yesterday after having the ciggie almost like i had failed , and to add to that was the fact of feeling crook as a dog as well .I wont be doing that again in any hurry i tell you ozmetal hang in there i think you will always get the urge to have a smoke why because we did it for so long and it is embedded in our brains .

16. Noe

Mate that wasn't failure, it was experience, you learned from it, there is no failure in learning :)

17. MetalOz

MetalOz Member

Don't be too hard on yourself mate, I'm sure we stumble before we rise. I agree that we'll probably have that ingrained urge for a ciggie from time to time. I reckon fighting that urge will become easier though.

18. Noe

When you have been vaping for long enough for you sense of taste & smell to return & you find foods taste better etc., I think it is about that time that you should have a cancer stick.
    My reasoning is that, by that time you have been vaping for at least a month or longer, you know you can be smoke free & you mostly will not miss smoking, while you are feeling a lot of the benefits from not smoking.
    The one thing not to do is have that cancer stick while drinking alcohol, because that will skew your perception, do it sober, when you have an hour or so to recover from puking after the smoke.
    Even if you don't puke, you will likely find you really don't enjoy smoking as much as you do vaping & that you aren't missing anything by not smoking.

For me, when I had that cigar 2 weeks after I started vaping, that was the defining moment that I said to myself, "I am now a vaper".
    I knew then & there that I didn't want or need to smoke, that I could get the nicotine I wanted, without having to put myself in harms way to get it & I knew that vaping was far more enjoyable than smoking.

19. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Good advise :winky:

20. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

I wonder if its a necessary stumble.
    After stopping the cigs, by whatever means, they remain a very pleasureable memory.
    Apart from the obvious biochemical pleasures, they are associated in pleasureable ways with a whole host of other things, like after dinner brandy and cigar, or first coffee and ciggie, and for those of us old enough, the ultimate pleasure association, the post coital smoke.
    Whilst they remain so firmly embedded in our minds as pleasureable, we will continue to yearn.
    So, have a go, puke your guts up, and eradicate that pleasure nexus, and go on enjoying your vape.
    There may even be some mileage in actively seeking out new pleasures to associate vaping with, to substitute, although that may be the hedonist in me seeking any excuse.

KayP, crispernator, Flea and 4 others like this.