1. Rest in peace, Aqualung. Thank you for the magic.
    Dismiss Notice

What TC/VW Box mod should I get??

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by sirfoxey, Jun 24, 2016.

1. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

I have just started researching Box mods for me to buy. I would love to hear others suggestions might be.

Few key things the mod must have

TC - SS needs to be supported
    Watt - 100+

DNA 200 - Not against getting a DNA200 board, but I do not run (or have plans to in the foreseeable future) or have access to a windows based computer, so many of the features are not accessible for me (unless they have started supporting non windows based computers with their supplied software)

2. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

i think they added mac os x but not others

3. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Mmmm I like the Kbox 160. Reviews suggest the TC mode is very good. Apparently it shares the same chip as the 160 dripbox which is reported to be superior to the other Kbox series (like the 200).

It is credited as being firmware upgradable but I can find no evidence that it has happened with other models that made the same claim! IE they seem to sell devices that are upgradable but supercede them with new models and never get around to the upgrades!

2 bats is a major plus for me so is being shiny silver...

sirfoxey likes this.
  4. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Not a DNA, but the RX200S has been awesome since I got it, and won't break the bank.
    If you want to drop a little more, the DNA200 versions is meant to be good too.
    Both support SS/Ti/Ni in TC mode, and can be updated via OS X (not sure about a Linux system though?).

EDIT: Also, 3x 18650's means a long run time compared to a lot of other mods (discounting LiPo of course).

sirfoxey likes this.
  5. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Eleaf iStick 200W TC VW APV Box Mod, a 3 battery design that's even cheaper then the RX and upgradeable. It gas reviewed well.

6. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

It is very much up there on my list of possible mods, the reviews I have read thus far show it to be a one of the mods with the least negative issues by all reviewers.

7. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

Anyone here have any thoughts on the SMOK Quantum 80w Mod. I know it doesn't meet my 100w requirement but it has taken my interest.

8. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

I would broadly include the Cuboid. Mine's been solid........

rupert likes this.
  9. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

My RX200W is my most used mod now, the extra run time due to a 3rd 18650 makes it a winner. Before getting it in my hands I thought it would be big & bulky feeling but I was surprised that it is very comfortable feeling, in fact it feels better in the hand than my Sigelei 100W plus mod (2x 18650).
    It's a little heavier but with an extra battery that is to be expected.
    I really didn't expect to like it as much as I do, I bought it because it was at a rediculous price on FT after discount code at easter time, so glad I did, 4-5 days run times at 45W using LG HG2s to power it has been great.

Cloudy and rupert like this.
  10. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

Thanks @Noe I do have the RX200 currently but have found the 510 is not as good as when I got it and the RX200S appears to have a worse 510 from the reviews. If the 510 in either the original or S versions was better I would get another without thinking. It is one of the main reasons I have started the process of research a new mod.

What blows me away is there isn't a mod which anyone reviews well apart from the custom made ones. Some get reasonable reviews, but either is under powered for what I want or doesn't do TC in SS and TI, only one of them alone with NI. Given most of wires these days are SS or TI having both is really something I would want. Really wish my electrical and DIY skills were even half reasonable (and I had space for tools too) as I would seriously look at building my own.

11. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I'm mainly using a Griffin clone on my RX200, havent had any issues with the 510 yet & I did try the Smok TFV4 on it - which i found wasn't an ideal pairing, the TFV4's 510 connector is a little longer than the RX200 likes.
    It's a matter of finding the right tank to use on the RX & then you shouldn't have problems I think. If you like RTAs I'd suggest a Griffin for your RX200, you never have to take the Griffin off if you don't want to, I do when removing the wicks to replace but I can see that I really don't need to it is just habit.
    If you don't like dual coil tanks, I think the Augvape Merlin is virtually the same as the Griffin but designed for single coils, haven't seen any clone versions of it yet though.
    If the 510 on my RX was beyond usable, I'd look at replacing it with an after market 510, installing the 510 isn't all that difficult(even if you have limited skills) & once you have you won't have that 510 problem again.

I thought the 200S version was supposed to have fixed the 510 issue but I haven't been keeping up religiously with the way gear is functioning lately lol, there is too much to keep up with, the amount of new products coming out makes it very hard to know everything about all of them.

12. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

subyXV likes this.
  13. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

Well rapidly watched about 8 reviews of the Laisimo L3 and darn near convinced I will buy it.

14. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

don't do it tonight

i know nothing about the mod, but they sem to have aimed for as many possible fail points as they could squeeze in

sleep on it at a minimum

15. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

Too late, but it is 11 days+ pre-order on FT (went FT as could pay in BTC rather than some other sites which listed it in stock) so can still sleep on it, but from all reports via various youtube reviewers a solid mod and has all the improvements from the L1 version. Both Mike Vapes and Vapin Heathen who I feel are well rounded and trusted reviewers had many good things and only a few negative things. Vapin Heathen did a more detailed review testing all the TC options with ticks.
    I will continue to do more research and have plenty of time to cancel the FT order should I find something I don't like enough to cancel the order.

16. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

Woot my mod is showing "Ready to Ship" on FT, should arrive in 2-3 weeks now :drool:

17. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

So been giving it a solid go over the last few days since getting it and love it.
    The only issue I have with it is the touch screen can be too sensitive and unlock while putting it back in your pocket and you then pull it out again and find the settings have been adjusted. This could be easily fixed by changing it from locking/unlocking by swiping either left or right at the bottom of the screen to swiping from top to bottom to lock and from top to bottom to unlock the touch screen. As you never really wrap your hand around it from top to bottom, always around the sides.
    Other thank that, wattage and TC mods rock.
    The mod is a little smaller than I expected and a tall tank which I have only tried installing but not using yet, have to recoil and wick it first looks fine but I think might be a little top heavy when left sitting on a table. small to mid size tanks I think would be better, but as I said. Yet to try and will report back.