What are your preferences in coil wire?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by DogMan, Sep 26, 2017.

1. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

a few months ago, @jobics noted how the thinner the outer wrap on clapton wire, the more flavourful the coil will be

it's that kind of notation i'm looking for

my happy place is 26awg nichrome, i find this ramps up quick without excessive wattage, and resistance is OK, although i'd prefer a smidge lower to sometimes give me 1 extra wrap for surface area

either parallel single round wire, or 26/36-40 clapton

other wire types hit my throat, but i still need to try titanium

2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I've settled on using Kanthal as the wire material for my coils, tried SS, Titanium, Nickel, Nichrome etc & none are as good as Kanthal IMO, SS comes close second & is what I'd use if I was building a TC coil.
    I know Nichrome ramps up a tad quicker but I'll take the slower ramp up from Kanthal & no metalic taste over Nichrome with its metalic taste.
    Titanium is good but it is not the easiest to work with, I only experimented a little with it before I decided TC was not something I really needed, it may get a look in further down the track, if I go back to trying TC builds.
    Nickel, is the worst coil wire ever, if you like your vape with a "healthy" dose of metal flavor, then by all means use nickel(this is why Nichrome tastes metalic too), terrible stuff & I'll never recommend anyone uses it!

For straight round wire builds I like 26G Kanthal or 28G sometimes depending on the atty. I find I can reach all the ohm values I want to use, using these 2 gauges of Kanthal, all the way down to 0.2 ohm if needed.
    Usually now though I prefer Fused Claptons, as I have found them to give better flavor than regular round wire builds & Fused Claptons are better than Claptons for flavor production too.