what do i get next?

Discussion in 'General Hardware Discussion' started by cloudwarrior, Feb 15, 2017.

1. cloudwarrior

cloudwarrior Member

pretty much have all i need at the moment to really start winding back the smoking.

Mod - check , eVic VTC mini
    tank - check , joytech cubis
    juices - check
    nicotine - check
    plain PG& VG - check

but id like to give myself a few more options in addition to the stuff i have above.
    was thinking of making my next step a new Atomiser/clearomizer/tank or two. one with a small juice capacity so i can try out flavours more easily. and an upgrade to the Cubis. at this stage i want them all to work with the Evic.
    currently using the joytech coils 1 & 1.5 ohm and vaping MTL

i do get slightly confused on the tank styles. sub ohm dripper etc. i know the terms and the meaning. but say i get a sub ohm tank am i not able to use coils above 1 ohm?
    i want the tank to be as versatile as possible.

later down the track id like to get a new pico sized mod and tank for convenience when out and about. but thats a topic for another thread

2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I think the best way to test new flavors is with a RDA, doesn't need to be an expensive one, clones are cheap & perfect for this application.

It sounds like you haven't had any experience with rebuilding but a RDA the best way to test small amounts of juice.
    You'll need an RDA, wire or pre-made coils for rebuilding, if you get wire you'll also need something to wind coils on, wick (cotton or rayon, most choose cotton), an ohm meter to check that you don't have any short circuits, some tweezers & /or pliers, & screwdrivers or allen keys (depending on your screws in the RDA). That's the basics needed, watching some youtube tutorials will help a great deal too.

3. cloudwarrior

cloudwarrior Member

I don't have any problems with doing the DIY thing. Got all the above tools. Decent multimeter etc.
    but would i be only using the RDA for juice testing?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

4. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

TFV4 is pretty versatile. Has sub ohm, and temp control, and ohm+ coils.

Did you read Laurie's vapers dictionary? I can find a link if you like.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

5. cloudwarrior

cloudwarrior Member

yeah if you have a link that would be great

6. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

7. Noe

Up to you, some vapers prefer using an RDA & dripping, rather than using a tank. Actually I've been using my AEOLUS RDAs a lot more recently, rather than using any tanks but I usually use tanks, I just wanted a change.
    I always use RDAs for testing new juices though, far easier to change wicks or clean out if needed than a tank, tanks are IMO for juices you know you like & will be happy to have full of that juice to vape all day.

Something like this will be good, not too hard to build on & not too expensive https://www.fasttech.com/p/6548000

8. cloudwarrior

cloudwarrior Member

That's what my theory was. Just a cheap option to try flavours. And a regular tank for daily use.

The thing I like about this whole thing is that for less than the price of a packet of smokes you can get a new bit of gear

I do see myself having a few set ups. Cloud chasing kit, edc Vape kit, juice testing kit. So on and so forth

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Judith, iamTezr, Noe and 1 other person like this.
  9. Noe

Another option is a RDTA, which is both a tank & in a pinch can be used as a dripper. So you can use it like a RDA to test flavors but then fill the tank to use it like a RTA.

IMO the best RDTAs are made by Ijoy, I reviewed the Limitless plus here: http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/threads/ijoy-limitless-plus-rdta-review-build-guide.3972/ but they also have the Combo RDTA & Limitless Classic RDTAs which can be converted into RDAs, the Limitless plus can't but you can still build the deck & use it without filling the tank for an effective RDA.
    If you want lots of clouds & flavor these RDTAs will give you that.

They will work with you mod but there will be some overhang of the atty , since are all the ones I listed are 25mm diameter, there is also a Ijoy Limitless RDTA which is 22mm dia, that won't have overhang.
    Personally, I think if you're going to use an RDTA, you want a dual 18650 battery mod, for better run times & most of these are 25mm atty compatible.

cloudwarrior likes this.
  10. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

As Noe suggested, an RDA is the best method to test flavours. You can use the RDA for testing flavours only or use it as a dripper if you want. Your preference really.
    For me, my first experience with an RDA clone wasn't good at all. Was too hot for my liking and I couldn't test the flavours properly so ended up getting another Kanger subtank mini to do my test. I was using 1.0ohm and 0.5ohm coils on my main Subtank mini and for my test tank I was using the RBA to test the juice. It's a bit more wastage than using an RDA but I was comfortable with the tank and the bad experience with the RDA I just didn't want to ruin my vaping experience altogether.
    Using the RBA was good and cost effective as I wind my own coils and wick them myself. I would prime it, pour just enough juice so the cotton can soak it and I would test the flavour. If it was no good, ill pour it out (yes a lot of wastage compared to using an RDA) and if the bad flavour is too strong and still lingers after some dry burning I would replace the cotton and try with a new flavour.
    Now I'm more comfortable with using an RDA and testing flavours is quick and easy without wastage of any juice.
    I guess everyone is different and you may find you enjoy using an RDA for the first time.

So your shopping list would be a clone RDA and probably another tank or two for rotation. The Vika Fantasy clone is a good MTL tank and cheap too. Big baby beast to see if you like Direct Lung inhale and that comes with an RBA option too.
    Also probably good idea to pick up the RBA for the cubis as well.

There's so many mods/tanks/rda on the market now and it's so hard to recommend something because what I like you may not like it. Maybe have a look at our review sections and have a read and see if any fits your criteria?

Judith, cloudwarrior and Noe like this.
  11. cloudwarrior

cloudwarrior Member

Comprehensive review there, Noe
    As a general question of RTDA's go with leakage?

I know the cubist I use now floated around in my work bag for a few months without losing a drop

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

12. Noe

I haven't had mine leak but I try to keep the tank upright at most times & rarely is it on its side. How you wick them can make a big difference to whether they will leak on their side or not, I'm fairly confident mine won't leak a lot if left on its side for some time, because I make sure the wicking channels are properly filled but I just don't need to have it on its side often.

13. cloudwarrior

cloudwarrior Member

I'll look into the Vika and also a RDA

I'm sure I'll go down the coil building route soon enough, just a matter of experimenting and seeing what suits and what I like

Cheers

14. cloudwarrior

cloudwarrior Member

Ok cool, like I mentioned before it probably wouldn't be my EDC tank. But just good to know as pouch I keep my gear and mood in can be in my bag for a while

15. cloudwarrior

cloudwarrior Member

Looking at the TFV4 mini now.
    Do you know much about the rebuildable coil for that one?
    I like the idea of being able to change the capacity from 2.5ml up to 5ml

16. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

The one you're after is the TFV4 Micro.
    That comes as a kit with 2.5ml, 3.5ml and 5ml.
    Also comes with an RBA(rebuildable coil- Single coil.) too.

If you're patience buying from FT(Fasttech) would be the easiest place to find them.
    I couldn't find the TFV4 micro locally when I was looking so got it from FT instead.
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007487/4302300-authentic-smoktech-smok-micro-tfv4-sub-ohm-tank

17. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

[​IMG]

Included is the TF-RCA
    Single coil build RBA.
    [​IMG]

If you want to venture into Dual coils you can purchase the TF-R2.
    [​IMG]

And then there's the...TF-R3...yep triple coil setup..

[​IMG]

18. cloudwarrior

cloudwarrior Member

Will I be able to build coils at around the 1-1.5 ohm mark ?

Or will I need to buy replacement disposal coils

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  19. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

http://www.steam-engine.org

Yes. Use that to calculate. 28awg or 26awg is a good start for high resistance

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

iamTezr likes this.
  20. Noe

1.0 - 1.5 ohm are not cloud chasing coils generally & the TFV4 is basically a cloud chasing tank.
    I think this may be a good choice for you, it has 4 different tank/atty configurations, RDA, RDTA, clearomiser tank & squonking RDA (will need a separate squonk mod to go with it): https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10025850/5620300

Since you are looking at an RDA for flavor testing & a tank, this could fit both of those roles.

iamTezr likes this.