1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your early impressions of temperature control?

Discussion in 'Temperature Control' started by DogMan, Jun 6, 2015.

?

How do you find temperature control?

1. Love it, most flavourful vape ever

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I like it, haven't burnt a wick since I got it

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. It is just OK

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Not a fan, whispy vapour at best

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't see the point over a provari/hana etc

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. Other

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DogMan

DogMan Butler

I tried temp control. I didn't like it. Who burns wicks in a squonker? You'd have to be a bit speshul IMO. Gave me substandard vapour production, reminded me of ego batteries

2. Catweazle

Catweazle Minion

TC really comes into its own when flavour testing. An RDA with a single coil and a stub wick cut off at the very ends of the coil. You can vape bone it bone dry and move on to the next.

Another thing it's really good for is dripping when you're vague as a post, like me. Instead of the "oops" being a burned wick you just get nothing.

Judith likes this.
  3. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

I'll be interested to see what people think. I'm still trying to work out whether its of use to me as I never get burnt hits cause I don't subohm.

4. Dennis_Loki

Dennis_Loki Member

Coming back into vaping just recently I had a good look at TC as the new feature on the block, and passed. Sounds like an unnecessary feature hampering current features to me. With VV, VW in today's coils whether it be regular or sub ohm, I just don't see the point. If the vape is good other than temperature, you either take it down a few or open up the air intake.
    I guess if you're a keen modder/hobbyist this might appeal, but otherwise I'd file this under gilding the Lilly ie. Can be done, but ultimately needless. Again, just my 2 cents

DogMan likes this.
  5. DogMan

DogMan Butler

i think evolv is trying to break into the dry herb market, and the dna40 was designed for that, but also marketed to vapers

6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I'll let you know when my TC mods arrive & I've had a chance to play with them next week.

3FVAPE likes this.
  7. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

Well I'm hooked on TC. I have had success with both the DNA and YiHi boards.

You do have to learn how to build coils all over again, and assess the characteristics of each, so there is a big learning curve, but once you get it...........

The big advantage is being able to fine tune your vape. I can turn down the Watts/Joules and the temp, and have a mild/cool vape that comes on slow. Turning up the Watts/Joules gives me the same vape, with no ramp up.

Turn the temp right up and I can get a a warm to hot vape and adjust the ramp up as I please. I also have the choice of every point in between, all with the same coil.

With experimentation I have found that many juices have different flavour notes that you can pick out by adjusting the temp. The options are endless!

The"no dry hits" and "vaping your wick dry" before changing flavours is just icing on the cake.

I do understand that it's not for everyone. Many people don't like change, and are happy with vaping the way they have been. Many don't have the time out are not willing to learn the "art" all over again from scratch.

I, however, am a tinkerer and a "tech head" and enjoy the whole process, and my vape has improved with TC.

I can't wait to try Joyetech's new Evic VT and looking forward to Innokin entering the market!

vapetrail, ThrashR and Judith like this.
  8. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Threadwinder

For the brief period i had a nickel coil in my Lemo 2 on the HCigar (my DNA40 died hours after i wrapped my first nickel coil, good timing huh) it worked a treat It preheated (ramped the watts up and then fired) and gave me a consistent stream of tasty vapage. Set the temp and adjust the watts, takes a bit of experimenting, but i managed it in about 30 minutes of playing. Will it stop me tooting on my MVP without TC?, nope. But it is a nice thing to have, and i cant wait (fingers crossed they replace it) for my new DNA board to arrive

MrGruffy and Judith like this.
  9. Nico and Laughter

I think temp control will take off when (if) someone does some more research and tell us what temperature you create formaldehyde etc. Also what temps are good for tootle puffers etc. It shouldn't just be to avoid dry hits. It could have a lot of potential. Early days yet, I'm just watching it.

Judith and DogMan like this.
  10. Noe

Temp control isn't discriminatory, tootle puffers can make use of it.
    Some of the newer clearo type subtanks are fitted with Ni200 coils & have AFC so tootle puffers can dial down the air flow.

The point of TC is that the temperature is regulated & the user can set the max temp. that the atty will fire at. If that max temp. is set below the burning point of the wick, then very little formaldehyde will ever be created inside the atty, if any.
    The burning point of the wicks commonly used is the problem, not the burning point of juice, in regards to formaldehyde.
    440 -450 degrees F, is I think the max temp to set for cotton wick, you can certainly set for less than that if you want to.

Victory Vape, Catweazle and Judith like this.
  11. Noe

So I've had some TC devices to play with for a little while now & I have to say I like them.
    I like how in a RDA (which is all I have tried so far), when the juice starts drying up, the temp protection cuts in, preventing me from burning the wick but allowing me to vape until there is not a single drop of juice left, if I want to.
    It is usually well before that point that you would want to add more liquid, as when the TC kicks in, the vape quality & volume decreases, the vape becomes a little drier tasting, not wet & full like you would ideally want it but it never tastes burnt or like a dry hit like you would get with a Kanthal coil if it got low on liquid.

This is my initial impression, after a minimal time of playing with TC, I can see some very good potential in these devices, perhaps they are best suited to RDA users but i think RTA & clearo users may also be able to benefit from this technology.
    If you use RTAs or clearos, then you know when you get towards the bottom of the tank, it is hard to vape those last few drops /1ml out, without getting dry or burnt hits, with TC you could completely empty your tank without getting a dry hit, I believe, I will put this to the test later.

vapetrail and Judith like this.
  12. vstanman

vstanman New Member

I also have both DNA40 and Yihi based mods and temp control works for me. Never had a dry burn even if the cotton was dry. Nickel is just a pain to build but you get the hang of it with practice, have started using twisted nickel and kanthal and they work good too. I mainly use temp control for flavor chasing and you really can taste the difference in the flavor profiles by varying the temp and wattage.

3FVAPE likes this.
  13. Nico and Laughter

Interesting I may just dabble in it.

3FVAPE likes this.
  14. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

I've got a couple of different TC mods, tried using TC modes and it works but not that big of a deal for me. After a play I found myself back to just using normal wattage modes. I've never burnt a wick yet unless I was actually trying to on any of my mods, but that said I think it is a good feature/idea that many might use.

DogMan likes this.
  15. Noe

We're all different, just as some vapers hate tobacco flavors & other love them, some like TC & some can do without it.
    What I find most appealing about it is the ability to vape a RDA completely dry, then top up with a different flavor, no rinsing 7 cleaning needed, without getting a lot of "crossover effect" from 2 different flavors mixing together.
    It makes flavor testing easier but there are other benefits too, like letting you know by the volume of vape that you need to re-drip, without burning your wick - which for experienced RDA users probably isn't an issue but for newbie RDA users this might save them some pain.

16. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

Can't argue with that, totally agree. I'll also add I've never tried using TC when dripping, might give it a go next time.

17. Noe

I've only run 1 tankful in a dedicated TC tank & I'm not really convinced it is needed for tanks TBH, however put a TC build in an RDA & it's a bit of a game changer, seems to me more like what it is most useful for.

RedDevil likes this.
  18. Victory Vape

Victory Vape Member VCA Approved Vendor

Dr Attila Danko convinced me to stock temperature control devices in the early days, he is convinced it is the future of vaping safely...we have only stocked authentics so far, Vapor Shark rDNA40 and Vapor Flask DNA40 and have had no problems with them other than one glitchy screen on the VS in the first batch - a good while back, I think Evolve solved those problems with subsequent batches....it will be interesting to see how the Chinese models like the eVic VT compare...most people agree temperature control can lead to safer vaping...less chance of formaldehyde production, etc...
    I agree with Noe that it is probably more useful in RDAs but more and more nickel coils are coming out for the tanks as well, SMOK GCT, Subtank Ni200 OCC Coils, Atlantis and Aspire, etc....

19. Noe

Ok so I have been testing a TC dedicated tank for a few days now & there are some minor benefits to it over regular wire tanks.
    For the most part, there is no difference, a normal clearo or RTA rarely gives a dry or burnt hit, unless there is some kind of user error involved.
    Likewise a TC tank performs the same, as long as you have the temp set at a proper level you won't get dry or burnt hits (it is possible but less likely).

There is 1 thing a TC tank can do better than a non-TC tank IMO & that is switch over flavors.
    In a normal tank, you would vape as much of the juice away as you could, then have some dregs (in most tanks) which you would wash out, often as much as 0.5ml. Then you would wash the tank & re-wick or replace the head or at the least rinse the head/wick & wait for it to dry before using it again.
    With a TC tank, you can vape it completely dry, leaving a very few drops of juice behind in the tank. The TC mode of your mod will prevent the wick from burning, if you have it set correctly, when the vapour becomes too thin, then you can simply top up with a new flavor, no need for replacing wicks/coils/heads or even rinsing them, rinsing the tank itself is a good idea but they can normally be dried in a minute with a paper towel.
    For me though, this is not enough of a reason to switch to TC mods/tanks from regular devices, if you have a TC mod & a compatible tank to use with it, then it's a nice bonus but I don't think anyone needs to rush out & get TC to have an enjoyable tanked vaping experience.

The main reason someone should get TC mods is if they use RDAs & even then, if you are experienced with RDAs, it is unlikely you will burn wicks etc, however in this scenario, TC comes into its own, dripping a few drops of one juice & enjoying that flavor, then dripping another few drops of another juice, then another & another & another, you could easily vape multiple flavors one after the other, without changing wicks, without dry burning, just drip vape until dry then drip the next.
    This is where TC really shines.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    Gasman, Angela, Judith and 2 others like this.
  20. Danyel

Danyel Member

Ive never really liked dripping, constantly I would stress, was there enough juice in the well?, me taking the top off every few pulls to check the wick, pulling cautiously praying to not get a dry hit between checks. Then I got a TC unit, and all that has changed. I now just fill my dripper up and pull away until I notice the vapour starting to drop off. At this point I whip out the drip tip, and add another 15 drops and off I go again. TC, at least for me, has meant Ive been able to thoroughly enjoy the dripping experience without worrying about burning wicks. I do not see the point of using TC with a tank system, unless of course the tank being used, was one that was prone to having juice flow problems, and then in my case, if I was getting dry hits from a tank, it would be in the trash anyway.