What to try next

Discussion in 'Ask the Veterans' started by salamanda, Mar 26, 2018.

1. salamanda

salamanda Member

I have an dilemma and am not sure which way to turn,

My dilemma is my hubby who smokes 30 cigs a day and has been for 50 years and just been diagnosed with CPOD.
    He just cant seem to tolerate vaping. I've tried a nautilus, aios and even purchased a hooker with an aspire proteus thinking water may smooth the vape.
    As soon as the vape touches his mouth he coughs so bad.
    Apart from the usual morning cough smoking doesn't seem to make him cough, which very strange.

My thoughts are, maybe try some smooth nic salts base from nicriver. The the nic salt juices are pretty pricey and not a lot of reviews so I'm not willing to take the chance on pre-made (but I am open to any suggestions)
    I'm thinking of trying the SirenV2 don't really need a mod as I have plenty

Trying different setups for him has cost a small fortune so my reluctance is warranted.
    Please don't misunderstand being pensioners I save up to buy him what is needed (his health is way more important) if it works the saving on cigs will be enormous
    and its a bonus to able PIF I have started a couple of vapers with his off casts offs

I have been vaping for 4 years (adversary this month) I have no issues with all my setups I'm a very happy camper.
    I smoked for 43 years and the sole reason for quitting was a happy accident.
    My son picked up a CE4 kit and I gave it a try and just new he was onto something, I didn't want to give up I liked smoking but cost of cigs in oz was a real issue.
    I went onto other vape kits and DIY my own juice and never looked back. (I sub ohm DL 3 mg)

If anyone has suggestions I all ears thank you so much..

2. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

What is the PG/VG ratio in the e-liquid that makes hubby cough? Many people suggest that PG gives a 'throat hit' that some enjoy and others .. don't. I'd recommend trying a high VG e-liquid (ideal being 0 PG / 100 VG).

What flavors were tried?

Paging @Charles Vaper for more tips..

3. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

You can DIY nic salts. Just add an acid like citric acid or benzoic acid. Google for ratios to neutralize pH.

Even apple cider vinegar will smooth it out some.

My Mum has the same problem and no solution. She's given up trying now

4. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Hi Salamanda, Could you tell us what flavours your husband has tried that have given him these issues? Brand and flavour name if possible. The fact that he can tolerate smoke and not vapour is somewhat odd but there could be reasons such as- The flavours with or without nicotine are far too strong. The wattage is too high. The coil/s are bad. I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this.

5. Charles Vaper

One other thing. If you're ever up in Sydney, I'd be happy to meet with you and let hubby try an assortment of mods and tanks. I have numerous starter kits and mods, as well as quite a few tanks. I also have lots of e-liquid he can try. I've been doing this for smokers for 6 years and I'm certain I can help you.

Have to go but will check in tomorrow morning and during the day.

6. salamanda

salamanda Member

Thanks for reply's and suggestions

I have so far made all his juices and they are all VG heavy when I purchased my nic it was PG only from Hiliq, but apart from flavors its probably 80% VG or as close to as I can get.
    Depending on the recipe my juices consist of mainly FA,CAP,TFA and Flavorah

Ive stuck to simple recipes he has tried a few strawberry recipes, coconuts and a mild tobaccos at full strength and diluted down to 3/4 strength thinking that it could be the flavors I have tried just VG with nic with no luck not to mention he just didn't like it.

The tank Ive had the most success with was an old Orchid base with a kayfun 4 chimney and bell cap, which had a 316L SS 1.3 ohm single coil running at 12w with a recipe of white rabbit clone at 12% nic.(which he really liked) but still coughed. Being that its a plastic bell cap It wont last forever so the closest tank I thought might be the Siren V2

I have a couple of Cubis BF RBA Coil Heads for his AIOs on the way, thinking I can control the coils that I put in them. (Which I planned on putting a 28g 316L SS 1.3 ohm coil in)
    I have tried kanthal with rayon, muji, cotton bacon and Ko Gen Do the best results so far have been with 316L SS and muji.(but still not good)

DogMan I am going to give the citric acid a try 10% solution (1 gram : 10ml PG)
    I'm sorry I don't quite understand the pH balance (I gather you would need a kit of some sort to test the pH) but from what Ive read that ratio wont hurt him.

Charles Vaper thank you so much for your kind offer but unfortunately he doesn't venture to far from home. He was a plasterer for 35 years and has damaged his neck and back and with the COPD makes it a even harder.

I was toying with an Idea I read on ECR that you can melt candy and add a drop or 2 of nic to the melted candy, cool it then suck on them. He loves to eucalyptus and honey lollies soothes his throat.
    So it may worth a try.

I hope I given you enough info thanks again

7. Charles Vaper

Firstly, let me just say that you're far more advanced than I assumed. Kayfuns, RBA's, S.S and so on.
    I'm going to ponder this a bit this afternoon but I must admit I'm rather perplexed. Other than harsh nic, too much nic, and or too high of a percentage of flavourings, I'm wondering if and how any hardware issues come into play; such as burnt coils but judging by your experience, I doubt it.

I've never met anyone who has such a strong reaction to vapour, but I'm sure they exist.

I had another look at all your text but has hubby ever vaped any quality commercial e-liquids, such as Naked, Charlie Noble, Spacejam, Cuttwood and so on? AND has he ever vaped with zero nicotine? About a third of those I've helped make the switch don't use nicotine. I'll be back later today..

Flea likes this.
  8. salamanda

salamanda Member

Charles I have tried a couple of pre made juices from Vapor-eyes and Mount Baker but nothing premium.
    I know with flavor mixing there are some flavors that can easily become overbearing and tickle the back of your throat.
    My next step at the moment is to try the citric acid test. I will pick some up tomorrow when I shop...
    PS all day vapes has a sale on spacejam and cuttwood. Do you have any recommendations, I understand taste is subjective but you may have tried one that is a little more smoother than the others.
    his flavor preferences are Coconut, strawberry, peaches, vanilla and tobacco

9. Charles Vaper

Let us know how you get along but other than what's already been suggested and discussed, I'm scratching my head.
    As for e-liquid suggestions, it's been some time as I make my own but I would recommend you try Divine Juices, their tobaccos are marvellous and smooth, affordable too. Better than other commercial juices I've tried.
    Try Bewdy or BBB.

Keep in touch and good luck.

10. Gabby

Gabby Member

Look, what I'm about to say may be irrelevant, and sound silly, but when I first vaped a year or so ago, I automatically tried to suck the vapour into my lungs (direct to lung = MTL). Most smokers, including me, smoke mouth to lung (MTL), but for some reason I defaulted to DTL, possibly thinking the PV was like an inhaler. And I coughed, badly. Still do if I try that trick.

Somewhere - maybe here - I found out about MTL and I could vape without coughing no problem, with 70% PG.

MTL is quite different from DTL, because you mix the vapour with air as you take it to the lung, which dilutes the mixture. Perhaps you can try different techniques for this step, eg open mouth or lips pursed. Or taking less into the mouth at first.

BTW, 1ohm and 10W is about the same as I use (in an eGo stick).

Good luck, anyway.

11. salamanda

salamanda Member

Yes I understand exactly what you are explaining Gabby, when I started 4 years ago I was the same, I learned to take in air before inhaling the vapor into my mouth I only had to do it for a couple of weeks and then I got use the vapor, now I have no issues.
    I have taught my hubby to do the same , There is no chance of him doing DTL he sucks in the smallest amount of vape into his mouth then proceeds to cough, and like I explained earlier he can suck on a cig like there's no tomorrow with no problems.
    He seen the Doc last Monday and he was prescribed antibiotics as he has chest infection.
    I have noticed him more often than usual puffing on a couple of AIOs I have set up at all times next to him. I hoping the Doc might have frightened him about the smoking.

12. pavig

pavig New Member

If possible I would try a pre nicced premium ejuice at medium low Nic concentration to remove a few variables out of the equation. They're well mixed, pre-steeped, and the nicotine in them is generally of high quality, tolerable, and well balanced.

Though I started mostly DIY it was a premium ejuice which helped me adapt to vaping most. Naked 100 Very Cool is a not too sweet natural tasting berry eliquid with cooling menthol. I found that the balance of the flavour and the menthol throat hit helped me regulate my inhalation to get a satisfying Vape without coughing. I can't explain quite why, but inhaling vapor is different technique to smoking and I found that liquid more natural to enjoy than my DIY experiments.

I now have a better tolerance to my odd DIY recipes, but occasionally pick up a premium liquid to see what other people are enjoying and get ideas for improving my own.

It is possible also that you have an unusual batch of pg, vg or Nic. Nicotines particularly vary in quality and oxidise as they get older becoming peppery and intolerable to sensitive vapers. Depending on the flavourings you use (particularly if you are mixing high VG) long steep times (over two weeks) might be required to remove harshness. Us acclimatised vapers are no longer particularly sensitive to subtleties that might make a new vaper cough or gag from nausea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Sorry for the very late reply but hopefully you are getting notifications from this thread or at least are still around to read replies.

The candy idea is something you could explore, however have you heard of snus?
    Snus is a spitless, oral tobacco, that comes in a pouch form, in various flavors & strengths. It has been researched for over 30 years & studies suggest it is nearly as harm free as not smoking. Where it has been used & accepted the most, Sweden, has the lowest tobacco related morbidity rate of any European country.
    It is not all that expensive either, a tin of 20 pouches is approx $5 & depending on nicotine intake needed could last a few days (pouches are generally put in for 1-2hrs), however when importing them into Aus. customs often lumps snus with tobacco excise taxes & sends out a bill which is roughly equal to five times the cost of a tin, making the total cost much higher.

I would suggest taking a look in the snus & THR subsection of the forum, where a lot more info has been posted, including (now one of the last threads in that subsection) my recipe & method for making an inexpensive snus substitute at home, from ingredients you'll likely already have or can buy very cheaply. The only thing you'll need to order from overseas to make the snus substitute is the pouches, which are also inexpensive(shipping will likely be the greatest cost), as a vaper that mixes their own juice you'll already have the nic needed or know where to get it :)
    I'd also suggest trying a few commercially available snus varieties first, a small order of 2-3 tins isn't going to break the bank, even if customs decides to lump its extortion tax onto the cost.