What are your early impressions of temperature control?

Discussion in 'Temperature Control' started by DogMan, Jun 6, 2015.

?

How do you find temperature control?

1. Love it, most flavourful vape ever

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I like it, haven't burnt a wick since I got it

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. It is just OK

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Not a fan, whispy vapour at best

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't see the point over a provari/hana etc

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. Other

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dennis_Loki

Dennis_Loki Member

On my intro thread I mentioned I didn't own any box mods as beyond battery life I didn't see the point, and on this thread again I didn't really see the point.

A month or so later I'm the proud owner of an MVP3, Sigelei 100w I've used daily with my ego one collection and today my evic tc arrived.

First impressions are similar to above in that it's dripping where it really shines (building coils is knocking on my door as I type) but I must say it has a niche for me at least in flavour production.

My first 2 box mods sport silo tanks and I've had to jack up the amount of doubler used to around 75% to get similar flavour, and I use them with 1.6-1.8 bvc coils at around 15-20 watts depending on juice to find the balance of vapour production without occasional burnt hits when I go further depending on the juice used (generally around 50-50vg), but overall I still get a muted taste compared to the egos.

The biggest difference after a few hours of tc is the improved taste without having to lung hit below 1ohm (the 0.5 coils on egos get too hot too quickly for my taste).

With temp control I can jack it up where I need it and even when chain vaping to put it through its paces I'm yet to get a hint of burn, but am seriously enjoying the flavour. I've tried the ego one mega tank with nickel, and a silo with vapour shark temp coils and both give that moist flavourful experience I've been missing, with the only difference being what temp I set for each (ego gets nicely warm at around 260-280, silo only needs around 220 for some reason).

Also worthy of mention is the heat received in the mouth can still take a few hits to hit a warmer place, but definitely noticing the difference with limiting when compared to either the 0.5 ego coils or Atlantis sub coils.

I'm yet to try the titanium ego coils i got, nor the kanga sub tc coils I'm waiting on, but will comment when I do, and on a side note I can't get over the paint job on this sucker! I got the black and red model, and it's up there with showroom car paint jobs in quality, even has little sparkly flecks of blue within the black. Much as I'll probably regret it, I won't be using the silicone cover with this baby!

I haven't even begun to procrastinate

DaveJ likes this.
  2. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

My - how quickly things change Dennis! It certainly wasn't very long ago you were asking about the worth of box mods - and look at you now!

Enjoy.

Dennis_Loki likes this.
  3. Dennis_Loki

Dennis_Loki Member

Yeah, I got a real problem here... Evic tc straight to daily driver btw

DaveJ likes this.
  4. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

hehe - a problem you share with many around here. :)

Browny likes this.
  5. Dennis_Loki

Dennis_Loki Member

Loving this box mod, but one feature I don't get is the wattage control while in tc mode. This baby puts out 30-60w on whatever mode you chose, but even on high temps rarely hits the 30 let alone more. I can only assume this would be for ultra low ohm builds?

6. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Member

damn it now I gotta buy an evic-vt as well. Sig 150 hasnt even arrived yet!

7. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

I am waiting on Vape mail from Victory Vape, I have ordered the 40watt TC Istick, will let you know how its goes :)

3FVAPE, Catweazle and Judith like this.
  8. Dennis_Loki

Dennis_Loki Member

Thought id give a semi informed update of my temp control journey.

I've added a vaporshark dna40 to my collection, and have definitely noticed some subtle differences. Namely, the evic doesn't quite get to the temps you set, confirmed when I finally had a spare hour to watch pbusardo's review. Differences get larger the hotter you go, anywhere from 10-30 shy of what you should be hitting, and it wasn't too big a deal to me until i cranked the dna40. Not a deal breaker, and for the price still not a huge issue, but worthy of mention.

Also worthy of note is issues with ego one mega attys under heavy use. While I'm still an ego one fanboy as a unit, when paired for temp control and higher voltages, the juice simply can't re wick fast enough to keep up. While this doesn't cause burnt hits per se as the temp kicks in, it does occasionally cause the odd dry hit.

Now for the good news, paired with my silo tanks in temp mode nickel, this thing shines. No dries, no burns, this is the atty it should have been paired with in the first place, or indeed another larger one. I can't help but think that even the delta 2 would have been a better choice as they're both made by joyetech, but clearly the ego is their mainstream push right now.

I've also put my kanga sub tank plus through its paces, and has hit its marks on everything I did with it, albeit with no titanium coil available as yet. I was able to dial in somewhat of a happy medium with this tank as usually it either won't produce the vapour I want, or it would be too hot (time to tap out of sub tanks methinks).

When I take this in regular vv mode, it's possibly the best balance of size, features and price of any of my recently acquired box mods.

To summarise, this is a solid entry-level temp control box, but a fantastic one without. Size, form, feel, battery level performance and price make this a no brainer even with its watered down temperatures.

Now, is temp control worth it? For me, not yet.

In my opinion, this feature still in its infancy is more skewed to the rebuilders and drippers. Even with its lower than asked temps, this will stop any burnt hits period. Personally I find the nickel coils can leave a little tickle in my throat, and as for the titanium, they burn even cooler and as I only had them in my ego one, can't say for sure whether they're any good.

I would hazard a guess most builders have some pretty tight hardware already, so based on temp control alone you'd probably be better with a dna40 or something similar.

If like me you're new to the building and have no temp control devices so far, you would do well to grab one of these. As I stated this will be a daily driver in regular vv mode as a fallback anyway, and is tiny enough to fit in a jeans pocket for out and about. It's compatible with all types of wire, and the few issues it has when compared to more expensive models out at the moment still make this a worthy purchase.

Hope there is some light shed in my ramblings for anyone considering buying one of these or getting into temp control in the near future.

laurie9300 likes this.
  9. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Has anyone resolved the debate about spaced or contact coils with nickel. I use an rdna 40 and IPV 120s for tc, and did get odd responses with contact coils on the rdna, it kept reading temp limited, so have been using the mech screw ever since. Then see some lovely nickel contact coils in coil pron that a reported to work brilliantly.

10. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

When using TC, I am favoring Titanium wire for the coil, the taste is cleaner on Ti than I get from Ni wire.

11. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Bat Girl

Where are you getting your titanium wire from Noe? I just cant cope with the taste of nickel.

12. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I've seen a few vendors stocking Ti wire now, I'm using 26G (or 0.4mm) Ti , the same size diameter as my Kanthal wire, which is easy to wind on a Kuro coiler.
    I got mine from a UK vendor before it was becoming common but i have even seen some Au vendors have it now.